Questions about selling a firearm

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required
Post Reply
User avatar
MDWine
Sighting In
Sighting In
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 14:25:47
Location: Manassas Park, Va

Questions about selling a firearm

Post by MDWine »

I have a handgun for sale. (I'll post it to the forum soon.)
My question is "how" to verify that the buyer is a reasonable person.
I've never sold a firearm to a stranger! All of my firearms have been sold to folks I know and TRUST!

So the question... After asking for identification from a buyer, is it unreasonable to get a copy of a drivers license? (I'm kinda border-line on this one!) What process is generally used these days?

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen, if you please...

Thanks!

Michael
NRA Life Member & Certified Instructor
N-SSA Skirmisher, VCDL
Va. Hunter Education Master Instructor
User avatar
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 3851
Joined: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:14:27
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Post by VBshooter »

Requesting to see some form of ID is acceptable. Wanting a copy to keep is going too far IMHO and would cause me to walk away. Many private sales involve the buyer simply showing 2 forms if ID. A DL,voter card or CHP are all good. Many will also suggest a Bill Of Sale be written, That's also fine if you want to do it. Ultimately it's up to you how far you want to take the issue. It's a private sale so you and the buyer can come to any terms that are acceptable to you both. Just get it all clear before the transaction starts,.
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker
User avatar
davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 784
Joined: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 09:22:53

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Post by davasmith »

I'd agree 100% with VBshooter. I have in the past when buying a firearm in a private sale, had the seller give a name and number with the serial number of the firearm and put it in a safe at my house. I'd do the same with a private sale if I sold a firearm. License and CHP should more than suffice. Josh :coffee:
User avatar
davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 784
Joined: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 09:22:53

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Post by davasmith »

By the way, what ya' got?
User avatar
MDWine
Sighting In
Sighting In
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 14:25:47
Location: Manassas Park, Va

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Post by MDWine »

Thanks guys... that's what I was looking for.
I have a bill of sale that has the firearm info as well as a place for both parties information. I was just a bit fuzzy on how far I need to go to protect myself!

Thanks again


.40 Smith & Wesson Sigma
4 mags, cable lock, orig box & Paperwork
light rail add-on
<300 rounds thru it

I'll post a picture and ad some time today.
NRA Life Member & Certified Instructor
N-SSA Skirmisher, VCDL
Va. Hunter Education Master Instructor
User avatar
DWinter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:19:17

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Post by DWinter »

After some tweaking my Sigma 40 was a good shooter. Good luck with the sale.
"SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, EITHER STAND BEHIND THEM OR STAND IN FRONT OF THEM".
User avatar
gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 7189
Joined: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:28:34

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Post by gunderwood »

VBshooter wrote:Requesting to see some form of ID is acceptable. Wanting a copy to keep is going too far IMHO and would cause me to walk away. Many private sales involve the buyer simply showing 2 forms if ID. A DL,voter card or CHP are all good. Many will also suggest a Bill Of Sale be written, That's also fine if you want to do it. Ultimately it's up to you how far you want to take the issue. It's a private sale so you and the buyer can come to any terms that are acceptable to you both. Just get it all clear before the transaction starts,.
+1

I don't bother with the BoS though unless I have too because the seller wants it and it is a really good deal. To each his own. You can find whole threads debating the BoS if you search.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”