Page 1 of 1
public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:13:48
by cigarmanva
being new to shooting in va i'm not entirely sure of how things work down here. I know in PA we have state gaming lands that you can go out to and at no charge put lead down range. While these facilities are neither in great conditions nor do they tend to attract the safest shooters they are far better then not shooting at all. Does VA have places like this and if so are they near charlottesville at all, this town doesn't have much near it so I"m not holding my breath.
also, are there any good ranges near c'ville that don't have ridiculous requirements to join? I prefer private ranges but the one that I've found near where I live has requirements that I am not willing to do to become a memeber
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:30:57
by MountainCat
There's a couple in Harrisonburg:
http://vagunforum.net/range-reports/nat ... t3428.html
http://vagunforum.net/range-reports/top ... t3429.html
There aren't any that I know of to the south within a reasonable distance. Richmond has a few but that's still at least an hour drive.
I thought there was something NW of the town. The guys at Terrapins will know.
IIRC, Rivana essentially does a background check complete with personal references akin to applying for a new job. I don't know if that's standard for private clubs or not. Having large amounts of LEOs at the club probably helps raise the bar for joining. It's a nice setup though. Have you visited there yet?
BTW, If you head out to Harrisonburg, take a detour by the Mt View gun shop. Lots of stuff and good prices.
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:50:15
by MountainCat
MountainCat wrote:
I thought there was something NW of the town. The guys at Terrapins will know.
Sorry, I meant North East of town.
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:13:05
by cigarmanva
thanks mountincat. I've seen Rivana on line but i've not been there before. I don't mind having a drive of an hour or so, which is about what it is to harrisonburgh for me, for a nice place to shoot.
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 03:18:32
by Diomed
cigarmanva wrote:also, are there any good ranges near c'ville that don't have ridiculous requirements to join? I prefer private ranges but the one that I've found near where I live has requirements that I am not willing to do to become a memeber
Aw, Rivanna's not that bad. The work hours are pretty flexible, both in when they can be done and what you can do, and the other requirements are pretty easily met.
If you wanted to try it out, drop me a line, it can be arranged...
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:17:38
by cigarmanva
Diomed wrote:cigarmanva wrote:also, are there any good ranges near c'ville that don't have ridiculous requirements to join? I prefer private ranges but the one that I've found near where I live has requirements that I am not willing to do to become a memeber
Aw, Rivanna's not that bad. The work hours are pretty flexible, both in when they can be done and what you can do, and the other requirements are pretty easily met.
If you wanted to try it out, drop me a line, it can be arranged...
i'll keep this in mind, thanks
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 01:07:03
by firstcavapache64
There is a public range at the CW Phelps WMA near Culpeper. It is run by the Virginia Fish and Game but it has no official range control. It is open 6 months of the year or so. Usually around the hunting season. Check out the site at
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=17 for details. It's a 100 yard range with covered bench's and gun racks. The downside is no pistols allowed, only rifles and shotguns. There is usually a little wait on weekends and a volunteer range safety officer with the NRA helping out. I have been there about 10-15 times and it's good for sighting in a new scope or your hunting rifles. I like it because they keep one of the range lanes for disabled shooters. So if you're disabled and that lane if being used by someone without a disability they have to give it up at the next cease fire. Also you can keep using it unless another disabled shooter shows up then you have 30 minutes. The shooters there have been a safe and friendly bunch for the most part. They have chicken wire fence strung up at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards. Bring your own targets and some clothes pins just in case they are out. People seem to take the clothes pins or they get shot. It can be hard to find, PM me if you want to go sometime and I can show you an easy way to go. Also, I am having a meet and greet Saturday, 3/27 in Culpeper. Check out the thread in the meet and greet forum for details. You are welcome to come and do some shooting. The more the merrier.
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:35:51
by cigarmanva
thanks for the info, but unfortunately i was looking to shoot my pistol. I saw the meet and greet and I'll be in pittsburgh at my friends wedding, i'll keep an eye out for the next one though
RRPC
Posted: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 14:14:25
by OldGuy
I'm in the process of joining RRPC. Submit application prior to first of the month, go to next monthly meeting (2nd Thurs) to be introduced, attend safety orientation meeting, get voted on my members at your second monthly meeting (mine is 4/8) and complete 4 hrs of service (schedule for that seems flexible). Takes some time calendar wise. I waited too long before just sending in the app. Should have done it back in Jan I'd be in now! Nice folks. Cookout before monthly meetings in warmer months. Next meeting (with cookout) is 4/8. I'll be there.
Cigarman: missed you today at Smoke shop on 4th st. was running low for the wekend

Had to fix that.
OG
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:16:54
by cigarmanva
I was there yesterday OG I had thought about going today but just didn't want to get outa the house, having a lazy day it seems.
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 19:05:26
by krmgator
I have some friends who belong to Rivana and I've been there with them; nice place and certainly very reasonably priced.
There is also a public range in the Jefferson National Forest in Augusta County near Augusta Springs up a dirt road called Hite Hollow Road. Rifel and pistol range with cover and benches. Go there all the time.
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Wed, 05 May 2010 12:07:03
by sigfan
My wife's moving to Charlottesville, from Atlanta and I will be following after we sell our house. I was looking at Rivanna, but was wondering how to meet the sponsorship requirement in that I don't know anyone up (yet).
Re: public ranges around charlottesville?
Posted: Thu, 06 May 2010 01:20:01
by Diomed
sigfan wrote:My wife's moving to Charlottesville, from Atlanta and I will be following after we sell our house. I was looking at Rivanna, but was wondering how to meet the sponsorship requirement in that I don't know anyone up (yet).
Don't sweat it, they don't check the references. It's the least important membership qualification.