RCBS Shell Plate #14Shell Plate #14
RCBS
    RCBS Shell Plate #16Shell Plate #16
RCBS
    RCBS Shell Plate #23Shell Plate #23
RCBS

Top Gun Indoor Shooting Range - Harrisonburg, Va

What range did you visit, what did you shoot, how were you treated, etc. Tell us about your day at the range.

Postby nickf829 » Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:52:01

Indoor range with approx 15-25 lanes. Shoot out to 25yrds. Pistols(FN FiveSeven is NOT allowed), Rimfire rifles and carbine rifles allowed. Only standing lanes, no benches.

Clean range, usually not very busy. RSO sits behind you(glass wall seperating shooters from RSO and Lobby). Pretty friendly staff.

Warning... it's COLD in the winter.

Some pistols available for rent. MINIMAL ammo available for purchase. Targets available for purchase.

$12/hour for non-members, or you can get yearly memberships for I think $180/year, less if you are a student or LEO.

They also offer training classes, home security and that sort of thing at the adjoining business "US Training & Development Center"

Hours= Mon-Thurs 3-8pm, Fri 1-8pm, Sat 10-6pm, CLOSED SUNDAYS

I like this range alot. Great for the winter when its bitter cold outside, however its not "warm" inside.
WANT: SA V10 Ultra Compact, SA SubCompact, AR15, Any Kimber
Contact me if you have any of the above for sale/trade/barter/charity

nickf829
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nick

Re: Top Gun Indoor Shooting Range - Harrisonburg, Va

Postby DavidG » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:02:24

I went to this range this past Saturday and I made two trips in one ( my first and my last). Very unfriendly person working the range. I believe he may of had little man syndrome. This is an older guy and he seemed to not be happy with his job as he was very disgruntled and not a person that should be working with the public. For some reason or other he picked me to take his frustrations out on that day and it has cost them three customers because of it. I have forty-three years of shooting experience under my belt and in all of these years I can honestly say I've never had a negative experience anywhere that I've shot other than at this place and it will not happen again.

DavidG
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: David

My Arsenal:
only I know...

Next Firearm:
H&K 40cal.

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:49:09

nickf829 wrote: RSO sits behind you(glass wall seperating shooters from RSO and Lobby).

A range with an RSO? one that watches the shooting lanes?

Wow, now there's a concept!

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby zephyp » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 05:17:13

Thats the one thing I like about Sharpshooters. The RSO sits behind glass and only enters the range if he/she sees something stupid going on...they do knock on the glass if they see me pull a swig on a water bottle though... :confused:
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby ProShooter » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:30:54

zephyp wrote:they do knock on the glass if they see me pull a swig on a water bottle though... :confused:

As well they should!

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby Unkn0wN » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:47:54

ProShooter wrote:
zephyp wrote:they do knock on the glass if they see me pull a swig on a water bottle though... :confused:

As well they should!

Forgive me here....... why is taking a swig from a water bottle a bad thing? I've never taken a bottle of water into an indoor range, but when I go to the gun club to shoot, I take a big ole jug of water with me....
'You picked a fight with a warlock you little worm' - Charlie Sheen

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
Unkn0wN
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jerry

My Arsenal:
SA XD(M)-40
Walther PK380
Springfield M1A
Ruger SR-556
Yugo SKS M59/66
Ruger 10/22
Remington 887 NitroMag

Next Firearm:
Something in .30-06

Postby ProShooter » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:47:55

Unkn0wN wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

As well they should!

Forgive me here....... why is taking a swig from a water bottle a bad thing? I've never taken a bottle of water into an indoor range, but when I go to the gun club to shoot, I take a big ole jug of water with me....

Because no food or drink should be consumed on a range, and you should wash your hands before eating, drinking or smoking. The lead particulates are absorbed by food and drink and then ingested into the body. Every range I've ever been to has a no fod or drink policy and that is why - lead ingestion.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby zephyp » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 06:01:41

Lead ingestion on an indoor range by drinking water? Bah...you get dozens time more just by breathing the air driving by and looking much less standing there for an hour shooting paper...maybe obama should be called...he can integrate that into his crap and tax junk...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
My Favs:

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby ProShooter » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:24:41

Lead exposure occurs in indoor firing ranges when proper environmental and occupational health controls are not in place to effectively protect the health of shooters and firing range staff from exposure to lead. Common types of exposures are from inhalation (breathing in lead dust) or ingestion (swallowing lead dust, usually from contaminated hands or food).

Workers are commonly exposed to airborne lead when using ammunition with primers containing lead styphnate or lead bullets. Shooters or anyone in the firing range can be exposed to lead fumes from the "gun smoke" or the lead dust that is released into the air when the gun is fired. Workers can also be exposed to airborne lead dust when cleaning the range and guns or emptying bullet trays.

Workers and hobby shooters can also ingest lead when eating, drinking or smoking. Lead dust can settle on hands, lunchroom surfaces or food and drink. Workers and shooters should wash their hands and face immediately after shooting, cleaning firearms, picking up spent casings/pellets or reloading ammunition, and before eating, drinking or smoking.

Workers and hobby shooters can also carry lead home on their clothing and skin and potentially expose their families to toxic levels of lead. Lead in the home is especially dangerous for children and women of childbearing age.

-------- Colorado Department of Public Health

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby DavidG » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:46:52

Also had a gripe that they don't allow loaded carry in the building. I've been told by some other guys that the older guy is a p.i.t.a. and they don't go there anymore because of him.

DavidG
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: David

My Arsenal:
only I know...

Next Firearm:
H&K 40cal.

Postby zephyp » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 04:44:06

Yep, no loaded carry by customers. Cant figure that one out either.

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
My Favs:

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby nickf829 » Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:21:27

I would guess the no loaded gun in the lobby thing is an insurance requirement? Thats about all I can think of

I mentioned the RSO not as a good or bad thing, merely as a fact.

The old man never bothered me, I've only seen him get shitty with someone who wanted to see how fast he could "dirty harry" the target from the hip and completely missed the backstop and put a round into the cement floor, which I felt his reaction was justified. Other than that, no issues.
WANT: SA V10 Ultra Compact, SA SubCompact, AR15, Any Kimber
Contact me if you have any of the above for sale/trade/barter/charity

nickf829
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nick

Postby pete » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 00:17:53

I took a trip out to Harrisonburg a couple Saturdays ago to visit my son who attends JMU. We made a "ballistic" day out of it and went to the gun show, hit some of the local gun stores, and tried out Top Gun. The gun show was okay, basically a smaller version of the Chantilly show we usually go to. But the stores all sucked. Hunters Paradise was going out of business that day and the inventory was just about gone. An outdoor sporting goods store near the university whose name I forget only had a small dusty case of over-priced handguns and a small rack of rifles. Pawn Emporium had nothing but junk and Ashby Arms is a crappy little cave.

Kind of a bummer day until we got to Top Gun. When we first pulled up we thought for sure it was closed since there was only one car was in the parking lot. But they were open for business and we had the range to ourselves. Definitely nice compared to the weekend crowds at the ranges up in Fairfax. The RSO was a little stiff at first but we talked to him for awhile and he turned out to be real helpful and pleasant and let us run probably a half hour over the hour we paid for. Overall the range is modest but clean, reasonable, and decent. We'll be going back.

pete
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Pete

Postby krmgator » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 20:47:25

I've gone a few times and have always had a good experience there. It's a good alternative in the winter when there's bad weather and I can't drive to the range up Hite Hollow Road.

I don't mind a grumpy old man at the counter, quite frankly I don't expect a great customer service experience at a place like this. Just a nice place to shoot where people leave you a lone.

I went with a friend to Rivanna Gun Club in C'ville a couple of weeks ago. Too many range Nazis there for me. I will never join that place

krmgator
On Target
On Target

Postby zillakilla » Sun, 09 Oct 2011 09:49:01

I have to highly recommend the Top Gun shooting range in Harrisonburg. If you go into this place with a good attitude and a healthy respect for both guns, and the experienced staff that work there, you're going to have a great time.

First, it's the ONLY shooting range in our area. That being the case, one might expect that they might not care at all about providing good customer service and a pleasant shooting experience. That has not been my experience at all. Second, I would have to drive 45 minutes to get to the nearest outdoor range, while Top Gun is on my way home from work. Very nice!

My girlfriend and I are new to shooting, and we were very happy with Top Gun from our very first visit, about a month ago. We went in with several questions and Larry, behind the counter that day, was more than happy to answer all of them. He spent more than an hour with us, explaining the rules of the range, and informing us of all of the products and services they offer (like gun rentals, accessories, protective gear, targets, and handgun training classes). He was also kind enough to offer us suggestions, based on many years of experience, about brands and types of pistols/revolvers, calibers, and tips on shooting practices and home defense.

A few days later, on my first visit to actually rent a gun and shoot it, I met Charles. Great guy!

Charles is friendly and patient, has great customer service skills, and is very knowledgeable. Even though we're beginners, Charles doesn't make us feel that way. The first pistol I rented was the Bersa / Firestorm .380 (a very nice little close-range gun, by the way, which we have actually just purchased). Though it's a basic gun, Charles took the time to go over everything about it with me to make sure I was comfortable with its functionality. Even though he has many years of handgun experience and has probably dealt with more than his share of yahoos, newbies, and idiots, he is never condescending (as many "experts" in a field can often be).

After renting my second pistol (a Ruger P95, 9mm) and putting over three hundred rounds through it without a hitch, I had my first FTF. When I went to get Charles to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the gun, he was Johnny-on-the-spot and quickly came over to check the gun and make sure there was nothing wrong with it. He then confirmed that it was just a dud and said with a grin, "Don't get too excited, you'll have a lot more of them in the future." If I keep buying cheap WWB ammo, I'm sure I will!

If your target falls while you're shooting, which happens from time to time, Charles doesn't seem bothered or annoyed, but happily jumps up and runs in to get it for you (after making sure everyone has stopped shooting and is back from the line, of course).

When we've been to the range and it isn't very busy, Charles will actually come over to watch us shoot and offer friendly (and much needed) advice about little things we can do to improve. That's a nice touch.

If I were the owner, I would want to know that Charles does an excellent job of making sure the customer is aware of the products and services they have for sale, while not coming across as a pushy salesman. He never forgets to ask if we need targets, ammo, or accessories, or if we have any other questions or issues he can help us with. He actually wants to ensure that his customers get everything they need to have an enjoyable shooting experience and come back for more in the future. Great job, Charles! You deserve a raise!

Rates are:
$12/hr, per lane, per person
$180 per year annual membership (unlimited visits and members shoot before non-members if it's busy)
$8 gun rental (they have a Firestorm .380, Ruger P95-9mm, and two .22 pistols)

Top Gun is located at:
4883 Early Road
Rt 988 1.5 miles past Harrisonburg Auto Auction, on the left, just before the stop sign.

Now that I've purchased my first pistol, a Glock 17 (much to Charles' chagrin.... he's not a big Glock fan) I'll be getting my annual membership very soon. If you live in the area and haven't tried Top Gun yet, you should definitely stop by and check it out!

zillakilla
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 17
Firestorm .380

Postby zillakilla » Fri, 21 Oct 2011 06:36:39

Correction....

$180 per year annual membership (unlimited visits and members shoot before non-members if it's busy)

I misunderstood. Members do get unlimited visits and range time, but do not get to go before non-members. However, if a member is shooting, a non-member will have to wait until whenever the member finishes to get their lane.

Also, a family membership is $230. A little quick math... if only one member of your family ends up going to shoot, only once a week for a year, that's $4.42 per week. Not too bad.

zillakilla
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 17
Firestorm .380

Postby Paulthecarguy » Mon, 20 Feb 2012 00:10:02

My wife and I went often many years ago just to plink. We returned this past week for the first time in at least ten years. The place looked like not a day had gone by, and the staff was friendly, nice, and helpful. I have been to other ranges, and the range masters here need special commendation. I have never known range masters to be as courteous, and helpful, and just downright accommodating, while still emphasizing safety. I will be visiting often again.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Paulthecarguy
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Hi Point C9 9mm
Savage 93R17 .17hmr w/Buckridge 5-20x50mm
Mosberg 702 Plinkster .22LR
CVA Optima .50 cal muzzleloader

Postby Dooga » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 02:32:29

Why no FiveSevens?

Dooga
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Gen 1 G17, Seecamp LWS32, CZ 452 Special Military Training

Next Firearm:
H&K P7

Postby johndonovan » Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:54:31

Excellent, friendly - Larry and Gary were very helpful to my wife and me when we stopped to shoot our new pistols after the Harrisonburg gun show on February 25, 2011. They each explained the rules of the range and gave us helpful coaching comments when we first started shooting. I would recommend this friendly place to anyone, especially those new to shooting pistols.

johndonovan
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby BigRiverGunServices » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 11:43:03

It's a nice range with very strict rules. The older gentleman that runs the office who is also the RSO was a burden. If he would stay behind the glass and not interrupt everyone on the range it would have been different. Do not bring full body silhouettes as they will only let you shoot half the target due to bullets hitting the floor. There is no live carry and your weapon must be in a case or a holster not attached to you. They have a tremendous amount of targets to choose from, i believe they have a small selection of ammo. They have gun rentals fairly decent priced (only 9mm and .380) they also have weapons and security duty gear. I only go there during the winter, its ventilated fairly well.

Josh
Joshua Bean
Owner/Gunsmith
Big River Gun Services
Your gun services and appraisal specialist
Authorized Tannerite Dealer

BigRiverGunServices
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Josh

My Arsenal:
SKS ATI Stock Brass Deflector W/ Leuopold Optics