Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer
Post Reply
User avatar
wrt81
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:57:37
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by wrt81 »

Does anyone know any places that offer good pistol training/coaching near Virginia Beach? I recently took a concealed carry class at Bobs gun shop but I'm looking for something a little more hands on and personal. I'm looking to improve my accuracy.

I can get decent groupings but a lot of my shots end up low and to the right. From what I've read, that can be caused by tightening the grip when pulling the trigger. I've been trying to avoid that, but I was thinking some in person coaching might be good to pickup on other stuff as well.
User avatar
gfost1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:10:26
Location: Chesapeake

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by gfost1 »

Howdy, Neighbor,

Have you checked into these guys? I've heard they are a bit pricey, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

http://www.thec2center.com/

Regards,

George
User avatar
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 2176
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:46:51
Location: Richmond, Va.
Contact:

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by ProShooter »

We're based in Richmond and would be happy to help you but that may be a bit of a far drive for some shooting lessons.
Image

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO


"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"
User avatar
wrt81
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:57:37
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by wrt81 »

gfost1 wrote:Howdy, Neighbor,

Have you checked into these guys? I've heard they are a bit pricey, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

http://www.thec2center.com/

Regards,

George
Yea I looked at their site and it does seem a little pricey. Most of their courses seem to be pretty in-depth and last a few days. I might call or e-mail them to see what they would charge for just some basic hands on lessons.

I just found out about a shop in Chesapeake today and based on their site they offer some personal lessons. I shot them an e-mail for more info. Here's their site:

http://www.discretionaryfirearms.com/index.html
User avatar
wrt81
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:57:37
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by wrt81 »

ProShooter wrote:We're based in Richmond and would be happy to help you but that may be a bit of a far drive for some shooting lessons.

I've looked at your site a few times and I'm actually strongly considering you guys. Richmond isn't too bad as far as distance, especially if it is good quality training (which from my impressions, yours is :) ).

One thing that I noticed on your site is that the Personalized Shooting Lessons/Phase three lists pre-requisites of your first two phases or a CHP. I don't have my CHP yet, although I did just complete a class for it here locally. I just have to take my application down to the court and get the process rolling.

Would having the certification from the concealed carry class that I took be a "substitute" for the CHP pre-requisite, as far as being able to take your Personalized lessons phase? Just curious.

Thanks!
User avatar
gfost1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:10:26
Location: Chesapeake

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by gfost1 »

wtownsend81 wrote:Yea I looked at their site and it does seem a little pricey. Most of their courses seem to be pretty in-depth and last a few days. I might call or e-mail them to see what they would charge for just some basic hands on lessons.

I just found out about a shop in Chesapeake today and based on their site they offer some personal lessons. I shot them an e-mail for more info. Here's their site:

http://www.discretionaryfirearms.com/index.html
Howdy, Walter,

Funny, I read the same post and just got done e-mailing them too. Didn't think to ask if they had a range, though. Doubt it, given their location.

Regards,

George
User avatar
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 2176
Joined: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:46:51
Location: Richmond, Va.
Contact:

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by ProShooter »

wtownsend81 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:We're based in Richmond and would be happy to help you but that may be a bit of a far drive for some shooting lessons.

I've looked at your site a few times and I'm actually strongly considering you guys. Richmond isn't too bad as far as distance, especially if it is good quality training (which from my impressions, yours is :) ).

One thing that I noticed on your site is that the Personalized Shooting Lessons/Phase three lists pre-requisites of your first two phases or a CHP. I don't have my CHP yet, although I did just complete a class for it here locally. I just have to take my application down to the court and get the process rolling.

Would having the certification from the concealed carry class that I took be a "substitute" for the CHP pre-requisite, as far as being able to take your Personalized lessons phase? Just curious.

Thanks!
Thank you for considering us. That is a nice compliment considering the distance you'd be traveling for the training.

Actually, our Phase 1 Basic Firearms Safety class is the only pre-requisite. If you have taken a safety class locally, that is fine. The goal is simply that you have received some proper instruction as far as the basic rules of safe handling. Its difficult to get someone out on the range and ask them to keep their gun pointed in a safe direction and finger off the trigger and they look at you like they have never heard that before. :) (and yes, we see that sometimes).

If you decide to make the trip out this way, we'd be glad to assist you in any way that we can.
Image

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO


"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 09:31:47
Location: Charlotte County Va.

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by SgtBill »

wtownsend81 wrote:Does anyone know any places that offer good pistol training/coaching near Virginia Beach? I recently took a concealed carry class at Bobs gun shop but I'm looking for something a little more hands on and personal. I'm looking to improve my accuracy.

I can get decent groupings but a lot of my shots end up low and to the right. From what I've read, that can be caused by tightening the grip when pulling the trigger. I've been trying to avoid that, but I was thinking some in person coaching might be good to pickup on other stuff as well.
Walter I have a question or 2. What type of weapon are you shooting and are you left handed?
Bill
User avatar
wrt81
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:57:37
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by wrt81 »

ProShooter wrote:
Thank you for considering us. That is a nice compliment considering the distance you'd be traveling for the training.

Actually, our Phase 1 Basic Firearms Safety class is the only pre-requisite. If you have taken a safety class locally, that is fine. The goal is simply that you have received some proper instruction as far as the basic rules of safe handling. Its difficult to get someone out on the range and ask them to keep their gun pointed in a safe direction and finger off the trigger and they look at you like they have never heard that before. :) (and yes, we see that sometimes).

If you decide to make the trip out this way, we'd be glad to assist you in any way that we can.
Good to know. Thanks!
User avatar
wrt81
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:57:37
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by wrt81 »

SgtBill wrote: Walter I have a question or 2. What type of weapon are you shooting and are you left handed?
Bill

I'm shooting a SIG P229R in 9mm and I'm right handed.

I actually ended up going to the range this evening to get a little practice in. On my first mag I was doing the same as before, low right. But then I started talking to another guy there and he gave me some tips. We shot together for about 40 minutes and I really noticed an improvement.

One thing he suggested was to mix some snap caps and a few live rounds in my mag. The idea is to have it so you won't really know if it's a live round or a snap cap when you pull the trigger. I did this and I could definitely see that my problem was that I was pulling down when I shot. So I focused on that and really just took my time more.

So, after working on it for a bit and also adjusting my stance some, I noticed a huge improvement. I shot about 150 rounds and on about the last 75 rounds I was able to put almost every shot within the the black area on the target. I think it was the B-5 target (areas 9 & 10 are black).

I'm really pleased that I was able to notice such an improvement so quick. I feel pretty confident now that I am at least starting to get a method (grip, stance, aiming, etc) that works for me.

It was really cool to meet someone at the range that was so willing to help. He even let me shoot his two H&K's. Unfortunately, he lives in South Carolina and was just in town for business so I can't steal any more tips from him lol.
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 09:31:47
Location: Charlotte County Va.

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by SgtBill »

Well Walter if you ever get up my way I will be more then happy to give you a hand. Keep your eye on our Meet & Shoot that we are working on now with a Date of most likely the 5th. and 6th. of june.
Bill
User avatar
MountainCat
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:59:05
Location: VA Mountains

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by MountainCat »

Well done Walter.

Keep up the learn'n!
User avatar
wrt81
Marksman
Marksman
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:57:37
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Pistol training/coaching near Virgina Beach?

Post by wrt81 »

SgtBill wrote:Well Walter if you ever get up my way I will be more then happy to give you a hand. Keep your eye on our Meet & Shoot that we are working on now with a Date of most likely the 5th. and 6th. of june.
Bill

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely keep the Meet & Shoot in mind. Have a good one!
Post Reply

Return to “Question and Answer”