Looking to handle a scope

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer
Post Reply
User avatar
gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 7189
Joined: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:28:34

Looking to handle a scope

Post by gunderwood »

I am thinking of getting a new scope and wanted to physically see one. I don't know of anyone that stocks them in NOVA, so... I am looking for anyone with a Schmidt Bender PMII. Particularly, a 5-25x56mm model. Haven't gotten to look through one at long range.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by zephyp »

Try Dicks in Fair Lakes, Gander Mountain and Dick's in Fredericksburg. I recommend you call first to see what they have in stock.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
User avatar
gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 7189
Joined: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:28:34

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by gunderwood »

zephyp wrote:Try Dicks in Fair Lakes, Gander Mountain and Dick's in Fredericksburg. I recommend you call first to see what they have in stock.
I've been in those stores before and I don't think they carry S&B scopes. The 5-25x56mm PMII I'm looking for is $3199. Hence, why I haven't found anyone who carries them locally yet.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by zephyp »

gunderwood wrote:
zephyp wrote:Try Dicks in Fair Lakes, Gander Mountain and Dick's in Fredericksburg. I recommend you call first to see what they have in stock.
I've been in those stores before and I don't think they carry S&B scopes. The 5-25x56mm PMII I'm looking for is $3199. Hence, why I haven't found anyone who carries them locally yet.
Ouch!!! Thats a pretty expensive piece of hardware. I'd be surprised if you could find that anywhere to actually handle it.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
User avatar
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 9678
Joined: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:38:25
Location: King George, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by allingeneral »

You could contact the S&B dealers in the area. These are from the S&B dealer page at http://www.schmidtbender.com/dealersUS.shtml

Virginia
Griffins Shooting Center
1459 Peters Creek Dr
Stuart, VA 24171
276-694-2495

Superior Pawn & Gun
101 Peaceful Rd
Chesapeake, VA 23322
757-581-6270


Maryland
Hendershots Sporting Goods
110 W Main St
Hancock, MD 21750
301-687-6869
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Image
User avatar
gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 7189
Joined: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:28:34

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by gunderwood »

allingeneral wrote:You could contact the S&B dealers in the area. These are from the S&B dealer page at http://www.schmidtbender.com/dealersUS.shtml
Good idea, but most of the dealers don't stock the high end PMII scopes. Also, the drive is several hours each way, at which point it is just cheaper to order from a place with no restocking fee and eat shipping. Thanks though.

zephyp wrote:Ouch!!! Thats a pretty expensive piece of hardware. I'd be surprised if you could find that anywhere to actually handle it.
Yes, the PMII are as good as it gets for long range tactical scopes. Perfect? Nope, just really close. My .338LM is begging for one. The closest place that I know has them is www.eurooptic.com, but that is a day long trip. Besides their return policy is excellent (just pay shipping, so it will cost me more to drive), their knowledge and service is excellent, and if you are willing to mail a certified bank check, usually you can get a discount.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by zephyp »

gunderwood wrote:
zephyp wrote:Ouch!!! Thats a pretty expensive piece of hardware. I'd be surprised if you could find that anywhere to actually handle it.
Yes, the PMII are as good as it gets for long range tactical scopes. Perfect? Nope, just really close. My .338LM is begging for one. The closest place that I know has them is http://www.eurooptic.com, but that is a day long trip. Besides their return policy is excellent (just pay shipping, so it will cost me more to drive), their knowledge and service is excellent, and if you are willing to mail a certified bank check, usually you can get a discount.
I would think if you've got $3k to put down on a scope you probably dont need to worry about the drive or shipping cost. Kinda like worrying about how much gas your 2010 mercedes uses...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
User avatar
gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 7189
Joined: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 00:28:34

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by gunderwood »

zephyp wrote:
gunderwood wrote:
zephyp wrote:Ouch!!! Thats a pretty expensive piece of hardware. I'd be surprised if you could find that anywhere to actually handle it.
Yes, the PMII are as good as it gets for long range tactical scopes. Perfect? Nope, just really close. My .338LM is begging for one. The closest place that I know has them is http://www.eurooptic.com, but that is a day long trip. Besides their return policy is excellent (just pay shipping, so it will cost me more to drive), their knowledge and service is excellent, and if you are willing to mail a certified bank check, usually you can get a discount.
I would think if you've got $3k to put down on a scope you probably dont need to worry about the drive or shipping cost. Kinda like worrying about how much gas your 2010 mercedes uses...
:clap: Yes, the cost of driving vs. shipping is irrelevant when compared to my time or the cost of the scope. However, the problem with these particular scopes is that they are hard to find. All of the dealers I have contacted who actually stock them say they should have a shipment any day, but have been waiting for several weeks now. I could wait weeks or months to get one only to find out that it isn't what I wanted.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by zephyp »

Indeed. If I were a sporting goods store I wouldnt stock $3K scopes unless all my customers squished money out of their pockets when they walked.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
CCFan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri, 08 May 2009 21:51:35

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by CCFan »

Ever bought from Optics Planet? Not sure how they compare but I've purchased a few things from them that i couldn't get from other places... check here... Good luck with your search, I've rarely seen them in a store...
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Resistance to Tyranny is Obedience to God.
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Looking to handle a scope

Post by zephyp »

I thought about Optics Planet for this one and have seen one or two outlet stores. Not sure if they would carry the scope he's looking for though.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Question and Answer”