Howdy,
Never built a gun though I own several and am familiar with the operation of several design types. I'm also handy with tools and though today my main tool is a keyboard, I still retain calluses on my hands. What I'd like to do is build my own AR in 7.62x54r. I like the round, can buy cheap for plinking, and make my own match loads. I'd rather piston rather than gas operation. I know the barrel/chamber will have to be special order/made. Just wondering what off the shelf parts I can use/modify. For instance can I get an AR-10 lower, upper, and bolt? If so what modifications can I do and what would I need a gun smith for?
What I'd like out of the rifle.
Accuracy, 2 to 3 MOA. Looking to be the guy that takes out people while the platoon maneuvers and pins. (LOL in theory only!)
Reliability, not drop it in the mud however that would be nice. I break down and clean everything after each use. Doesn't mean I want it to fail with a little grime in it. Will want chamber chromed and what not.
Cheap, yeah ok I know. This is a special build and I want it to work really well that's money. I'm not looking to go to go to Red Jacket and have everything hand built to NASA tolerances. Looking for off the shelf where I can, what I can modify myself, and last what I've got to have a gun smith make/modify.
54r AR build questions
Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer
Return to “Question and Answer”
Jump to
- General Discussions
- ↳ General Discussion
- ↳ Articles and Op-Ed
- ↳ Rules and Regulations
- ↳ Announcements
- ↳ Forum Suggestions and Help
- ↳ New Members Report Here
- ↳ Meet and Greet
- Hardware Specific Discussions
- ↳ Firearms
- ↳ Handguns/Pistols
- ↳ Rifles
- ↳ Shotguns
- ↳ Rimfires
- ↳ Large Bore and "Assault" Rifles
- ↳ Curios and Relics
- ↳ Muzzleloaders and Black Powder
- ↳ Range Reports
- ↳ Show Off Your Hardware
- ↳ Ammunition and Reloading
- ↳ Scopes and Optics
- ↳ Carrying Your Firearm
- ↳ Question and Answer
- ↳ Gun Shop/Range/Gunsmith Reviews
- ↳ National Discussions
- ↳ Hunting in Virginia
- ↳ Geeks with Guns
- ↳ Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)
- ↳ NFA & SOT
- Laws, Legal Issues and Politics
- ↳ Virginia Laws and Regulations
- ↳ Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)
- ↳ Politics (All other non-firearm related)
- ↳ Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) VA Alerts
- ↳ National Rifle Association - Institute of Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) Alerts
- ↳ Gun Owners of America (GOA) Newsletters and Alerts
- Marketplace
- ↳ Firearms for Sale or Trade
- ↳ Want to Buy
- ↳ Firearms Accessories and Ammunition for Sale
- ↳ Miscellaneous For Sale
- ↳ Feedback
- ↳ Merchant Advertising
- ↳ Sold or Completed Ads
- Vendor Forums
- ↳ ALL-IN Tactical
- ↳ Sterling Arsenal Works & Tactical Supply, LLC
- Virginia Regional Forums
- ↳ Tidewater Area
- ↳ Northern Virginia
- ↳ Richmond
- ↳ Proactive Shooters - Firearms Safety Training
- ↳ Fredericksburg
- ↳ Roanoke
- ↳ Charlottesville
- ↳ Southern Virginia
