Mountains of northwestern VA
Mountains of northwestern VA
Howdee, any chance you guys can point me towards some areas in northwestern VA's mountains where a guy can hike in and be away from roads/people. What are the atv laws in the G.W. National Forrest, can you get away from atvs? Thanks for any help.
- dorminWS
- VGOF Platinum Supporter

- Posts: 7163
- Joined: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:00:41
- Location: extreme SW VA
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
There ain't no such THING as Northwestern Virginia; at least not since 1863. That's when they went into business for themselves as "West Virginia". There's only a Southwest Virginia.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
- dorminWS
- VGOF Platinum Supporter

- Posts: 7163
- Joined: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:00:41
- Location: extreme SW VA
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
I'm 364 miles from Stafford, so I'm hardly local. But I know there's some mighty pretty country in the Shenandoah National Forest. I used to turn off I-81N at New Market and cross the mountain (on rt 211?), coming out at Manassas on the way to duck & goose hunt on the Eastern Shore. Also the GW Forest is accessible as close as the Staunton/Waynesboro area. Jefferson National Forest if you come as far west as our neck of the woods. Don't know for sure, but the way to bet is that any National Forest is going to be inhospitable to anything but foot traffic when off the hardtop. Out here, there's nothing they like better than closing roads to vehicle traffic. Heck; they'd just as soon you didn't even WALK in THEIR forest. Hunting is permitted in seaon, AFAIK.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
Awesome, thanks!! I appreciate it.
- dorminWS
- VGOF Platinum Supporter

- Posts: 7163
- Joined: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:00:41
- Location: extreme SW VA
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
I understand West Virginia has some really nice parks and recreation areas. Maybe you should also check them out.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.
- WRW
- VGOF Platinum Supporter

- Posts: 2554
- Joined: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:21:31
- Location: 11 miles from Thornburg
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
Go to the Appalachian Trail and turn left to go to Georgia or right to go to Maine. The Maryland section has the first Washington Monument.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
Any idea on what the non-resident fees are for a deer tag?dorminWS wrote:I understand West Virginia has some really nice parks and recreation areas. Maybe you should also check them out.
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
Okie Dokie!WRW wrote:Go to the Appalachian Trail and turn left to go to Georgia or right to go to Maine. The Maryland section has the first Washington Monument.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
Not a lot of back country left up here, but you van escape the highway noise up on the ridges from Edinburg up to Strasburg in the George Washington national forest...
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
Lots of trails along Skyline Drive, a couple of nice trails in New Market, Orkney Springs, Runions Creek, Briery Branch. Stop at a Ranger Station and pick-up some maps.
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
T Jefferson
4-H Certified Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol, Archery & Muzzleloading Instructor
NRA/ATA Shotgun Coach
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
T Jefferson
4-H Certified Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol, Archery & Muzzleloading Instructor
NRA/ATA Shotgun Coach
Re: Mountains of northwestern VA
Thanks guys, I appreciate it a bunch!

