Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required
User avatar
Jakeiscrazy
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:06:02
Location: Chesterfield, VA

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by Jakeiscrazy »

davasmith wrote:If you're in the know, ballistic knifes are primarily backup weapons. They are a great silent advantage when even a suppressor would alert, and are less cumbersome. They were first conceived in a wet lit, lonely closet in a cold climate atmosphere. They are an excellent second line of defense being, they can fully puncture 3/4 inch plywood at a distance of 25 feet. Most cqb's take place less than 15 feet. It frees up a hand for a pistol, or a grasp as well as being able to be shot at a good distance even for a pistol.

As for throwing the weapon away, you can use the handle as a cubiton for several self defense techniques.
( I hear..........shhhhhh....) :whistle: :confused:
Image You get one shot. Just ONE. Your telling me you would take a ballistic knife over even the smallest .380? Or you could swap out that little gadget for another magazine for the weapon of your choice. So it works well at a CQB range of 15 feet? So does just plain ole stabbing the guy and your can do that over and over. Look up the 21 foot rule. As far as it being "silent" there is nothing silent about hearing the guy screaming when hit gets nailed by a blade.
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”
-Winston Churchill
User avatar
Powhatan
Pot Shot
Pot Shot
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:07:19

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by Powhatan »

why can't I own a switchblade... a man can dream. a man can dream.
User avatar
Jakeiscrazy
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:06:02
Location: Chesterfield, VA

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by Jakeiscrazy »

BTW for those interested there is a rather new lobby group on the block.
http://www.kniferights.org/
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”
-Winston Churchill
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by zephyp »

Heck, I'd be happy if I didnt have to worry whether my combat folder were 3" or 3 3/4"...I can do just a much damage with either one...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 09:31:47
Location: Charlotte County Va.

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by SgtBill »

I am sorry but I do not see where anyone is a lesser citizen then I am just because I chose to be a Law Enforcement Officer. As far as the CCW permit I did not ask for it, it is part of Va. law that I can get one for free. The right to carry in all states with or witout a permit was granted by President Bush and I am not going to argue with him doing so. I don't see where I had more freedom when I was working. If anything I was held to a higher code both on duty and off duty and fell under tight scrutiney at all times in both the public's eye and the Department's eye.
So I suppose to reply to your question the ans. is no we can't agree.
Bill
User avatar
Tweaker
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 995
Joined: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 16:00:37
Location: Left Charlibsville, VA for SC, near CLT, NC

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by Tweaker »

I will be crying on my bunk.
Officially outed waissists: Taggure, Allingeneral, Tweaker, VBShooter, Snaz, Jim, OakRidgeStars, Wylde, clayinva, Komrade Kreutz, scrubber3, Mindflaya'. All the kewl kids are waississ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsW75KJ ... re=related
User avatar
Jakeiscrazy
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:06:02
Location: Chesterfield, VA

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by Jakeiscrazy »

zephyp wrote:Heck, I'd be happy if I didnt have to worry whether my combat folder were 3" or 3 3/4"...I can do just a much damage with either one...
There are no such laws in VA. Here are all the knife laws I am aware of.
§ 18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-271; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1985, c. 394; 1988, c. 359.)


§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.
So you could carry this:Image
But not this:Image
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”
-Winston Churchill
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by zephyp »

@Jake - yes but there is a federal rule about carrying knives longer than 3" onto federal facilities...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
User avatar
Jakeiscrazy
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter
Posts: 3519
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:06:02
Location: Chesterfield, VA

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by Jakeiscrazy »

zephyp wrote:@Jake - yes but there is a federal rule about carrying knives longer than 3" onto federal facilities...
Oooooo well that sucks. I really like big blades.
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.”
-Winston Churchill
User avatar
wally626
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:26:07

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by wally626 »

Possession in federal facilites is limited to 2.5 inches not 3.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscod ... -000-.html
User avatar
zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter
Posts: 10207
Joined: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:40:55
Location: Springfield, VA

Re: Why can't I own a ballistic knife?

Post by zephyp »

@Wally...thanks alot...I guess I remember seeing anything over 3" illegal but do recall seeing that pocket jnives 2.5" or less are ok...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

Image
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”