My new shooting glasses

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required
Post Reply
User avatar
gregj
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat, 02 May 2009 22:02:19

My new shooting glasses

Post by gregj »

I'm pretty new to IDPA, only gone to a few matches so far, but I knew I had to do something about my glasses. I'm near sighted and wear progressive bifocals. When target practice, I can tilt my head and get a pretty good sight picture - both eyes open, front sight in or near focus.

Problem is, when I go to a match, the shooting positions are never conducive to tiliting my head back to get the front sight in focus. I talked to a fellow on my squad at a recent match, and he has a single vision lens in the right with the focus point where the front sight normally is, and the left lense normal Rx. Says it's a little odd at first to get used to, but it helps him.

Well, I picked up my new glasses this week, actually two pairs, one for shooting the other my regular Rx (bifocals). I haven't shot with them yet, but dry firing in the garage at a target above my workbench, it's truly amazing the difference. My regular Rx is progressive bifocals. My shooting glasses are a single Rx in the left eye that focuses on distance, and the right eye is also single Rx that focuses about 1 1/4" beyond the tip of my index finger when both hands are together simulating my normal iso grip.

They're a little goofy feeling when looking at things, as the left eye is in focus but the right eye is slightly blurred. But when sighting on a target, that seems to go away, as each eye now has something to focus on - left eye the target and right eye the front sight. Very awesome now having both things in focus as the same time. Cant remember the last time this has happened.

I've been doing pretty good at the matches lately, but I know I have not been able to see the front sight, like I know I should, and seem to be focusing more on the target and the COF. I guess I've been instinctively point-shooting, and know I need to be able to see the front sight in focus along with the target.

I'm supposed to be going to the range this weekend so I'll get a good opportunity to try them out, but from my initial tests in the garage, I gotta give this a big two thumbs up!! The real test will be the next matches in Nov.

When I told my eye doc what I was wanting, she knew what I was asking for, and was very helpful and interested in hearing the results, as she didnt get many requests for glasses like this. She was calling them my "shooters". :clap:
User avatar
gfost1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:10:26
Location: Chesapeake

Re: My new shooting glasses

Post by gfost1 »

Howdy, Greg,

Be sure to let us know how it goes at the range. I'm really interested; I have the same problem. I'm also near sighted. Do far sighted folks have similar problems?

Regards,

George
User avatar
MDWine
Sighting In
Sighting In
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 14:25:47
Location: Manassas Park, Va

Re: My new shooting glasses

Post by MDWine »

All we can say at this point is... HURRY UP AND GO SHOOT!!

I really want to hear how this works out for you.
I just got new progressives, and the sight picture is just as bad a before.

I read somewhere that an on-line doc will make "reverse-bifocals" for you, and he sells those "static stick on" plastic kind of lenses you stick to your existing glasses...

Either way around, I need the help!! VERY interested in hearing your experience!!

Thanks for posting it.
NRA Life Member & Certified Instructor
N-SSA Skirmisher, VCDL
Va. Hunter Education Master Instructor
User avatar
gregj
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat, 02 May 2009 22:02:19

Re: My new shooting glasses

Post by gregj »

I had the opportunity to use them this past weekend at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club fall festival (some friends are members and invited my son and I). There were several competitions, pistol plates, pistol bullseye, rifle plate, running deer, trap, and skeet. The new glasses worked out extremely well!!! The best I did was the pistol plates - had to knock down down 5 plates in under 12 sec, my time was six plates in 5.9 sec. And my front sight was in focus the entire time.

I know there are several online places to get shooting glasses, but from my experience, I would go see your opthomologist and see what they can do for you. My single vision left (distance focus) and single vision right (front sight focus) are absolutely the cats-azz! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
User avatar
gfost1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 20:10:26
Location: Chesapeake

Re: My new shooting glasses

Post by gfost1 »

gregj wrote:I had the opportunity to use them this past weekend at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club fall festival (some friends are members and invited my son and I). There were several competitions, pistol plates, pistol bullseye, rifle plate, running deer, trap, and skeet. The new glasses worked out extremely well!!! The best I did was the pistol plates - had to knock down down 5 plates in under 12 sec, my time was six plates in 5.9 sec. And my front sight was in focus the entire time.

I know there are several online places to get shooting glasses, but from my experience, I would go see your opthomologist and see what they can do for you. My single vision left (distance focus) and single vision right (front sight focus) are absolutely the cats-azz! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good News, Greg

Do you shoot with both eyes open or just the right?

Regards,

George
User avatar
wally626
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:26:07

Re: My new shooting glasses

Post by wally626 »

Are the glasses safety glasses or just normal frames? I have been thinking of getting a pair of glasses with the focus set at finger tip but I had not thought of having the other lens be a normal progressive lens.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”