Speaking of superannuated .22 rifles..............

Post pictures or videos as well as specifications or whatever else you want to say about the guns that you know and love.

Speaking of superannuated .22 rifles..............

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:33:47

I just came by a Ranger .22 LR pump rifle. Haven't looked it over real closely yet, but I was told there is no model or serial number on it, and that Savage built it in 1903 (although without model or serial numbers, I don't know how you could tell). I did see on the internet where several companies including Savage built them for Sears back in that era. Winchester also built them, and danged if that rifle don't look pretty Winchester-ish to me. Seems sound. Decent condition, but some damage to the forestock. Heavier than any .22 rifle I've ever picked up.

And if I seem a little casual about the provenance and pedigree on this rifle, I can afford to be. My old fishing buddy (the WWII & Korean vet) just brought it to me and told me he wanted me to have it. Wouldn't take a cent. Laid it down on a chair in my office and walked out. Threatened to kick my azz if I tried to put it back in his truck. Any of y'all number such a friend among your acquaintances? Of course, I will treasure it as if it were a Patterson Colt revolver whatever its objective monetary value.
Attachments
22pmp1S.jpg
Ranger .22LR pump #3
22pmp1S.jpg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
22pmp2S.jpg
Ranger .22LR pump #2
22pmp2S.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
22pmp3S.jpg
Ranger .22LR pump #1
22pmp3S.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Re: Speaking of superannuated .22 rifles..............

Postby M1A4ME » Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:45:09

It really does look more like a Savage than a Winchester. I have 3 old Savage pumps. A model 29 that belonged to my dad (octagonal barrel), a model 29A (round barrel) and a model 1914 (octagonal barrel).

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:16:44

M1A4ME wrote:It really does look more like a Savage than a Winchester. I have 3 old Savage pumps. A model 29 that belonged to my dad (octagonal barrel), a model 29A (round barrel) and a model 1914 (octagonal barrel).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't claim to know anything about these guns. Only info I have is what I've been told or read in a 5-minute internet search, so any information would be appreciated. This one has a round barrel. Any guess on which model it may be?
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby M1A4ME » Thu, 24 Apr 2014 06:05:15

The model 29 Savage (pre WW2) has an octagonal barrel. The M29A (post WW2) has a round barrel.

The old model 1914 Savage has an octagonal barrel.

The things on that rifle that look "Savage" to me, vs. Winchester are the slide release on the right side of the trigger guard. The shape of it is the same as my Savage rifles. The way the frame fits into the stock, with that little rounded part looks like my Savage rifles. The pin that holds the barrel in looks like Savage rifles. The forend looks more like the M1914 than the M29.

Do a google image search for Savage pump .22's and compare the images to your rifle vs. a google picture search for Winchester pump .22's.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to Show Off Your Hardware