Locker / Safe Clean-up and Mods

Post pictures or videos as well as specifications or whatever else you want to say about the guns that you know and love.

Locker / Safe Clean-up and Mods

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 03:22:13

Have no idea if you guys are OCD about your gun locker/safe, but I got sick of mine being a mess.

Today, I bought an magnet mount LED light for the locker so I can see when I'm in it. I also got a magnetic Kobalt tool holder and hung my MP5 from it on the back wall.

I think after the clean-up, it came out pretty good and now I have room for another rifle. LOL

What do you think?

You guys have any custom setups? I am thinking about having a custom safe made... but like a 24 long gun instead of 10 or 12.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Re: Locker / Safe Clean-up and Mods

Postby Snakester » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 07:54:00

SWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeT !!! Great job....Maybe you should look into a 40' Shipping Container ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby dusterdude » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 08:24:27

Niiiice

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 09:12:20

MarcSpaz wrote:You guys have any custom setups? I am thinking about having a custom safe made... but like a 24 long gun instead of 10 or 12.

yep, good a good deal on some safes with no interiors. made some templates, and spent a few hours with a router and carved out some rifle racks. Going from memory, I think its about 15 across, 4 rows deep.

opsec reasons, no photos of contents can be provided.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 15:55:26

JD... that's a give for you bud. I appreciate that.

What size safe would be good to start with, if I make my own 24 long gun?

I am assuming I can cut racks out of white pine then cover them with cloth. Or is wood a bad idea?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 16:28:04

MarcSpaz wrote:What size safe would be good to start with, if I make my own 24 long gun?

3x bigger than you think you need.

I started with a 50 cu-ft that held 39 long guns. What they don't tell you is scopes bigger than about 4x, and pistol grips take up 2 spots. Big scope and pistol grip takes up 3 spots. Horizontal bolt, like a mosin, another 2 spots. Filled that thing up fast.

found a deal on 3 used safes, 56x72x31... figured that would be enough space until I get moved to a place where I can build a proper vault...notsomuch. They are filling way faster than I expected. I think I'll still be ok for a while, but not as long as I guessed.

I am assuming I can cut racks out of white pine then cover them with cloth. Or is wood a bad idea?

I used 3/4 plywood. I'd think I'd stay away from pine.. I don't like sap.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 16:45:18

Wow... okay. Well, I was thinking a 24 gun since I have 9 right now and don't plan on going much past 12... but now I am starting to reconsider going bigger.

Thanks for the info...

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Snakester » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 17:09:57

I had a 24 Gun Winchester Safe that I really liked . It had alot of storage area and also would hold 12 pistols on the door. It just wasn't big enough. A couple of years ago I found a 48 Gun Stack On Elite Safe at Dick's on a Thanksgiving Sale for less than $600.00 . I now have lots of room for all my guns , ammo and even quite a few other items. It's always better to have a little extra space !

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 18:05:24

I'm starting to see the error of my ways. What started all this was buying my son the M&P15. I was staring at the locker thinking, "where the heck is this gonna go?" That's really what prompted the cleanup.

What would really be nice is if I could have enough room to grab any one rifle I would like to use without moving 3/4's of my inventory out of the way first. Right now, they are in order based on "most likely to use next", but you guys all know how that changes based on infinite variables and moods.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby 0ne5hot » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 18:57:57

MarcSpaz wrote:I'm starting to see the error of my ways. What started all this was buying my son the M&P15. I was staring at the locker thinking, "where the heck is this gonna go?" That's really what prompted the cleanup.

What would really be nice is if I could have enough room to grab any one rifle I would like to use without moving 3/4's of my inventory out of the way first. Right now, they are in order based on "most likely to use next", but you guys all know how that changes based on infinite variables and moods.

This is kind of how my next safe is going to be setup...only bigger...much bigger :packin:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy’s will to be imposed on him."
~ Sun Tzu

0ne5hot
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
The ~6" of grey matter between my ears...

Next Firearm:
maybe a handgun???

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 20:25:29

I love it!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to Show Off Your Hardware