Been watching out for one of these for a while.

Post pictures or videos as well as specifications or whatever else you want to say about the guns that you know and love.

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 16:43:05

Remington 1903, 30-06. I'd say it's in good to very good condition. They guy also had a Krag-Jorgenson 30-40 carbine that was just about pristine, but he wanted a war debt for it, so I let him keep it. Amazing how slick and butter-smooth that action is. Better than any modern bolt action I've handled, I do believe.
Attachments
1903S2.jpg
Remington 1903 #2
1903S2.jpg (49.15 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
1903S1.jpg
Remington 1903 #1
1903S1.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Re: Been watching out for one of these for a while.

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 17:23:14

Very nice! That looks super clean.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby M1A4ME » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 05:46:03

They can be very accurate and fun to shoot.

I'd recommend 150 grain bullets if you buy commercial ammo. They should kick less than 180's.

Also, if you know how to use a sling when shooting, that will help absorb some of the recoil as well.

I have not shot my 03 since about 1979 or 1980. Shot five shots, off hand, 25 yds. into a quarter sized group with my dad and brother watching. Its just too uncomfortable to shoot for me. Long arms and a short little butt stock (mines a 1918 gun) just beats the crap out my nose/cheek because I'm right up on the back of the receiver instead of on the stock a couple inches behind the receiver.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Siffer703 » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 23:41:56

:thumbsup:

Siffer703
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
BCM 14.5, AK, Yugo AK

Postby Oakes » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 23:04:07

A3 right?? Been a while. Aren't the early 03's not safe to shoot??

Oakes
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:04:47

Oakes wrote:A3 right?? Been a while. Aren't the early 03's not safe to shoot??

>>>>

Not an A3. A3s, I reckon, had the sights behind the receiver. This is just a plain old 03, but a late model one. Early '40s, I think. (seems like I saw that when I looked it up - maybe '42.)
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:

Postby FiremanBob » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:28:22

The A3 model was started in the 1930s. The distinguishing feature of this variant is an aperture sight on the back of the receiver, in place of the original ladder-type sight on the barrel.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:49:54

FiremanBob wrote:The A3 model was started in the 1930s. The distinguishing feature of this variant is an aperture sight on the back of the receiver, in place of the original ladder-type sight on the barrel.

>>>>>>>

'Zaxktly. I should have said sights behind the bolt. No sleep all weekend. I'm a Zombie.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby M1A4ME » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:09:15

When Springfield Armory switched over to M1 Garand production they had to find someone else to make 03's for troops in training. They were struggling to get enough M1's made (they were also working hard to get Winchester set up to make M1 Garands).

The contracted Remington to make 03 Springfields. It wasn't until after the war started and production really was pushed hard that they came up with the idea of using the stamped parts to replace some of the more costly/time consuming milled parts on the 03. The guns with the stamped parts and the peep sight on the rear of the receiver was the 03A3. A "sniper" version of the 03A3 was developed and it was called the 03A4. All the stamped parts of the A3, but no sights, a Redfield Jr. scope base and the serial number/rifle designation moved to the sides of the front receiver so the scope base wouldn't cover them.

Smith Corona also made 03A3's during WW2, but not as many as Remington made.

There were a lot of 03's and 03A3's in combat. The Marines carried them the first couple years of the war and some US Army units carried them as well. I had my 03A3 over at the country store a few miles from home one day and this old timer's eyes lit up and he asked if he could "see" my rifle. I handed it to him and he went to telling his wife, me and my buddy about carrying one of "these rifles" in Italy during the war. Winter, mountains, lots of rain/freezing rain/snow and their M1 Garands were having issues. He said they had to march off the mountain, pass through a big tent, lay their M1's in the pile of other M1's and march to another tent where they were issued 03's. He said they got through the rest of the winter with no issues out of the 03's.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Oakes » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:16:52

My grandfather was a WW1 Marine and at Belleau Woods and Chateau Thierry. This is where the USA established their reputation as the Devil Dogs!!
He was one of three to make it back. They we actually issued Springfields and he brought a camera with him to WW1. Would love to find a 1917 Springfield 03. I was told the early rifles were not to be shot but not 100% sure on the reasoning. Thought it was a heat treating process.
I have lots of newspaper clippings where they interviewed him. Hope to take his uniform, helmet, pictures and news clippings to the Marine museum in VA soon.

Oakes
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby M1A4ME » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 06:06:34

I have some pictures (well, mom has them) of grand dad in uniform with an 03 and bayonet in his WW1 uniform. He was in the 3rd Inf. Div.

The Army trained with 03's here in the states but were issued M1917's when they got to Europe to fight.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby dusterdude » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:43:10

Oakes,much respect for your grandfather.semper fi

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Return to Show Off Your Hardware