How does Lead Free Ammunition apply to VA Code 18.2-308.3

The Code of Virginia is not preemptible by local statute

How does Lead Free Ammunition apply to VA Code 18.2-308.3

Postby zombiekiller57 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:02:19

I happened to think about this today when I was reviewing a post for some SS190 rounds for a FN 5.7. For those not familiar these rounds are a FMJ steel core similar to a XM855 .223 round. In searching the VA code to see if AP ammo was legal in VA the only reference I found was in the code listed above. The code goes on to say
cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead
. How does this relate to lead free bullets? This to me would mean that a SS195LF would be illegal in VA if used in the commission of a crime. Let's take a self defense situation or for that matter a business owner that has you arrested with criminal trespass for carrying a weapon in his store. If the DA proceeds with prosecution then I am assuming he could stack the charges with a violation of 18.2-308.3 as well. Not that that would be your biggest problem or concern but it seems ridiculous in this day when they are pushing the use of lead free bullets in indoor ranges due to the potential health risks.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Tim

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Shotblast w/scope
Supersoaker Sniper
Supersoaker Claymore 10 pack

Next Firearm:
Supersoaker Anti-Aircraft Missles

Re: How does Lead Free Ammunition apply to VA Code 18.2-308.3

Postby skeeterss0 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:34:04

I believe this link is accurate and explains it best:

http://gunwalker.com/5.7x28mm/armorpiercing.html

It explains why the SS190 is not considered armor piercing.

this only pertains to federal law: VA law says anything other than lead core is illeagle so it may be illeagle in VA.

I keep rereading the VA law to get clarification and realized it is talking about teflon coating or simmillar coatings on the bullet.
Last edited by skeeterss0 on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:46:25, edited 2 times in total.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:34:12

I'm not understanding your question. Since both steel and lead are considered to be "metals" it wouldn't make any difference at all.

Unless I'm confused, which is always a possibility.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby Chasbo00 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:02:18

Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:19:25

Its still on the books... and yes ammo with out lead in the projectile is illegal in VA when committing a crime.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby skeeterss0 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:27:39

As I see it they are only unlawful if it is plastic/teflon coated. If they are not plastic/teflon coated this law does not apply.

The law reads as follows:

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.3

18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:

Postby zombiekiller57 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:31:01

Chasbo00 wrote:A blast from the past...

post80855.html?hilit=restricted%20ammunition#p80855

Thanks for the link. I did a search for Ammunition but only under the Law forum I didn't think about the Reloading forum
Last edited by zombiekiller57 on Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:40:57, edited 1 time in total.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Sniper

Next Firearm:

Postby zombiekiller57 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:34:24

skeeterss0 wrote:As I see it they are only unlawful if it is plastic/teflon coated. If they are not plastic/teflon coated this law does not apply.

The law reads as follows:

18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

section iii contains an (or ) clause that I have bolded. That is where I see a separation between plastic substance and lead free

zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Sniper

Next Firearm:

Postby Chasbo00 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:35:22

skeeterss0 wrote:As I see it they are only unlawful if it is plastic/teflon coated. If they are not plastic/teflon coated this law does not apply.

Note what is highlighted in red below.

skeeterss0 wrote:The law reads as follows:

Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby zombiekiller57 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:37:44

skeeterss0 wrote:I believe this link is accurate and explains it best:

http://gunwalker.com/5.7x28mm/armorpiercing.html

It explains why the SS190 is not considered armor piercing.

this only pertains to federal law: VA law says anything other than lead core is illeagle so it may be illeagle in VA.

I keep rereading the VA law to get clarification and realized it is talking about teflon coating or simmillar coatings on the bullet.

I agree it's not AP but I was taking the info from Wiki-pedia which still describes the SS190 as AP and we know everything in Wiki-pedia is the Gods honest truth. :)

zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Sniper

Next Firearm:

Postby zombiekiller57 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:39:33

jdonovan wrote:Its still on the books... and yes ammo with out lead in the projectile is illegal in VA when committing a crime.

It sounds like this law needs to be revised while the Republicans have control.

zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Sniper

Next Firearm:

Postby skeeterss0 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:03:46

I see where i was not reading it correctly....why can't they write laws in plain english? sorry for anything misleading i wrote.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:12:09

because lawyers write the code for lawyers to use.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Palladin » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:02:20

So is it still a crime to commit a crime? :roll:
I want to commit my crimes leagally. :hysterical:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby zombiekiller57 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 20:22:59

Palladin wrote:I want to commit my crimes leagally. :hysterical:

You'll have to become a politician in order to do that.

zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Sniper

Next Firearm:

Postby RileyC » Thu, 09 Apr 2020 16:49:11

I've heard the "French Arcanes" were an experimental round and haven't been made for 50 years. Does anyone know of any documentation about the "French Arcanes"? It's for my curiosity, and give me proof to how crazy these law writers are.

I've seen some mention in an old ammo article, but no real information about the round.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
RileyC
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
X95, Several AR's gas piston preferred, hunting rifles, shotguns, pistols

Postby Ironbear » Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:32:33

RileyC wrote:I've heard the "French Arcanes" were an experimental round and haven't been made for 50 years. Does anyone know of any documentation about the "French Arcanes"? It's for my curiosity, and give me proof to how crazy these law writers are.

I've seen some mention in an old ammo article, but no real information about the round.

You seem to have resurrected an 8 year old thread! :clap:

I recall reading some about the Arcane ammo, back in my youth, in the 80's. Probably in Solider of Fortune magazine or something similar. You might have better look searching for THV ammo. As I recall, Arcane was a brand name producing a THV style ammunition. The THV bullets were solid metal, with either a point or post on the front, with a bit of a reverse curve on the front of the bullet. The idea was the shock would act a bit like a snowplow... and they were very light and fast. Supposedly they were pretty effective against light body armor of the day.

It was all part of the effort, when high-capacity 9mm pistols were burgeoning, to improve the performance of the bullets. Since in many of the European countries, the police weren't allowed to use hollow-points; there was a number of designs that used light, high-velocity, solid bullets. THV and BAT ammo were two that I recall. As I recall, the wound channel for the high velocity rounds was spectacular, but penetration was limited. They also got caught (along with teflon coated bullets) in the frenzy of banning ammo that people thought would penetrate body armor.

As I remember, the light-fast 9mm craze died out, to be replaced by the 147gr 9mm craze. The bullets were slow, and the hollow-points of the day didn't really open up; and they got a bad reputation. The 147gr idea kind of went away until the designs got better and we started seeing a lot more suppressors.... since they were subsonic.

As a general observation, every few years, for as long as I remember, someone markets light-fast ammo as the greatest thing since sliced bread... and it remains a niche market since it seems the tried and true weight/velocity offers a better balance for most purposes.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to Virginia Laws and Regulations