Chickahominy WMA Range

Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads, Williamsburg and the Eastern Shore

Chickahominy WMA Range

Postby skeeterss0 » Sun, 18 Oct 2015 08:59:17

Just wanted to report on my visit to the range at Chickahominy WMA. It was my first visit there. Took my Rem. 870, 12 gauge withrifled barrel & rifle sights, using 2 3/4 sabot slugs, Hornady SSt, Remington solid copper sabot, and Hornady Superformanc slugs. The range itself was easy to find, but way out in the booneys. A well maintained gravel road leads to it. It opened at 9, I got there around 10 am. There were a few people firing when i got there, i needed to use hearing protection as soon as i got out of the car. The shooting bays, I'll call them, are wooden and well maintained. They have an observation window at each position and a chest high sturdy bench with an opening to shoot out of at each position. There were people there shooting rifles and shotguns there, all were very curteous. There was no one supervising the range, but by mutual consent of all shooters when the range was hot or cold. They had some target stands at 25 and 50 yd lines depending on which position you were at. The stands consisted of what looked like thin rebar bent in an upsidedown U shape about 5 ft high with bunch of chickenwire wrapped around it. The 100 yrd line was some telephone poles about 6' tall with chickenwire around them. I had cardboard strips with targets taped on which would have worked great had i brought strong enough clips. All i had brought were closepins. Anyways i dug in my trunk and found a bungie cord and some electrical wire and finally got my targets hung.

For my first shots I placed my targets at the 25 and 50 yrd line. I pretty much kept everything within 4" of center and was very pleased with myself. At the next break i took my 25 yd target back to the 100 yrd line and left the 50 yrd target there. At the 50 i hit one 3" high then jerked the next one and hit the wire holding my target so it went down. At 100 yrds i was all over but kept it within 6" of center. So i know i need more practice or a scope, but figure i'll do decent when i go deer hunting in Nov. Before i left more people arrived most people were firing at the 100 yrd line. It was a very pleasant experience over all and you can't beat the price, $4 for an access pass if you don't have a fishing or hunting license, free if you do.

I live halfway between the Chikahominy range and C2 range out in VA beach. Both were great ranges though the C2 range has 200 and 300 yard and great pistol ranges. but costs $15 an hr. I will be visiting the WMA range a lot more often.
Anyway i hope this helps anyone who was wondering about the range. If you have any questions on either range feel free to ask.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Re: Chickahominy WMA Range

Postby skeeterss0 » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 09:11:10

Just wanted to add, went back out there Nov. 1st. Got there 10am, thinking they opened at 9 but found out on Sundays they don't open till 1pm. So I played with my spotting scope and laid down in my car till 1230 then started getting my gear ready and posted my targets. 2 other people showed up before 1 and we shot a couple of strings, went cold a couple of times. Then people came out of the woodwork. The place got crowded fast. I stayed till about 215. Had a good experience again and talked to a couple of guys there.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 09:26:58

I used to have fun there. I've taken my cousin and my sister shooting there, a few times.

Then they started requiring either a hunting license or a special permit to utilize the facility. I haven't been back, since. Not that I avoid it for spiteful reasons; when they implemented that rule, I couldn't afford the permit. Now it's not convenient to go there.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby M1A4ME » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:19:44

I took my youngest son out there several ties 10 or 12 years ago to shoot his rifles. Sometimes we'd go there and sometimes out to Amelia County. Had a bad experience with a couple of game wardens at the Amelia range (well, about 20 of us did) and after that I swore not to go back to a public range where people my taxes pay can walk around hollering, yelling, cussing in front of women and children.

The judge dropped the charges against all of us that showed up at the court house but I'll bet the folks that just paid and stayed at work/home that day got the shaft.

It may cost more to belong to a club/private range but the lack of hassles from a smart ass with a badge and gun makes it worth it.

One of the two game wardens seemed to wish he was somewhere else that day, he was very polite and considerate but the loud mouth was in charge.

I remember the chicken wire thing. I keep meaning to do that to some target stands at home (my brother has a little shooting range up above the garden there) but I just never think of it in time to buy some chicken wire before we go home for a weekend.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby skeeterss0 » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:47:15

The game wardens always seem to be leaving when I get there, or coming when I'm leaving. The only time I talked to one was on Sunday when I got there 3hrs before it opened. He was setting on the road as I went in. He told me the range didn't open till 1 on Sundays, which I had already read on the sign. I asked if I could just crash in my car there till then and he said sure, just no firing till 1. I left the range shortly after 2 and saw him heading up the road in the direction of the range. The range rules say you can only shoot at paper targets, but both times I was there people were shooting at other stuff like bowling pins and pumpkins. Not sure if the wardens let that go or not. I wasn't about to ruin anyone's fun as long as they are being safe.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 03 Nov 2015 13:39:03

I don't recall seeing wardens or rangers at Chickahominy, any time I've been there.

Even when I've been there by myself, there's always been at least one smartazz with a gun; he just stays quiet and generally keeps to himself.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Return to Tidewater Area