Would you attend a "Prepper" show, or convention?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Would you attend a "Prepper" show, or convention?

Postby gijoep » Sat, 08 Jun 2013 21:29:17

I seriously think you are onto something with the prepper convention thing. I would def go....not only to learn but buy some stuff if it were good deals AND to check out all of the other weirdos like myself out there. I am interested inhelping organize such an event if anyone is serious.....I don't have any cash to put towards it (I'm in the military), but could offer some organizing and coord/event planning experience. Let's do it!
RLTW!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
gijoep
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Gary

My Arsenal:
Taurus Judge, sig 516, S&W 38, Glock 19, Winchester 20 ga, Remington .410

Next Firearm:
22 bolt action rifle

Postby bryanrheem » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:08:49

Picking up this thread because I think we should continue to explore this.

What if we downscaled it at first to keep it small and simple. Not call it a Prepper convention, but just a place where VGOF members can gather to share ideas and information.

I think many of us are interested in basic survival skills, fitness, tactics, etc for water, food, weapons. Do we have enough SMEs in various areas to do this in house and keep it low key?

Maybe we could rent out a large campground. I'm sure many of us have learned tricks of the trade and are willing to pass information around.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby Diggs27 » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 23:35:58

To be truthfully honest; when I first started watching those prepper shows; I was like "yeah, OK.....that would never happen", but now seeing how our government is on such a down slide I have really started thinking of the possibilities. I would definitely be "game" to do an outing where I could learn self preservation skills that may someday help myself and my family. One thing I would add to the picture from an EMT standpoint is maybe doing something on "emergency first aid" because if anything were to seriously happen, the hospitals and "medical centers" would be either severely understaffed (due to the amount of patients they would be dealing with) or there will be a possible shortage on medical supplies. Maybe take some points from the Army Wilderness Survival guide and build off of that. As far as renting a campground; why not do this at one of the larger WMA's (wildlife management areas) or one of the National forest properties..... I live fairly close to the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest and know that they have campgrounds on premises where we could actually do this under the guise of a group hunting trip. I know a lot of the WMA's that do have camping areas allow you to be on premises for up to 14 consecutive days, and all they require is either a valid hunting, fishing, or trapping license or an access permit (which is either $4.00 daily or $23.00 for the season). I would definitely be interested in this ...... Another thing that would be interesting is even if we were to bring airsoft or paintball guns along; we could even run "military" style drills to help hone our defensive skills. :clap:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Diggs27
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joe

My Arsenal:
Daisy "pump action" BB gun......LOL
Mossberg 702 Plinkster w/ 4X scope
Mossberg 500 Field/deer combo

Next Firearm:
Walthers PPK .40

Postby TL619LT » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:08:47

Provided it provided legitimate information and products, not this gimmicky, whacker stuff associated with the horrible NatGeo show... It would be a good idea for an "emergency" preparedness program and go over logical, probable events that could occur and how to adequately prepare for them.

TL619LT
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Nick

My Arsenal:
DPMS AR15
Springfield XD .40
Remington 870 Tactical mods
Walther P22
Hipoint .40 Carbine

Next Firearm:
AK 47

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:59:16

There are some decent survival classes/instructors available.

Maybe we should use this thread to point them out, and critique their classes?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Previous

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)