Survival : Family Style (what to do with children)

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Survival : Family Style (what to do with children)

Postby bryanrheem » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:52:31

Ok,

I know this topic has been touched on here and there in different threads, but I wanted to start one dedicated to how to best prepare and 'train' a family. Obviously, this will only apply to those with children here, but all input is welcome!

I have a 10 year old (girl), 7 year old (boy) and a 4 month old.

Surviving with kids is difficult enough w/o a SHTF situation, let alone with a baby. What exercises, training would be good for the family? I know physical fitness is important and we stress that already. My son has a real interest in archery and I'm pursuing that with him, as well as shooting clays with both of them.

Thoughts?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Re: Survival : Family Style (what to do with children)

Postby Greybeard » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:14:43

Is the 10 yr. old into scouting? That would be a good start. Foraging, fishing etc. would appeal to a 10 yr old. Be sure to include your daughter in the lessons. You'll be surprised at how fast she will pick things up, if only to stay even with her brother.
Karl
Years ago it was suggested that, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." But since all the doctors are now Muslim, I've found that a bacon sandwich works great!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Greybeard
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Karl

My Arsenal:
Partial to Swiss rifles and EG and Russky Makarovs.

Postby mamabearCali » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:50:26

We are working on hiking with packs and teaching the older ones (my eldest is seven)about wild edibles (and non edibles). Mine are 7,5,3 and 10 months. I am learning that seven year olds can do a ton more than you think. We are in the same boat as you. Pray hard, think ahead as best you can, put away bunches of candy bars and dum dums as rewards.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:47:30

All three of my girlfriends boys are scouts... we practice at home... they freak out easy. I have no control over that... I have told her in a disaster, her ONLY job is to tend to the kids. Let me handle everything else, but include her in the process in case something happens to me.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby bryanrheem » Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:39:21

Grey, the 10 year old is the daughter. She is interested though in planting and growing things. Both of them love camping but that's comfortable camping.

The baby is the biggest question mark. I am thinking through what an emergency bag would look like for a baby, which is lots of diapers and clothes. The issue is when diapers run out?

Reverend, I first mis-read your post. I thought you meant that you had three different girlfriends! lol... I think that's a key: learning how to deal with and cope through the fear of the kids, and teaching them how to stay calm. That might be an impossible task, but is probably worth spending some time on.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:39:19

Bryan.....as for what to do when diapers run out......cloth diaper baby, and camp washers. I am not talking about the super fancy cloth diapers that they have now that cost $30 a piece. I am talking about those super simple flat cloth diapers that you can get for $18 a dozen, a pack of diaper pins from Walmart for $ 2.50 (online about $1 a pair) and a few one size fits all diaper covers.

You want the simplest most durable system you can get when the SHTF. Flats, pins, and covers is the simplest you can get. For less than $35 you can get a system that would cover from birth to potty training. You want flats because they wash the easiest and dry the easiest. Look up how to use cloth diaper flats online and get a few before e SHTF, then if you are in clear with no more babies to diaper they can make great rags too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)