Staying Put, or Buggin' out

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Staying Put, or Buggin' out

Postby gunderwood » Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:50:49

zephyp wrote:Its not the piece of paper that gives us or the states the power. I mentioned this once before about the 10th Amendment: Its like a condom - its useless unless you insist on using it. Same goes for the rest of the Constitution. Its useless unless we insist on using it. Many of us are interested in 2A rights, but there are a lot of others being assaulted too. We collectively as Americans (and the government) must stop using the Constitution like some ala carte menu where we can pick and choose what suits us at the moment. IMO its all or none. And, I say all.

Agree. As a contract, to remain valid and enforceable, we can not pick and choose. To selectively choose renders the contract null in void. The South made similar arguments before/during the Civil War. If I am not mistaken, they even challenged the legality of succession and the Norths actions in the courts and things were not going well for the North because the South were showing how the Federal government had voided the contract by their actions (additionally, using contract law argued that succession was an assumed right). Have to go look up the case though.

Nearly, all of my "political posts" can be summed up with this insightful quote:

But what do we mean by the American Revolution? Do we mean the American war? The Revolution was effected before the war commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution.
John Adams, letter to H. Niles, February 13, 1818

We are not in a physical war, nor is it even time to discuss that option. However, we are in a war of ideas. If we wish to win, we need to educate ourselves and our neighbors. We must understand how we got here today and reverse course. The longer we take to win the war of ideas, the more likely the only option for restoring liberty will be violence or the end of our great experiment. Not a pleasant thought and I don't claim any special powers to know the future, just historical observations.

IMHO, the particular problem with the 2nd Amendment and why so many of our topics degrade into "politics" regardless of who is in the White House, is that we stand at a crossroads. Things have progressed far enough, not that they can not be reversed peacefully, but that a lot of Americans are realizing they must choose here and now which path we will take. Do we restore liberty or do we end this great experiment and finish restoring power to the state.

Edit: I long for the day when politics is irrelevant to the discussion of our shared hobby, heritage, and securing of liberty. Perhaps, I'm an idealist, but I don't seem to recall many anti-gunners in 1776.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby zephyp » Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:29:21

In 1776 the reason we won the Revolutionary War was still fresh in their minds. We take too much for granted these days and forget the blood spilled not just then but all through our history supposedly protecting our way of life which is supposed to be the legacy left by our Founders.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby usatracy1 » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:42:32

Im new here, I am in Ffx Va, I have an alternate location in Va sandwiched in nearby mountains.

One thing I did YEARS ago, I KEPT my address as the OTHER location, this is IMPORTANT.

When the SHTF and you try to move about, having the address of your fallback location on you may be a REQUIREMENT to move about / enter that area.

Just think about smaller localized events, house fire in your sudivision, first thing cops do, no entry, but i live here, show me id .

Then they let you in the RESTRICTED area.

In the event you have a fall back like mine, where the local residents ARE INCLINED to barricade the entrance roads for 30 miles, this will be a REQUIREMENT to enter. They cant ALL know you by sight.

Just a thought.

usatracy1
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby gunderwood » Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:21:25

usatracy1 wrote:Im new here, I am in Ffx Va, I have an alternate location in Va sandwiched in nearby mountains.

One thing I did YEARS ago, I KEPT my address as the OTHER location, this is IMPORTANT.

When the SHTF and you try to move about, having the address of your fallback location on you may be a REQUIREMENT to move about / enter that area.

Just think about smaller localized events, house fire in your sudivision, first thing cops do, no entry, but i live here, show me id .

Then they let you in the RESTRICTED area.

In the event you have a fall back like mine, where the local residents ARE INCLINED to barricade the entrance roads for 30 miles, this will be a REQUIREMENT to enter. They cant ALL know you by sight.

Just a thought.

Very good idea. Unfortunately, it is easier said then done as you first have to live there.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby Skeptic » Sat, 20 Aug 2011 19:32:46

Two big things

1) It depends where one is when the SHTF, and
2) The nature of the S that is hitting the fan, and how hard

For example, if I am at work and we get an EMP.. well that is going to be tough. I may not know exactly where my family is at the time, and I may be dozens of miles from home - and if my family is out shopping , at school, etc, they might also be miles from home.

the EMP scenario is really the scenario that scares me the most because it takes down comms, it takes down our transportation, and likely causes widespread breakdown of social order. Now - it is not the most likely scenario, just one of the scarier ones.

Skeptic
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
All sadly lost in a shrimp boat accident in Oklahoma.

Previous

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)