SHTF preps for a noobie

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

SHTF preps for a noobie

Postby SurvivalSquid » Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:02:41

SHTF question from a recent preper. I’ve been going over different BO locations and escape routes for a while now and have settled on a family member’s place in North Carolina. They have about 7 acres of land with a house from the 1910’s on it. There is a subterranean storage level under the house. There are also 2 pack houses and barns with underground storage as well. This used to be a tobacco farm and has since been closed, but we do plant a sizable garden every year and there are woods right across the street for hunting purposes. The house is on well water that still has the manual pump crank assembly installed for power outages and there is a small 100’ diameter lake on the property. Most of the neighbors within a miles distance are some sort of family as well. The biggest down side to this the highway runs just on the other side of a wood lined fence that’s about 75 feet down on a 70% grade. Travel time for me is about 3 hours and can make it in my truck on about ¾ a tank of gas. I have a BOB already prepped with several weapons, ballistic vests, and med kits. I would most likely hit the local Wal-mart or Lowes on the way out to fill the bed with anything I think could be useful. My main concern would be the distance I have to travel (down 64 to 58 to 85) and the fact that the only way out of town is a bridge or a tunnel. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On a 2nd note for all active duty or retired mil guys. I am currently active duty and live 15 min in any direction from 5 different bases. Any thoughts about grabbing the BOB and Girl friend and seeking shelter on one of the bases?

Thanks for all of the comments and help in advance!

SurvivalSquid
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Tactical Mossburg 500
.40 XDM
Bersa .38

Next Firearm:
Ar-15 or AK-47

Re: SHTF preps for a noobie

Postby Taggure » Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:49:30

:popcorn:
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Vern

My Arsenal:
Mother: Ralphie, what would you like for Christmas?

Adult Ralphie: Horrified, I heard myself blurt it out.

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby gunderwood » Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:31:40

If you are active duty, I suspect that in a SHTF scenario, bugging out will be considered going AWOL. I highly suspect that you will "working." Of course the bases will likely be locked down so your GF probably couldn't get on unless you took the effort to sneak her on...however, during a SHTF situation do you really want to be found sneaking people onto a military base? I suggest not.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby zephyp » Sat, 19 Feb 2011 06:34:36

gunderwood wrote:If you are active duty, I suspect that in a SHTF scenario, bugging out will be considered going AWOL. I highly suspect that you will "working." Of course the bases will likely be locked down so your GF probably couldn't get on unless you took the effort to sneak her on...however, during a SHTF situation do you really want to be found sneaking people onto a military base? I suggest not.

Indeed. If the SHTF was real enough to have to BO and you truly felt compelled to take all that stuff, grab your girl and run - then IMHO a military base would be the last place I would go...not even considering trying to take a civilian. As soon as you cross onto the base your decisions dwindle to none and they will be made for you by someone else. Even at best you will not be allowed to leave until the crisis is over or unless you're part of a sanctioned operation. I am in no way advocating AWOL but I would be headed as far away from military bases, government centers, cities, towns, etc. IMO serious SHTF prep means we are looking to survive on our own in a very unpredictable environment and uncertain future. The moment you enter any military installation you toss all that away and essentially become a prisoner...all this hypothetically speaking of course.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)