SHTF and Dogs

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

SHTF and Dogs

Postby seeknulfind » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:35:31

While poking around various sites I came across a fellow who calls himself "Buckshot" with some good stuff on various topics - mostly trapping.

The thread on coyotes hunting-virginia/coyotes-t2972.html brought this to mind.

His pages seem to be an offshoot of another one CaptainDaves.com where SHTF scenarios are discussed. Anyway, Buckshot posted considerably on the topic of dogs. He wonders, what would happen to the millions of domesticated dogs (and cats) when their owners can no longer provide for them? Interesting premise.

http://www.captaindaves.com/buckshot/dogs.htm

Since reading that I've seen a couple of examples of problem dogs. Sometimes these dogs aren't even wild, just unleashed (pun intended).

Cats are another issue, not dealt with extensively because they do not run in packs. Although Buckshot accurately points out, cats are very efficient hunters and could well compete with humans (and other predators) for small game.

The whole idea raises some interesting questions. What would you do if threatened by a pack of wild dogs? Shoot? Or something else? In a SHTF situation, how much ammo might you willing to use up?

For those like me who love dogs, it brings up some tough choices. Offered a choice between a dog's life and mine or another human, I believe I'd save the human.

On the other hand, my nature is to conserve precious resources. Thus I'm trying to come up with non-ballistic ways of dealing with packs.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Arsenal? Isn't that like playing with fire?

Next Firearm:
Maybe something in a camel hair trigger...

Re: SHTF and Dogs

Postby Palladin » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:19:45

I have some native american friends that say there's nothing quite as tasty as a lab pup.

queue the haters in 3--2--1...
:hysterical:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby Palladin » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:35:58

Oh - and machetes are nice for close quarter work... :fence:

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby Taggure » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:36:35

What do the Koreans call it .....Gaegogi
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
Thomas Jefferson
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
(Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Taggure
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Vern

My Arsenal:
Mother: Ralphie, what would you like for Christmas?

Adult Ralphie: Horrified, I heard myself blurt it out.

Ralphie: I want an offical Red Rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle.

Postby seeknulfind » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:21:22

Taggure wrote:What do the Koreans call it .....Gaegogi

Is that Korean for din din?

About the machete, I'm thinking along the same lines actually. Maybe something in a nice battle axe.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Palladin » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:56:43

I got surrounded by two dobermans at Hatton Ferry back in the late 80's. They were on either side of me, circling and snarling. I've never been more scared by dogs, and they could smell it. I was picking up gravel and humming it at them for all I was worth, but 57 stone just isn't big enough. I finally worked my way to some bigger rocks and the dogs broke it off, deciding I just wasn't worth it.

I don't doubt for a minute that pets would revert in situations where humans ceased feeding them.

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby zephyp » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 03:56:48

Dog is not a Korean dish per se...it is favored by some Korean men who think it increases sexual abilities. And, only a certain type of dog is used...

Btw, anyone tries to eat one of my little friends and they will end up as doggie snacks...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:49:06

I was under the impression that we were talking about the BENEFITS of having a dog as a companion!

Dogs work VERY well in hunting situations, and for sentry duties.

If you have two guys, eventually they start to slack off, you add a dog who perks up at the slight sound of ANYTHING!? You got two alert guards!

As to eating them?

I think the "lap dogs" would be more tender, due to lack of exercise, but you'd have to eat two, maybe three of them for a meal. Like squirrel. :whistle:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby Palladin » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:41:59

@ Carl - Absolutely , the benefits are priceless. A dog's ears and nose would be a welcome addition to a survival unit. The unit would just have to factor in feeding another mouth...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:28:41

I'd rather have a good dog with me in a survival situation than a frakin' hippie who wants to dance around going "Whadda we do!? Whadda we dooooo!?!?"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Palladin » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:40:40

I liked that K9 John Wayne had in one of his movies, one command for any situation - "Dog!"

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby allingeneral » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:47:41

zephyp wrote:Dog is not a Korean dish per se...it is favored by some Korean men who think it increases sexual abilities. And, only a certain type of dog is used...

Btw, anyone tries to eat one of my little friends and they will end up as doggie snacks...

I heard that chihuahuas have a bit of a twang to them anyway.
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:08:30

Taco Bell Dawg- "Holy sheet, those greennngos wont to eet mee!"

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby zephyp » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 16:45:46

Yep, why I love them little Chihuahuas of mine...they dont eat hardly anything, dont take up much space, make small messes (most of the time), and yap at anything moving...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby mamabearCali » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:17:13

Well if it for having dogs around as helpers I think it really depends on the dog and your situation. They could be great in certain situations and alert you to trouble and even help hunt, but in other situations where you are trying to avoid detection they would be a huge problem if they were yappers because they would give you away.

Now if they are on the attack and I have an air gun with tons of ammo for it I would not hesitate to sting them to get them to run off. Alternatively a hard thrown rock can do wonders for most smallish animals. I really do love dogs, but if the choice is between my or my kids life and a feral dog I will end it's life (with a bullet) and take it's hide for tanning. It's meat----well lets just say I would prefer rabbit or even squirrel to that.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:20:21

"Dog is a fine meal" Mel Gibson- "The Patriot".

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby davasmith » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:54:57

Actually dog is considered a staple in Vietnam. I have several friends who spent time in Nam back in the 60's and early 70's and most of them ate the "meat" in the meal without even knowing it was dog. Today you can go down the street markets and pick which dog you want for dinner. The food network channel with Andrew Zimmerman has even shown it.
As for dogs in a SHTF scenario, I have two rather large dobermans who do and will guard on command. Titus my three year old dobie is very alert and will guard the house from motorcycles and pedestrians walking in front of my home and upon command will go to his guard stance and emit a very low growl. When commanded to he will begin walking his target bachwards and if his target refuses to move back Titus will immediately jump them. This is on command. My two year old dobie Athena will guard from a distance. She will not allow anyone within five feet of my children, wife or myself. She also will guard on command. Of the two dobies my female is more aggressive, but neither will go looking for a confrontation. They are very alert and extremely smart. The two that cornered Palladin had bad training or NO training. I would be very happy to show anyone here what healthy well trained dobermans can do.

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joshua

My Arsenal:
A sharp wit, and a big stick.... shhhh...

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby matthew03 » Tue, 02 Aug 2011 02:30:33

I worked with a Vietnam Vet who used to tell good stories on occasion, One was about some time he spent on a FOB with K9 units and their handlers, the South Vietnamese people working on the base offered to share their dinner with him one night which he did. The next day a GSD was missing, they found it's skin later; that was what he had been offered for dinner. It turned out the locals didn't understand the German Shepherds were there to work, they assumed they were being kept like cattle for food. He said it was pretty decent tasting, but he was grossed out when he found out it was dog. Still it wasn't anywhere near as gross as his VD prostitute stories. LOL!

matthew03
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Matthew

Postby seeknulfind » Sat, 06 Aug 2011 13:17:29

It's been a while since I visited this post.

Never did mention the fact that we've got 3 dogs ourselves. They are all small yappers - they'll chase a slight breeze so they would not be good in a detection avoidance situation.

But my main concern is not our own dogs but rather, the pets of all those folks who are NOT prepared to deal with any SHTF circumstances, much less the problems the family Marmaduke brings to the situation.

My new neighbors tell me dogs are already a problem near my new home. It seems that hunters like to bring new dogs to these parts. If they don't perform, they just leave them. My neighbors already provide a home for a number of these. BTW, they are ALL great dogs. They may not be champion hunters but each one is a sweet, loving animal. Back to the topic...

So, I'll agree, dogs are useful and good animals to have around in many cases, but what happens if they start showing up in droves? And what happens when food runs low?

What happens when they start showing up in packs looking at you (or your loved ones) as their main meal?

My own inkling is to come up with a way to deal with such a situation without using up precious ammo.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 07:59:14

"It seems that hunters like to bring new dogs to these parts. If they don't perform, they just leave them."

That's always aggravated the mess out of me... Yes, a dog is a "hunting tool", but show it the same love, and consideration you would your 12 ga when it's having issues, either fix it, sell it, or give it away...

You wouldn't leave your shotgun out in the woods, like a dog would you?
(excluding Jake because of his incident, but it was accidental, so we understand)

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Next

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)