SHTF and Dogs

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: SHTF and Dogs

Postby SHMIV » Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:49:31

If you've got a pack of hungry dogs, and you shoot one in the head, wouldn't the remaining hungry dogs either back off or turn their attentions the dead dog?

I just couldn't see facing off against a pack off dogs with a machete, large stick, etc., if I had a gun at my disposal.
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby seeknulfind » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:25:43

SHMIV wrote:If you've got a pack of hungry dogs, and you shoot one in the head, wouldn't the remaining hungry dogs either back off or turn their attentions the dead dog?

I just couldn't see facing off against a pack off dogs with a machete, large stick, etc., if I had a gun at my disposal.

Wonderful if you have access to a virtually unlimited supply of ammo, but what if you've got X number of rounds you need to last indefinitely? What if you bring down one pack of dogs only to discover 9 more heading your way?

Any pack has one leader with a second dog always vying for the top spot. You can and should take those two out. In all likelihood they will back off and regroup. So your immediate strategy is a good one - especially if you are caught off guard and only have a gun for a weapon.

I'm thinking of devising something similar to an old-style battle axe - something that could be used to take out a lead animal and/or sweep back a pack. However a machete may be more effective than you might first think. Again, a pack tends to stand behind a lead dog so that one should be your target anyway.

The problem comes when they form a ring around you and try to attack from behind. Here, a blade may have an advantage.

Andh

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Arsenal? Isn't that like playing with fire?

Next Firearm:
Maybe something in a camel hair trigger...

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:24:31

seeknulfind wrote:
SHMIV wrote:If you've got a pack of hungry dogs, and you shoot one in the head, wouldn't the remaining hungry dogs either back off or turn their attentions the dead dog?

Wonderful if you have access to a virtually unlimited supply of ammo, but what if you've got X number of rounds you need to last indefinitely? What if you bring down one pack of dogs only to discover 9 more heading your way?

Any pack has one leader with a second dog always vying for the top spot. You can and should take those two out. In all likelihood they will back off and regroup. So your immediate strategy is a good one - especially if you are caught off guard and only have a gun for a weapon.

I'm thinking of devising something similar to an old-style battle axe - something that could be used to take out a lead animal and/or sweep back a pack. However a machete may be more effective than you might first think. Again, a pack tends to stand behind a lead dog so that one should be your target anyway.

The problem comes when they form a ring around you and try to attack from behind. Here, a blade may have an advantage.

Andh

I have heard that a very tall walking stick with a hat on the top of it keeps bears away; the idea being that the bear is fooled into believing that you are taller than you really are. While I have little to no faith in that theory, in regard to bears, I wonder if it would have any effect on dogs.

Of course, regardless of your weaponry, I would think that traveling with a couple of close and trusted friends would tilt the odds closer to your favor, should you encounter a pack of wild and hungry dogs.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Palladin » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 19:11:00

Hmmmm. While I'm not one to pass up a chance to craft something on the anvil, I'm not feeling the battle axe. I've carried a machete when working in the woods for years, my first real job was brushing property lines with a forester when I got out of high school. The benefit of having the blade in a scabbard on my belt just makes more sense to me. If the ferals want to work in close, let them come.

However, if yer heart's set on something bigger, there's always this -
brush hook.jpg
brush hook.jpg (2.99 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby seeknulfind » Sun, 21 Aug 2011 20:05:49

Palladin wrote:Hmmmm. While I'm not one to pass up a chance to craft something on the anvil, I'm not feeling the battle axe. I've carried a machete when working in the woods for years, my first real job was brushing property lines with a forester when I got out of high school. The benefit of having the blade in a scabbard on my belt just makes more sense to me. If the ferals want to work in close, let them come.

However, if yer heart's set on something bigger, there's always this -
brush hook.jpg

A machete might well be more practical when you are out and about. That brush hook looks interesting but a bit bulky.

As for the battle axe, I was thinking of something lighter than what may come to mind - maybe something made from a circular saw blade. Once again, something like that might not be the best thing if you are traveling light. On the other hand - it might come in handy close to home.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:05:25

Here's a thought:

Become proficient in the art of knife throwing. Also, and I know it may sound cheesy, learn how to use throwing stars. You don't have to let the animals get so close in order to use these, and you can retrieve and re-use them.

If you have good lungs, a blow-gun could be useful. If you are not concerned with eating the dog, you could poison your darts.

Also, if you are aware of packs, and, again, have no plans to eat the dogs, you could preemptively set out dishes of anti-freeze to poison the dogs. The drawback to that, of course, is that less dangerous/more edible wildlife would also be poisoned by it.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:10:41

Sooo, bow, and arrows completely not in the picture?

Just asking. I can do some horrible damage with the proper broad heads. You SERRATE those a bit? OMG! Like flying buzz saws! (SSSHHHH, "BLACK TALON BROAD HEADS!" )

A collapsible 25 lb Bear bow isn't expensive, and you can store it in one pack, and get it together fairly quickly. ZIP! THWACK!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby seeknulfind » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:07:07

Reverenddel wrote:Sooo, bow, and arrows completely not in the picture?

Just asking. I can do some horrible damage with the proper broad heads. You SERRATE those a bit? OMG! Like flying buzz saws! (SSSHHHH, "BLACK TALON BROAD HEADS!" )

A collapsible 25 lb Bear bow isn't expensive, and you can store it in one pack, and get it together fairly quickly. ZIP! THWACK!

Nothing is out of the question here. Just saw a video where someone showed how to shoot an arrow with a slingshot. Deadly at close range and fairly easy to carry. If you run out of arrows, a handful of marbles, rocks, whatever could at least help keep danger at bay.

What I like about a blade is it never leaves your hand (hopefully). Of course the other side of that coin is you need to be close to use it.

Thrown blades could also be used but they could be a bit awkward to carry. Arrows on the other hand are a bit easier to carry in quantity.

I see no reason why one should be limited to just one weapon. I certainly wouldn't strap on a machete and leave my handgun at home.

Andy

I see

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:30:02

I've been looking at this whole scenario from the perspective of a guy who is 5'5", and weighs less than 120 lbs. I'm guessing that dog packs won't be including any chihuahuas, shih-tzus, or any other smallish dogs. (I don't care what Disney says; I ain't buyin' it)

I figure that the dogs in a pack will be, at least, the size of me. I suppose that I could take one dog that size; maybe two, on a good day. But, a pack of them? No. I'll want those animals to keep their distance. This is why I'm considering weapons that don't require close range, lol.

If it came down to it, I'd probably feel the need to use precious ammo; I'd figure that if I didn't, I probably wouldn't be around long enough to need it again.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby seeknulfind » Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:32:35

SHMIV wrote:I've been looking at this whole scenario from the perspective of a guy who is 5'5", and weighs less than 120 lbs. I'm guessing that dog packs won't be including any chihuahuas, shih-tzus, or any other smallish dogs. (I don't care what Disney says; I ain't buyin' it)

I figure that the dogs in a pack will be, at least, the size of me. I suppose that I could take one dog that size; maybe two, on a good day. But, a pack of them? No. I'll want those animals to keep their distance. This is why I'm considering weapons that don't require close range, lol.

If it came down to it, I'd probably feel the need to use precious ammo; I'd figure that if I didn't, I probably wouldn't be around long enough to need it again.

I'm 5'5" too (and I am NOT shrinking no matter WHAT my wife says!) - haven't seen 120 lbs in years - so I hear you.

Faced with an unexpected dog threat, I too, would opt for survival first and use whatever means necessary to get through the task at hand.

My op was intended to open a discussion about what to do should the SHTF and dog packs becoming an increasingly chronic problem. Believe me, if I was down to my last 10 rounds and that was all that stood between me and a pack of hungry dogs, my only real concern would be "make every shot count".

Meanwhile, I thought it might not hurt to give some thought a very real potential threat. Of all the solutions offered thus far, I'd say a machete would certainly be an nice inexpensive addition to any preparations.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:23:52

When we look at this dog pack scenario, are we assuming that we have a base camp? If we do, are the dogs approaching the camp, or have we left the camp for some reason?

Or is our background situation assuming traveling on foot, having to carry anything we deem important on our backs?

Regardless of the background, though, I would have to say that if aggressive dog packs have become a chronic problem, there should be no "unexpected" attack.

The question becomes, then, what measures, if any, can be taken to discourage a pack of dogs from getting close?

I like this discussion, by the way. I hadn't given any thought to this scenario prior to this thread being posted, and I agree that this could pose a problem in a true SHTF situation.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby seeknulfind » Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:20:13

SHMIV wrote:When we look at this dog pack scenario, are we assuming that we have a base camp? If we do, are the dogs approaching the camp, or have we left the camp for some reason?

Or is our background situation assuming traveling on foot, having to carry anything we deem important on our backs?

Regardless of the background, though, I would have to say that if aggressive dog packs have become a chronic problem, there should be no "unexpected" attack.

The question becomes, then, what measures, if any, can be taken to discourage a pack of dogs from getting close?

I like this discussion, by the way. I hadn't given any thought to this scenario prior to this thread being posted, and I agree that this could pose a problem in a true SHTF situation.

You're right, if the problem is chronic, one should expect an attack at any time. One could face several different situations. Attacks at a base - where measures should and could be taken to protect an area around the base. It would be wise to provide protection from more than just dogs.

I'd say fencing of some sort should be considered. Even a barrier made from brush would help.

Then one would also need to consider what to do when out foraging. Over an extended period, it would be necessary to venture beyond the perimeter of one's residence. Traveling a distance may present other challenges.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Previous

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)