Red Dawn

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Red Dawn

Postby Hpancho » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:42:50

The original Red Dawn was on TV last night. I like how the movie gets right to the plot from the start. Just like if SHTF, it happens in an instant and people have to choose their course of action immediately.

I would say that most people (sheeple) are unprepared. Not to say that this would happen here in the CONUS, but a government/economic collapse is feasibly and chaos could ensue. I cannot claim to have a years worth of food and supply, but short term I could hold our my until joint efforts with close friends can be established and a plan (based off of the SHTF scenario) is put together. No one can be ready for anything and everything. You can't repair for a natural cataclysm AND a nuclear disaster AND a viral outbreak AND even a zombie apocalypse. Even if you have years of food and water stored away in your home, what if a flood occurs that forced you leave your home. The best you can hope to do is to have a plan for different SHTF scenarios.

I think that the best thing to have is a "good head on your shoulders" and be able to think on your feet. Hunkering down has its advantages, but so does the ability to mobile. Some situations may require you to fortify your location, such as anarchy in the streets. Other situations may require you to "bug out" and grab what you can, such as a nuclear meltdown or viral epidemic.

One thing is for sure, having some food and water supply will be key short and long term. Having various type of weapons (primitive or modern) will vital for survival, whether it would be for defense or hunting. Remember that you may only have time to grab some of your weapons and ammo. Having a generator is great unless you have to bug out. Then you have to make choices as to what you pack in your vehicle(s) given your available time to relocate.

Communication may be difficult, depending on the situation. When we had a small earthquake here in VA, cell phone lines were tied up for awhile. Best to have a form of two way radios and a lot of batteries.

Maybe in the end, we all end up in the mountains fending for ourselves until the SHTF scenario is over and we can "return" to our lives that we knew.

The remake is reportedly coming out later this year (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/). This time around, it is the North Koreans invading.

Hpancho
On Target
On Target

First Name: Hubert

My Arsenal:
Chiappa 1911-22 .22lr
Chiappa M9-22 .22lr
Ruger P89 9mm
Kahr P40 .40 cal
ATI FX45 1911 Titan .45 cal
Rock Island M1911 A1 .45 cal
Rock Island M1911 A1 9mm
Remington 597 .22lr
Remington 597 VTR .22lr
S&W M&P 15-22 .22lr

Re: Red Dawn

Postby zombiekiller57 » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 15:58:50

I'm interested to see what they will do with the story for the new movie. Especially in this political correctness atmosphere they are trying to blow up everyone's butt.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Tim

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Shotblast w/scope
Supersoaker Sniper
Supersoaker Claymore 10 pack

Next Firearm:
Supersoaker Anti-Aircraft Missles

Postby Hpancho » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:11:00

I have heard that in this version of the movie, the invaders were supposed to be the Chinese, however, since they are a HUGE market for the U.S, adjustments were made so that the North Koreans are the invaders.

Hpancho
On Target
On Target

First Name: Hubert

My Arsenal:
Chiappa 1911-22 .22lr
Chiappa M9-22 .22lr
Ruger P89 9mm
Kahr P40 .40 cal
ATI FX45 1911 Titan .45 cal
Rock Island M1911 A1 .45 cal
Rock Island M1911 A1 9mm
Remington 597 .22lr
Remington 597 VTR .22lr
S&W M&P 15-22 .22lr

Postby SilentServiceVet » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:59:29

Reminds me of the PC (X-Box, PS3) game "Homefront." In the game, the North Koreans invade after crippling the U.S. with an EMP strike. As games go, this one has one heck of a plot:

"In 2013, one year after the death of Kim Jong-Il, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un reunites North and South Korea to form the Greater Korean Republic. The United States withdraws overseas troops to deal with domestic instability. Shortly after, a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia causes oil pipelines to burn and the price of gasoline to skyrocket. By 2022, the United States faces extreme economic turmoil and massive social unrest, culminating in complete economic collapse. On January 16, 2025, a Korean satellite, launched under the cover of a program to replace the decaying Global Positioning System, detonates a high-altitude nuclear weapon over the continental United States. The destruction of above-ground electronics across the country by the massive resulting electromagnetic pulse is followed by the Greater Korean Republic invading the country to divide the United States in half, leaving the American military isolated and scattered and U.S. residents to resist the invasion on their own."

Granted, with the direction our current President has taken this country, this isn't exactly far-fetched.

Some ships are designed to sink ... others require our assistance.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Virginia Gun Owners Coalition (VGOC) Member  
SilentServiceVet
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nate

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer P226 MK 25
S&W M&P9c
S&W M&P Shield 9
S&W Bodyguard 38
S&W Bodyguard 380
Dan Wesson Valor V-Bob

Postby zombiekiller57 » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 22:01:03

SilentServiceVet, yup It actually seems boring almost like a documentary.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
zombiekiller57
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Tim

My Arsenal:
Supersoaker Shotblast w/scope
Supersoaker Sniper
Supersoaker Claymore 10 pack

Next Firearm:
Supersoaker Anti-Aircraft Missles

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)