Radiation Detectors

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Radiation Detectors

Postby Rumson » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:30:13

A nuclear blast is not my main concern.. I'm close enough to D.C. and right next to Dulles Airport so I'm sure I'd be vaporized if a major State acted..Dirty bombs not my main concern either.

My main concern is the increasing amount of information/data I'm seeing on alternative news sites concerning Fukishima..

I'm worried about exposure via the food chain and specifically seafood I eat in various forms..

Has anybody already done the research on hand held devices? Perhaps a scanner I could use in the grocery store? Can you lend some expert opinions or advise on the topic in general.

- Rumson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Rumson
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rumson

My Arsenal:
Break in and find out.

Re: Radiation Detectors

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 17 Jan 2014 22:12:29

I have some gamma/neutron radiation detectors at work. You will be super obvious and likely make people upset scanning food with one. Also, damn near everything is radioactive to a degree. Even living cells obsorb some detectable traces. If you don't know how to use it and understand the readings, it won't do you any good.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Rumson » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 00:11:52

Yeah.. I wasn't thinking of a bright yellow box and a wand.. Add a chem suit and I could clear the store.. Ive seen some small palm size devices but they seem to be more of a gimmick as they don't show actual levels and are audible only..

Rumson
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rumson

My Arsenal:
Break in and find out.

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 18 Jan 2014 00:22:49

This is the brand we use. See if they have anything you might like.

http://www.ludlums.com/

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)