Packing a family/personal Get home bag

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Packing a family/personal Get home bag

Postby mamabearCali » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:46:34

Like many of you my husband works in the city (Richmond) and we live in the extreme suburbs (across the street from us is the woods where people hunt). We have been talking about packing a get home bag for him for a few months. We had kind of been waiting for some funding to come in so we could get really nice stuff.....well no more. The events of this weekend have shoved me to get it done now with what I have on hand. We will add to it of course as funding does come in. His bag was relatively simple and straightforward. Pack enough stuff for him to survive 2 days to walk home, with basic first aid, defense, cold gear, shelter, and food capabilities. Because we are working with our stuff from around the house and not specialized stuff it is somewhat heavy at 20Lbs, but he is a big strong guy and can hack it.

Now for my cars get home/emergency bags.....this has been a whole other animal. I don't go near as far from home as Chris does--say usually less than 5 miles from home. So my bag does not have to cover the scope that his does. But here is the kicker....I have 4 children with me from age 7 to 9 months 99% of the time......Yep whole new ball game. I need to carry simple survival gear for 5 people and if my stroller gets destroyed I will have to carry (in a sling/pack) a 16lb child as well. So we are busting our heads on how to do this. Right now the best I can figure out is that the 7 and 5 year old can carry a portion of their supplies (say 8 lbs for the 7 year old, and 5 lbs for the 5 year old). The 3 year old can carry his comfort gear (hat/gloves/candy/small toy) in a belt pack. This is not exactly a BOB, we hope to bug in at home as we are in the x-burbs, but it is a "walk home from costco bag, because a tornado just destroyed our car" in the worst case a "walk home from costco because an EMP just took out our car."

So do any of yall have any thoughts on this. I can carry a 20lb bag with no difficulty, however a 20lb bag on the back with a 16lb baby on the front would wear me out very quickly.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Re: Packing a family/personal Get home bag

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:10:36

Here's an example of a 72-hour bag.

http://theepicenter.com/72_hour_emergen ... packs.html

Everything can fit easily in a day pack such as the one I keep in my vehicle.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/ ... 348469.uts

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:10:01

No doubt that packing for 5 is tough when you're the only one that can carry the bag. On the positive side, if your travel radius is generally 5 miles then you wouldn't be looking to pack things like a tent or sleeping bags right? I would think about having a bag for spring/summer and a bag for fall/winter and rotate them as the seasons change. Your spring/summer bag could focus on having water and sunscreen as you make the hike home while the fall/winter bag has things like gloves, hand warmers, etc. Hopefully by having two seasonal bags that'll help lighten the load that you'll have to carry.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby mamabearCali » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:54:18

I don't think we need sleeping bags exactly or a tent, however I am concerned enough about the possibility of a break down at night or a situation where congestion keeps me from home before nightfall that I want to have a few blankets (small one for each child) and a piece of plastic I could form into a small tent (mostly for the kids....If I have a hat and gloves I am good). My husband and I were thinking of having a three season bag with an addendum bag for winter.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Mindflayer » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:25:41

What happened this weekend?

Also, how about a running stroller? Then you can throw stuff in there (if you can be on level ground) for more mobility.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:53:25

Awesome three season idea. I guess first thing is to get the stuff together that you'd need if you were five miles out and planned on hiking straight home (at night). Find out how much that weighs then go from there. When you get into thinking about what you need to stay put for the night, the weight really starts to add up quick between a tarp for shelter, blankets, food, more water, etc. Adding those extras might put you over your weight limit. Of course after you get your stuff together you can substitute items out for items that weigh less (a lighter flashlight, athletic clothing that is lighter than a blanket but still retains heat, etc). Not many people think about saving an ounce of weight here, or a few ounces there, but it all adds up.

Another thing that might open up some options for you is not going with the plan that you'll have to carry the bag (like a traditional backpack) AND a child. What if instead of the traditional backpack you had a piece of inexpensive luggage with wheels and got one of these?

I'd rather wheel that for five miles than carry 35+ pounds of supplies and offspring.

And for your husband's get home bag, there should be room for a folding Kel-Tec Sub 2000 with a few extra magazines. Definitely going in a bag for me and one for my wife. :thumbsup:

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby mamabearCali » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:00:48

What happened this weekend is the world went nuts (again) and I am having visions of the Mogadishu, the USS Cole, and then 9-11 running through my head and have decided that it is quite likely we could be attacked again, and if it happened on multiple targets it is conceivable that we here in Richmond could be targeted. If that happens here there is a good chance that Chris could have to walk home.

I have an all-terrain double stroller and it is my hope should I ever have to walk home to pop my two youngest in it and use it to cart us home.....if that is the case no problem whatsoever. We are good to go. However if this insanity should happen on the way to costco or back--which is about as far as I am from home on a monthly basis (I have to take out the stroller to get those boxes in there) I am royally screwed.

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby mamabearCali » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:27:57

love that gun by the way!

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:35:11

HMMMM... that Kel-tec in .40 S&W would prolly work with that 33-round G-22 mag I've got. I wouldn't mind having one of THEM. Wish they made 'em in .45ACP, though.

MBC, you ever thought about getting a 4-wheeler and parking it in the garage in case the SHTF with you? I bet you could contrive a way to mount 3 child seats on one.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:47:08

Yes dormin, you can get the KT in either 40 or 9mm and they can accept the respective Glock magazines. A perfect addition if your system already includes a Glock carry piece or you already have Glock magazines around the house. Same is true if you have certain S&W, Sig, or Beretta mags in your system. There are a lot of variants to this handy gun. Hard part seems to be finding someone who has it in stock!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby kelu » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:53:23

I have one of this for each of us:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WX ... irect=true
very small and light to carry. Plus couple mylar blankets. You can add http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y9 ... 01_s00_i06, and if is cold season, couple http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Z ... 01_s01_i03
Mama Bear, if poop is coming, it won't just happen on the way home from Costco. You will be able to smell it 1-2 days in advance, at least. Shit is stinking even before it hits the fan.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:03:33

Yeah, and you can tell it's about to drop a big load any day now!

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Mindflayer » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:41:09

Ah, the riots. You know what's great? Having a honeymoon planned for next week in EU. Sigh.

(Well, I hope my housesitter is a good shot in case poop happens here.)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby mamabearCali » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:53:25

Minflayer, Happy nuptials! I am sure the honeymoon will be lovely.

Shotgun and Kelu, that is what I am worried about....I can see easily three or four things that strip the veneer of civilization away. The most likely issue I think is the inner cities going crazy if Obama is defeated come election day. I swear I am planning on having the capabilities to stay in my home for a few weeks if we must (x burbs is less likely to have to bug out in that situation, but anything is possible).

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Mindflayer » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:39:35

I may be one of the more liberal ones on this web site (though I'm a libertarian, not a liberal), but yeah, whatever side wins, I'll be prepared for the SHTF.

Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby ShotgunBlast » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:51:26

Being outside of Richmond I don't plan for anything specifically happening in Richmond. I think it's too small a target. Not sure about rioting or anything like that in the city, but you never know. I am concerned with our proximity to DC in that there would be a lot of people making their way down 95 if something were to happen there with them being a more likely target.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:03:40

There are all sorts of events, both natural and man-made, that could put any of us in a survival situation at any time. Being prepared doesn't mean you're paranoid, it just makes you a little more prepared than you would have been otherwise.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:12:33

Emergency Essentials (www.beprepared.com) will outfit you with foods for 5 days (Go for the emergency bars-AKA "K" rations). Also, make sure the vehicle you're traveling is well maintained. Roads, and such will be fine for awhile, But carrying a Gerber Axe (On sale at Wal-mart) will help clear roads. Paracord is a definite (www.supplycaptain.com), along with a roll of Gorilla Tape (Wal-mart)

As to the Kel-Tec Sub2000? I have one dressed out with all the "toys", it fits in a laptop bag, with a picatinny, folding foregrip, and 5 33 round G17 mags... And it'll work VERY well in a pinch. It's best to NOT tell anyone about it, until you need it, but the look on people's faces when you whip out a 33 round 9mm carbine all "tactical'd" out is PRICELESS!

And Dorm? I swear we're related, I have e-mailed Kel-tec MULTIPLE times about making on to fit Glock 21 mags! I would ADORE one in .45 ACP! With the Kriss "mag extenders" it'll give you 25-30 rounds of 230 FMJ luv.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby mamabearCali » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:53:16

If God forbid we should have to evacuate and the roads are still good there is no way we are ditching the van to hike into the woods. The van is pretty well off and I try to keep it above half a tank....just cause I get nervous below that (been out of money and out of gas a few times...not something I want to repeat with kids in the back). So if I need to I can get out of here and drive almost to West Virginia if I must. Surely that would put me in friendlier territory in general.

I do love that Kel-tec.....husband says he will just get me a few more magazines for my Karh CM9.....rats. He does not see the point if it does not shoot a bigger bullet any faster. I can see his point...if we are going to spend another $400 on something it really should be a shotty or a rifle, something that can A put bigger holes in things, and B can provide food for us. I am thinking on the topic of food of simply buying some snickers bars, cup of soups, and vienna sausages. Those transport well. I can eat K rations and live with it, for any number of days.....kids well....I have tried them on similar things and lets just say they would go hungry for a long time before they ate one of those. That amount of time that they decided to be hungry would be painful for us all. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Perhaps we will get a few K rations for the adults and keep the snickers to keep the kids sane.

Of course at home we have better supplies, but we are talking transportable supplies to last about 72 hours for the car, and supplies to walk home in the bag.

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 01:52:10

MamaBear,

You've indicated, several times, that you home school your children. Do you train your children to carry stuff, if need be? Clearly, this would not be an option for the baby, but the older kids could possibly carry a few pounds of whatever, in a backpack. You could set up an obstacle course in the back yard, and have the kids go through it while carrying a weighted backpack. Make it fun, like a contest. Or, maybe there is a neighborhood playground that you could utilize for the same purpose. If any of the other neighborhood moms question you, tell them that you home school and you are having a PE class... which, of course, would be the truth.

Kids are tough. When I was 7, I hiked the entirety of York River State Park, with my father, in a day. That was about 25 miles (Well, 25 miles in 1986, anyway. The mileage may have changed, since then). Oh, and it rained that day. I had about a 20 pound pack. My sister, who was about 5 at the time, did about half that distance, that year, with a same-size pack. That time took less than a day. Which reminds me; your whole family should go hiking on a weekly basis, if possible. Aside from the benefit of witnessing the awe and wonder of what God has created, it prepares everyone for having to take a long walk, should the need arise. And, it gets the little people used to carrying stuff, too.
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Next

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)