Not all zombies are created equal in SHTF

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Not all zombies are created equal in SHTF

Postby Batty67 » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:07:25

My 13 YO son and I have had this discussion: there is a LOAD of difference between the shambling, "walking dead" and the full-out sprinting, pissed-off zombies of 28 days laters and the wonderful Dawn of the Dead remake. For one thing, for "walkers", after the initial die-off, other survivors would be the manin enemy. For sprinters, the zombies would always be the main threat.

So, surviving a zombie apocalypse (almost as fun to discuss as what I'd do if I won the lottery; too bad I don't buy lottery tickets) depends on the zombies involved. In brief, for the walking dead, I'd say being mobile is the way to go, or at least is a viable option. For the sprinters, I'd say you would *have* to fortify and defend. In either case, I content that these situations are where a common caliber pistol cartridge carbine and matched handgun that shares hi-cap magazines would hine. So, say a 9mm.

Just another stupid, but fun, friday-type discussion.

Batty67
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mark

My Arsenal:
CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm)
M1 "tacticool" carbine (.30 carbine)
Ruger 10/22

Re: Not all zombies are created equal in SHTF

Postby Wolvee » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:28:49

I don't particularly care for zombie talk but there's one thing about it, it makes you think about how you're going to be prepared. We do need to realize though that we need to deal with looters and with false tyrannical authority in completely different ways.

Preparing for Natural disasters is also a great way to prepare for "other" things. (I don't say online.)
Le prixs'oublie, la qualité reste

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:34:02

Ok, here's an interesting one for you. Who's to say that zombies won't be able to drive a car/truck/bus/etc.?

If you answer no to that question, then you've never driven around the Hampton Roads area. I'm thinking that a undead driver could easily pilot a large vee-hicle into your safe structure and getcha.

Impossible you say? I'm not so sure.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby Wolvee » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:12:43

Le prixs'oublie, la qualité reste

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)