How long will food last?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

How long will food last?

Postby ModelAUzi » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 22:10:13

I know it depends on a lot of factors however, If you go and buy some processed stuff that supposed to last for 5 years. What's everyone's plan at year 4? Do you start to eat it and buy more so you don't let it go bad?

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

Re: How long will food last?

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 22:37:43

I hope you have a lot of other kinds of foods stocked up before you go looking at MREs since they can get expensive real quick. Lots of water, buckets or rice, wheat, beans, etc last many years at a fraction of the price of MREs.

Store what you eat and eat what you store. Rotate, rotate, rotate.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 28 Jun 2012 08:06:24

Most sealers don't last forever either. The tensile strength of the plastic with aspirate over time... a oxygen absorber isn't a bad idea.

Lentils, and Rice are a good idea, with a sealed seasoning packet.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby ModelAUzi » Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:01:17

Thanks everyone. I think the best bet is to Rotate everything.

ModelAUzi
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
I like all guns

Postby traveler » Sun, 08 Jul 2012 12:25:56

You need 1000 lbs of food per person, per year. So don't worry about it spoilling, worry about having enough of it instead, ok? have the abilty to generate bean, alphalfa and other sprouts, as well as regular gardening. Have snares, gill nets, and trotlines, and a year's supply of venison-jerky, dried fruit, grain, and Criso, (in sealed cans). the game will almost certainly be all gone in a month, the livestock in 2 weeks, after shtf. the stores will be emptied, at gunpoint if need be, within a very few days of shtf. The feedstores, graineries and pet stores might last a few more days, cause most people won't think of them til later on. The farmer's grain bins will be emptied when their livestock are killed, count on it. Avoiding all these ambush sites is by far the best strategy for shtf. Have your own food, buried, scattered around your bol.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
traveler
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
M4, Diamondback 9mm, Buckmark Browning.

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)