Gear isn't Prepping.

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Gear isn't Prepping.

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 17:04:30

I know folks have health issues. Understood. However, you have to have your mental tenacity to keep going in survival, and the best way to do that is to train when you're able.

Better to sweat in training, than to bleed in combat.

I don't have any advice other than find what works for you. Modify your diet a bit, maybe. Get up off the couch. Stretch a bit if you can.

But do not give up.

I have a saying I tell the kids "Gear ain't preppin'." Freeze-Dried food, Ammo, Firearms, a bunker, BOB's, and BOV's, all nice... but if you're like some of the guys I see at the gunshow who are sweating, and huffing just walking down an aisle. Do not tell me "THIS GUN WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE!" Yeah, so will cutting out the sugar, and hitting a treadmill!

When I was younger, I did things that have caused my body to hurt. The phrase "If I knew I was gonna live this long, I woulda taken better care of my body" (Which is a damned lie, because I've partied like a rock-star in my youth, which makes me smile in my middle age).

So I just wanted to say, for all the talk we have of gear. Stay in the best shape you can be. It may be your best piece of gear yet!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Re: Gear isn't Prepping.

Postby ShotgunBlast » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 17:11:54

I don't have to outrun everyone in the zombie apocalypse, I just have to outrun the slowest person! :hysterical:

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby widefat » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 18:37:00

Your perspective changes as you age. I used to prep for leading the family to safety.

Now I prep for "prop me up and leave me two mags. I'll hold'em off while you get clear."
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby UnderwaterMike » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:45:09

widefat wrote:Your perspective changes as you age. I used to prep for leading the family to safety.

Now I prep for "prop me up and leave me two mags. I'll hold'em off while you get clear."

Love this.

I got a significant back injury when I turned 43 and had to stop a lifetime of activity. (Not being able to dive has hurt the most, but I'd even like to go for a run or ride if I could.) The last seven years have been nothing but a battle against the bulge. I'd love to be able to have my strength and endurance back, but the odds are slim. Barring that, it just means that I have to compensate with more firepower. :machinegun:
Proudly American by birth. Proudly Virginian by choice.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
UnderwaterMike
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Lost them all while boating on the Potomac.

Next Firearm:
Ruger SR1911

Postby bryanrheem » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:59:45

So true...

I have the family situation. Family exercise is key, like going on hikes, bike rides, etc.

My friend runs with a 40lb backpack. I've thought about that to best carry my 17 month old.

I've also been spending more time with my 22lrs. Seems to me that those will be what I'll be bugging out with.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby Que » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 22:01:28

This is so true. I know many who believe their gun is the first line of defense, but never consider a good knife or flashlight, not to mention simply escaping the area. But that is a problem for some, because they don't care for their bodies. If the body is tired, the mind will not function properly. If the mind is not functioning, wrong/bad decisions will be made.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
Que
On Target
On Target

Postby RWBlue01 » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 00:42:33

I always find these threads interesting.

They usually get started by someone who has X covered, but has other items not covered.

I guess I am playing Jesus here. Those that do not have any sins please cast the first stone.

OP, tell us what you are doing, don't tell us what others are not doing.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 09:30:43

A'ight, I work out just about every day in some way, shape, or fashion.

I do not run anymore because of my knees, but I walk between 4-5 miles every other day.

On the days I'm not walking, I lift weights, and not "Trying to cut to attract hot chicks" lifting. I'm talking small-medium weights, multiple reps to build STAMINA! I'm already strong, I need to be able to CONTINUE. Kettlebells, dumbbells, and a light bench is all I do.

But do not laugh, I do calisthenics, and "combat yoga"

Because I found stretching every single damned day makes me VERY "damage proof". People "pull" thing because they're "tight". When you're doing yoga, and stretching, you maintain the ability to keep damages to a minimum.

EAT CORRECTLY! I have to maintain my BGL's without meds now. Dropping all that weight, and bumping up my protein, lowering my carbs, and eating more raw veggies, I actually FEEL better!

An 81mg Aspirin every day. If you can. My father had a quadruple bypass, I started that regime simply to lessen the chance.

There ya' go... what I do... every damned day.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby RWBlue01 » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 16:29:19

Reverenddel wrote: "combat yoga"

Because I found stretching every single day makes me VERY "damage proof".

An 81mg Aspirin every day. If you can. .

What is Combat yoga?

What stretches? I agree, stretching helps prevent other issues.

I need to get back on aspirin as a preventative pill, but I really don't like pills. If I could just find a willow tree to nibble on every day.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 20:28:44

RWBlue01 wrote:What is Combat yoga?

I think it's similar to Tactical Yoga. Or maybe that was Tactical Yogurt?

Nah, never mind.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby widefat » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 20:44:02

No, I think he meant "Combat Toga".
I prefer the "Tactical Kilt" because it does not present the risk of garment entanglement.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/06/30/tactical-kilt/

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby SHMIV » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 20:49:30

This thread reminds me...

It's occurred to me that a subforum on health and fitness would probably be a welcome addition around here. I imagine that those of us who have surpassed the age of 30 all have some affliction, severe or minor annoyance, that we deal with daily, and it would be nice to have a place to discuss triumphs and new challenges. And, it's relevant to a gun forum in that hunting and/or prepping is easier, or more enjoyable, if one is in good health.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 10:23:32

That's a good idea.

"Combat Yoga" are basically the some of the same exercises as yoga, but no leotard, and none of that "Namaste" sh't.

The shock on someone's face when a "big Boi' like me is nimble, and flexible is worth the ridiculous poses I put up with.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby widefat » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:13:28

So about Combat Yoga....
Where did you learn?

widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby Remek » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:20:46

^^^ bedroom
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Postby ilaurain » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 07:19:07

ShotgunBlast wrote:I don't have to outrun everyone in the zombie apocalypse, I just have to outrun the slowest person! :hysterical:

I hear ya, Same with Bear's

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
ilaurain
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
12g shotty
glock 33

Postby ilaurain » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 07:20:26

widefat wrote:Your perspective changes as you age. I used to prep for leading the family to safety.

I hear ya there to. Its hard to prep when you might need to relocate also. A true prepper needs to be rich to begin with.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
ilaurain
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
12g shotty
glock 33

Postby mamabearCali » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:35:26

Skills are good too. If one knows how to do certain things one can a. save $$ now and b. be useful in times to come.

I am working on learning several rather silly but could be very useful skills at this time. I already know how to cook from scratch with a variety of ingredients very well. I could still use some better skills on bean cooking. But I digress.

I am now working on fabric knowledge. If one is fed, now one needs warm clothes for days like these. So learning how to harvest and process fiber into usuable means becomes an important skill. In the meantime it is a fun hobby.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby meadmkr » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:29:21

Yawn...

Anyone that focuses on one aspect of an independent/prepping lifestyle at the detriment to others isn't doing themselves any good. BALANCE is the key to this type of lifestyle.

Since we bought our property last year (over in WV) I've gotten into much better shape as a by-product doing more outside/physical work vs my job in I.T. Our BOL's primary purpose is for hunting and a weekend getaway. Like most things in prepping, our tools have multiple uses. Knowledge/skills are simply other types of tools. We prepare for scenarios as a form of insurance and our focus is on those scenarios that are more probable than TEOTWAWKI. With that as our focus we have adequate preps to get us through those events such as bad weather, extended power outages or even a few months of unemployment.

As to honing other skills I don't have the physical ability I once did. So I work smarter not harder. I work on the skills I need to sustain my family for the near and long-term events. Frankly I don't plan on leading an assault on a stronghold but can effectively defend me and mine.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)