Evacuation Routes

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Evacuation Routes

Postby seeknulfind » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:16:15

The past couple of years (maybe longer, I dunno) I've seen signs for evacuation routes posted in various places. Someone has gone to a lot of trouble here.

What puzzles me is they all seem to point TO populated areas. i don't get it. The last place I'd want to "evacuate" to is a heavily populated area.

Thoughts?

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Arsenal? Isn't that like playing with fire?

Next Firearm:
Maybe something in a camel hair trigger...

Re: Evacuation Routes

Postby Palladin » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:43:42

The kind of folks that would follow and evac route sign aren't going to be able to make it in rural and wilderness areas. That's just nanny gov corraling the sheeple up to administer their nonexistent services...

Why isn't anybody helping us?! :confused:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:47:07

You know what the FEMA Evacuation Plan is for New Orleans currently?

RUN BITCH! RUN!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby justsumstuff » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:56:03

Is that the hurricane evacuation route along the interstates for the coast cities?

justsumstuff
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Judy

Postby seeknulfind » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:19:27

justsumstuff wrote:Is that the hurricane evacuation route along the interstates for the coast cities?

Dunno. It follows 301 North towards Philadelphia. Makes no sense to me. Of course on the eastern shore, where exactly would someone go? I'd stay put if possible. Far enough inland to buffer against hurricanes.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Arsenal? Isn't that like playing with fire?

Next Firearm:
Maybe something in a camel hair trigger...

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:22:42

The Evac signs around here all point West, to get people away from the coastline. Since the rural areas are also to the West, any SHTF Evac route would be about the same.

All the more reason to start saving my money for a magic flying carpet. Just in case.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby widefat » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:47:23

Evac routes. Thousands of scared people bent only on self preservation. Enough to make sure you get stuck on an interstate with no food, water, or protection. Short of a nuclear blast, I'll take my living room. Call me when it's over.

"K" = " A person is smart. People are stupid."
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:51:41

You know? Quite a few people forget to check their elevation where they live.

If I have a hurricane/storm bearing down on me, and I'm on the high ground, I'm not leaving, why leave?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby justsumstuff » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:24:22

Funny you should mention Hurricanes. Hurricane season is June 1 - November 30. Plan Now.
http://www.vaemergency.gov/readyvirgini ... hurricanes

justsumstuff
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Judy

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:25:54

I think it's funny that I read that, and NO WHERE did it say "Have a firearm with extra mags/ammo".

I can survive fairly well with the items I have on hand, but to KEEP those items out of looters hands?

Well... I should have to say it.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby zephyp » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 05:44:21

Reverenddel wrote:I think it's funny that I read that, and NO WHERE did it say "Have a firearm with extra mags/ammo".

I can survive fairly well with the items I have on hand, but to KEEP those items out of looters hands?

Well... I should have to say it.

I deal with this peripherally at the federal level...state guidance is all modeled from FEMA...they dont recognize our need to protect ourselves...only their need to CYA so no one can later accuse them that they didnt warn us or give us any information...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:27:39

It's the difference between "Preppers", and "Survivalists" I suppose...

Or as we call "preppers", "Sheeple with viable resources."

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby mamabearCali » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:58:09

It really depends on where you live/the disaster that occurs if you will need to evacuate. My parents live in VA beach about 3 miles as the crow flies from the ocean so in hurricanes they have to leave. However even I would tell them don't go up 64 if you have any choice about it whatsoever--make your way out through suffolk and then along maybe out route 460 to us.

Anyway don't evacuate unless you absolutely must, but if you must avoid the heavy traffic route and get out on smaller roads. FEMA is not going to help you, and in the end you will be on your own (or with relatives). I ould rather be on my own with less people around than more.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby OakRidgeStars » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:09:12

mamabearCali wrote:My parents live in VA beach about 3 miles as the crow flies from the ocean so in hurricanes they have to leave. However even I would tell them don't go up 64 if you have any choice about it whatsoever--make your way out through suffolk and then along maybe out route 460 to us.

The bug out scenario is not good for those of us that live in VB. Ever tried to go from I-264 West from VB to either I-64 or the Norfolk tunnels on a Friday afternoon?. Imagine that times 10.

All it will take is a handful of accidents in key spots, such as Bowers Hill, the I-264 / I-64 interchange, the Norfolk tunnels and I-464 / Rt. 17.

None of us will be going anywhere for a long, long time.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby bryanrheem » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:30:23

I've never tested this for feasibility, but take a mental note of the long running bike trails. In NOVA, there are several that run out west. They are well maintained and wide enough for a vehicle.

In an emergency, they will be a nice alternative to traffic.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby Yarddawg » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 19:33:15

mamabearCali wrote:It really depends on where you live/the disaster that occurs if you will need to evacuate. My parents live in VA beach about 3 miles as the crow flies from the ocean so in hurricanes they have to leave. However even I would tell them don't go up 64 if you have any choice about it whatsoever--make your way out through suffolk and then along maybe out route 460 to us.

Anyway don't evacuate unless you absolutely must, but if you must avoid the heavy traffic route and get out on smaller roads. FEMA is not going to help you, and in the end you will be on your own (or with relatives). I would rather be on my own with less people around than more.

+1

Living on the peninsula I can tell you it is no better over here. Friday afternoons are such a joy to travel on I-64W. It starts backing up around 3:00 and stays that way, it seems, all weekend. No way would I use it in an emergency!
Engage your brain!

Virginia Gun Owners Coalition (VGOC) Member  
Yarddawg
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Yard

My Arsenal:
Just enough to get in trouble with

Postby rod » Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:27:08

IF I had to evacuate, the last route I'd take is one with a sign on it telling everyone else to take that same route. I'm in a pretty good spot but if I bugged out, I'd follow a railroad track to where ever I wanted to go. No cars, direct route to lots of places, tunnels already dug that need tunnels, bridges already built over places that need bridges, not too many other people along the tracks, don't really need a map if I get lost, and lots of other reasons. The only disadvantage (unless you own a train) is that you have to walk.
Life....sexually transmitted and 100% fatal.

rod
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Rod

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic boating accident.

Next Firearm:
something banned in California

Postby OakRidgeStars » Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:30:29

rod wrote:IF I had to evacuate, the last route I'd take is one with a sign on it telling everyone else to take that same route. I'm in a pretty good spot but if I bugged out, I'd follow a railroad track to where ever I wanted to go. No cars, direct route to lots of places, tunnels already dug that need tunnels, bridges already built over places that need bridges, not too many other people along the tracks, don't really need a map if I get lost, and lots of other reasons. The only disadvantage (unless you own a train) is that you have to walk.

Or modify a vehicle with wheels to ride the rails, similar to what the railroad maintenance crews use. Where there's a will there's a way.

Hy-railers: http://tinyurl.com/161

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:42:18

A bicycle, dirtbike, ATV, possibly even a street bike could navigate a railroad track. It would sure suck in the rain, though.
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)