Collapse of Society 4x4

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Collapse of Society 4x4

Postby chfaunce » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:42:02

Pfffft. Collapse of society, Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!

chfaunce
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Craig

My Arsenal:
Remington 870 Express Magnum, Ruger M77 Mark II in .300 Win. Mag., Russian SKS (1955 mfg), Beeman 1000SS .177, Glock 23

Postby OakRidgeStars » Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:30:01

Cool factor = huge

Fuel mileage = not so good

But just think of the zombies you could flatten....

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby irishshootist » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:30:29

I think just about anything from Icon motors will work. They make tricked out Jeep CJ-3s and Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45s. icon4x4.com
Attachments
Icon Mix.JPG
Icon Mix.JPG (58.32 KiB) Viewed 6656 times
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win." - Clint Smith

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

irishshootist
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:53:43

Icon stuff is cool, but they are 6 figure vehicles!
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby CowboyT » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:31:52

I've been thinking about this some more. Given that the situation that gunderwood's talking about is not "total collapse"; it's an Argentina-style collapse, people still doing business, etc., any of these vehicles would probably work just fine. If people are still doing business, as was specified, then that means that people can still get food, water, etc. The roads probably won't be maintained very well, but so what? You oughta see my neighborhood! LOL But people drive Honda Civics all the time on these pothole-ridden roads.

A "SHTF" scenario, to me, means the infrastructure is gone. No food, no water, no electricity, none of that. It means people will be fighting each other over food and water. In that situation, I want a horse, a couple of guns, and plenty of ammo to defend myself with.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:00:08

CowboyT wrote:I've been thinking about this some more. Given that the situation that gunderwood's talking about is not "total collapse"; it's an Argentina-style collapse, people still doing business, etc., any of these vehicles would probably work just fine. If people are still doing business, as was specified, then that means that people can still get food, water, etc. The roads probably won't be maintained very well, but so what? You oughta see my neighborhood! LOL But people drive Honda Civics all the time on these pothole-ridden roads.

A "SHTF" scenario, to me, means the infrastructure is gone. No food, no water, no electricity, none of that. It means people will be fighting each other over food and water. In that situation, I want a horse, a couple of guns, and plenty of ammo to defend myself with.

The original intent of this thread (which immediately went downhill :roll: ) was between those two. In the Argentina case, most of the infrastructure isn't working. They have some gas/diesel, but it is hard to get. Same with food, water, etc. It isn't that those things are impossible to get, but rather that they are so scarce that people fight over them.

The intent was a middle ground where a balance of off road capability, gas mileage, on road capability, long term durability, and ease of fixing that I was asking the question.

Yes, you could get a huge pickup, but if you are getting single digit MPG you won't be going far. On the other hand modern engines/drive-trains are much more efficient, but if they are so complex you can fix something you are up a creek without a paddle. Also, while you need off road capability, you don't want something that can't take a corner above 25MPH without tipping over because you have a 24" lift (/sarcasm alert).

If you had to balance all of these things and pay for the 4x4, what would you buy and why. If you didn't already have one and wanted to get one, but also use it for range trips in the mean time, would that change your choice?

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:05:56

The military versions of the civilian Toyota Land Cruiser, Tacoma and Hilux 4x4s have been used by military forces all over the world, in Asia, South America and the Middle East, for more than 50 years. The types of military that use these machines range from the modern and sophisticated Australian military, to the archaic and now defeated Taliban government of Afghanistan. Originally, I had thought the U.S. military did not currently use military Toyotas, but I have since been corrected. Japan donated a number of Land Cruiser 75s to the U.S. military for the 1st Gulf War effort and they were used in a variety of functions at U.S. military bases all over the world. Apparently, even a Land Cruiser 80 was used by General Norman Schwarzkopf. The Land Cruiser and Hilux is still used extensively today by American and other military
forces in the Middle East. Even the American built Toyota Tacoma was used in combat by American special forces in Afghanistan. Many of these Tacomas were literally purchased off of the showroom floor in the U.S. and pressed into combat service in Afghanistan after minor modifications, still sporting their shiny factory paint jobs and aluminum wheels! Below you'll see pictures of all these mentioned military Toyotas and more.

http://www.brian894x4.com/MILITARYTOYOTAS.html

That is more what I had in mind. Balance/preparing for all levels of potential collapses.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:08:03

I wonder if Toyota offers that gun mount as an option!

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:27:06

Everybody loves a Hummer!

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby chfaunce » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:53:21

OakRidgeStars wrote:
But just think of the zombies you could flatten....

I think this is all that really matters.

chfaunce
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Remington 870 Express Magnum, Ruger M77 Mark II in .300 Win. Mag., Russian SKS (1955 mfg), Beeman 1000SS .177, Glock 23

Postby grumpyMSG » Wed, 22 Sep 2010 23:48:27

So I will stretch it a little bit and go 6X6, yeah it's big, ugly and has horrible paint job, but it has a low tech electrical system, a Cummins diesel, an Allison Automatic, Power Steering and A.C. and can drag most 4X4 anywhere it wants...
Attachments
5 ton.jpg
You just have to ask yourself, is he telling you the truth based on knowledge and experience or spreading internet myths?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby gunderwood » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 05:55:01

grumpyMSG wrote:So I will stretch it a little bit and go 6X6, yeah it's big, ugly and has horrible paint job, but it has a low tech electrical system, a Cummins diesel, an Allison Automatic, Power Steering and A.C. and can drag most 4X4 anywhere it wants...

I saw one of those at Lowes one day. Had to get out and talk to the guys loading it up. They got theirs for a few grand, rebuilt the engine and a couple minor things. Very cool. The only downsides are MPG and the cost of the tires.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:29:06

They are plentiful and cheap around here, as long as you are able to work on it yourself. You can even pickup a matching trailer.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Moonduck » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:28:42

Reverenddel wrote:Have we discounted a simple Jeep Wrangler, or Ford Ranger?

I was thinking with a 4 cylinder diesel, and in 4x4... and not all "Lifted" but with thought planned out... you could be okay with that.. .

Years ago I had an 83 Ford Ranger 4x4 longbed in 4x4. That was one of the most competent 4x4's I've ever driven. I beat the hell out of it, and then gave it to a buddy. He beat it up even more.

While it had a host of weird problems, it never quite quit. He wound up donating it to some charity. Helluva good truck.

--

OakRidgeStars wrote:They are plentiful and cheap around here, as long as you are able to work on it yourself. You can even pickup a matching trailer.

Where are you seeing them? And what is "cheap" in this case?

(Feel free to PM if you don't want to clutter the thread.)

Moonduck
On Target
On Target

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:31:32

There's a guy in P-town that sells these trucks. I guess he bought them locally as surplus. They popup on Hoes-list (I mean Craigslist) from time to time.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby CowboyT » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:09:44

gunderwood wrote:The original intent of this thread (which immediately went downhill :roll: ) was between those two. In the Argentina case, most of the infrastructure isn't working. They have some gas/diesel, but it is hard to get. Same with food, water, etc. It isn't that those things are impossible to get, but rather that they are so scarce that people fight over them.

The intent was a middle ground where a balance of off road capability, gas mileage, on road capability, long term durability, and ease of fixing that I was asking the question.

Yes, you could get a huge pickup, but if you are getting single digit MPG you won't be going far. On the other hand modern engines/drive-trains are much more efficient, but if they are so complex you can fix something you are up a creek without a paddle. Also, while you need off road capability, you don't want something that can't take a corner above 25MPH without tipping over because you have a 24" lift (/sarcasm alert).

If you had to balance all of these things and pay for the 4x4, what would you buy and why. If you didn't already have one and wanted to get one, but also use it for range trips in the mean time, would that change your choice?

Ah, in that case, I'd DEFINITELY go for the old Jeep with the Perkins Diesel. Good gas economy, Jeep 4x4 ability, PTO, easy to fix, and very driveable on regular roadways. That Perkins engine will burn anything from biodiesel to veggie oil and keep on goin'. That fuel flexibility can matter in this kind of situation. No electronicsAnd being a Jeep, it would of course be great for range trips, plus...well, you've got an older Jeep! That right there is cool in and of itself. :-)
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Postby gunderwood » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:24:52

Reverenddel wrote:Have we discounted a simple Jeep Wrangler, or Ford Ranger?

No, but cargo capacity is a consideration. A Wrangler doesn't have much unless there is only two of you (unlikely given the circumstances). I was leaning towards pickups with a real back seat for that reason. Just enough cargo out back to haul rifle cases, supplies and such. The link I provided was the military using the Tacoma in Afghanistan (rising sun equivalent to the Ranger).

The lighter trucks like the Ranger have an advantage when you want to cover off-road ground quickly. Full sized pickups (150, 250, etc) are much heavier and don't seem to be as nimble off-road. This is a concern if you are trying to flee from a bad situation and need to do it off-road. The singular exception to this is the current F150 SVT Raptor. Of course, for big money you can make them work well, but they don't come that way from the factory.

SUVs have the benefit of having your cargo inside and accessible, but a top gunner isn't going to work well (pics I linked too). Getting essential gear out is much slower too.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby chfaunce » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:59:00

Ok, ok, if society ever really does collapse, I'm really gettin' out of here. No screwing around. Hopefully I can find enough roadway to get this bad boy up to speed ;)

chfaunce
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:02:03

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Palladin » Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:37:47

GREAT SCOTT!!!

Man what a ride, Craig! Just don't back off it 'til she flashes and leaves a pair of burning tracks in the roadway... :clap:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

PreviousNext

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)