Bug out bag....... List of contents and advice??

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Bug out bag....... List of contents and advice??

Postby Remek » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 05:19:40

Definitely. I have a mental problem and run all my machinery once per month.

I am totally sold on sta-bil. I used it with an old sailboat cruiser i had on the emergency engine. I had years old gas when i suddenly needed it, and just like for you, it ran like a champ.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Postby dorminWS » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:18:10

Remek wrote:....living alone in the wilderness like a John Wayne movie.

I am of the opinion SHTF will happen, but I also am pretty sure DHS is planning to make sure food and water reach the cities. Just like EBT/WIC, passification will stop their egress before long.

I am also pretty sure DHS will force the power system to operate. So no problems there.

I am also pretty sure the corridors of commerce will be well protected.

What I see happening though is the relocation of everyone who owns a mortgage and loses their job to those empty internment camps (again, no problem for me, but many will be unhappy).

The main problem I see for me is more along the price of food/supplies and the poorer people in the suburban area that borders me coming to take my stocks and things for bartering. Here is where I think prepping should start.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree that it is likely DHS/the feds will at least attempt to do that. My big concern would be that they would cheerfully save the cities at the expense of rural communities - unless we come into "those empty internment camps".
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby dorminWS » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:21:18

Remek wrote:If that's directed at me, thanks, I'll be sure to shoot first.

However, my plans are still better than nebulous to begin with.

When I flip a coin, I make sure there's no tails.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not directed at anybody in particular. It just occurred to me that folks who ain't crazy about "furriners" to begin with probably won't welcome them with open arms when they come to compete for survival. That's all. But I see you got the message. That's good.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby kelu » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:24:11

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Remek » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:37:34

^^^ I'd also suggest that pretty much any marina that supplies gasoline will have ethanol free gas available. You might have to bring a jug with you, but its possible to get it. Boaters are more pissed off at gasohol than anyone.
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:47:10

My food supply chain was checking in with me this morning. LOL

I'm kind of surprised, there is usually more.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby meadmkr » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:05:04

SHMIV wrote:I'm going to have to re-research Sta-bil. Seems I had a reason to distrust that product, but I can't recall why. Where does one find gas without ethinol, these days?

I've used Sta-bin and Pri-G with good results after 1+ year.

I found E-free gas at some of the Liberty Gas stations. The one out on Rt-7 near I-81 had it 2 months ago.
http://pure-gas.org/station?station_id=6265

Which reminds me I need to refill 4 more gas cans before hunting camp opens!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:21:58

As to bug-out bags?

One simply process... test them.

One a quarter...go into the woods for three days... Live off what's in the bag. If you can do so with relative ease? You're ahead of the game.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 26 Dec 2013 21:45:26

Bringing it up...

I have thought about a "Bug-Out-Box" instead of a bag... I can keep a bag handy, but most people aren't gonna START walking... my thoughts?

More gear=more weight... BUT... two backpacks, one box... you can split up some gear. It would allow for easier inspections, and I can pack a bag for camp in less than 15 minutes... I think I can handle a Bug-Out...MUCH faster!

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby SpanishInquisition » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 00:23:04

Define your bug out plan first. That done, then plan your BOB around that plan and a couple of contingencies.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby VACoastie » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 01:16:05

My BOB consists of a pretty big bag, a Terra 65.
http://m.thenorthface.com/mt/www.thenor ... -pack.html
Reason being is I got 3 folks including myself to take care of should I have the need to bug out and one of them being a minor. It carrier 3,950 cubic inches of stuff and is suuuuuper comfortable for what we have. I've got 2 days of clothes, food, cooking supplies, eating supplies, medical supplies, as well as sleeping necessities. My plan come a bad situation isn't to Bug-Out, so if it comes time for that to really happen I've got everything I need to live comfortably in the backwoods should the need arise.

For me, I could sleep on bare ground with a blanket and be happy. I certainly know my kid won't so I'm trying to make it as best for her as I can. If that means carrying an extra 5-10 lbs, so be it.

I won't really go on a item by item of what I've got in there, but basically I've got some canned foods like baked beans, corn, Vienna sausages. Freeze dried mountain house food. Medical supply that has your typical band aid and crap along with sewing stuff that my wife knows how to use. I've got lightweight super compact sleeping bags rated for 20 degrees. I've got clothes that I change out seasonally with room to put in winter clothes still. I've got you're lovely cooking kit and stove just in case I don't have time to make a proper camp & fire. I've got several ready to go traps made of wire as well as fishing supplies. I've got a Katydyn water filter as well as other water purifying stuff. I've also got sever methods of fire starting.

I'm a believer in having multiple ways of doing certain things. Biggest being Fire, Water & Hunting/Gathering. Luckily those don't take up too much room.

In the end, all our BOB's will be different in the end pending where you can bug out to, when you bug out, as well as family situations and particulars. Just make sure you got some extra food, clothes (especially socks), water purifying methods and fire methods. Everything else can be gathered and made pretty easily.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Coast Guard   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
VACoastie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
9MM Beretta PX4 Storm
Marlin60 .22 LR
Remington 1100 12 Gauge
S&W .38 Special

Next Firearm:
AR Platform

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:42:09

Yeah, I concur... Three things I know I'll need to do:

Make a fire, have water, and keep off the ground/out of the wind-rain.

I do those three? i can find food, and move about.

I did upgrade my tent, and sleeping system in the BOB because I was making it my "Going camping in 3 minutes" bag. HAHAH

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 27 Dec 2013 20:42:15

It's funny. When I was a kid, I rode my motorcycle everywhere. Never got a hotel, just slept on the ground in my bed roll/sleeping bag. Being on a bike you have limited space for clothes, food, etc. I would be gone for weeks with what would fit in my backpack.

Today, with my wife and kids, I have come to the conclusion that as much as I want to save them all, they need to carry their weight... literally. I can't carry food water and housing for 4 people. I wouldn't make it to the top of the street.

Not to mention, it's likely my son and I would both have to carry minor tools, rifles and a few hundred rounds of ammo to boot.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 16:03:01

Yep! Hence "BugBox"... I can put that on a cart, and literally pull that around if necessary.

A bag only does ME good!

Those game carts fit a plastic tub EASILY! Have everyone carry their own sleeping bag, clothing, tools they want, and some food...

The tarps, bigger tools, extra food, and water processing can be in the box.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Rumson » Fri, 03 Jan 2014 21:32:17

I plan on shelter in place so my bug out bag is more of a go bag I suppose.. Carry enough food, rain gear/shelter etc for a two day walk to get back home from most places I go.. This is assuming my bag is with me in the car and the car is no longer viable for whatever reason.

Rumson
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rumson

My Arsenal:
Break in and find out.

Previous

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)