Basic winter survival.

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Basic winter survival.

Postby ShortMan » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 20:51:38

Not apocalypse type stuff. Just the bare minimum if you get stuck in the house for extended periods without power, water or gas.
All 3 cars are taken care of, plenty of spare parts, fluids, and emergency kits in each of them. And we are going to keep the S-10 through the winter as its ideal for snow. And VA is predicted to have a horrible winter. In fact thats the whole point of this thread.

We already have all the shovels, boot cleats and stuff we need to normal snow clearing. But if the worst happens and we get stuck, we'll need basic supplied. Guns and knives arent an issue either.

I was thinking what I still need to buy:
- Canned goods, and anything which doesn't expire or need cooking.
- Portable stove with fuel cells. Only for comfort, ideally we'll be using food thats precooked or can safely be eaten raw.
- Water purification. And jugs safe for long term storage.
- Some sort of bathing system that doesn't require water or traditional soap. We had some of those pre-moistened watch clothes, but they went bad in 2 months or so, even though they were sealed up.
- Sheep skins for serious warmth, if you guys think thats a good idea.

We've already got tons of candles, matches, lighters, lights, and spare batteries (rechargeable and regular). We have more than enough blankets, long underwear, heavy socks, pajamas, and thick robes. I dont think freezing will be an issue.
We've got all the first aid stuff we need, plenty of books for boredom. Maybe we could include some morale items though. What do you think?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Short

Re: Basic winter survival.

Postby VACoastie » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 21:00:10

Morale gear is always a necessity. Heck, I put it in with my "basic essentials." Not having a sound mind makes bad mistakes happen and being able to put your mind off of being bored is a boost. It could be as simple as 10 ft. of cord/line and practicing knots, a deck of cards (multiple games in one), or if you're gonna be at home - board games. I remember when I was little I think it was a blizzard in 93 that came through? Anywho, a kerosene heater that we cooked hotdogs/soups on, monopoly, and flashlights made it a lot less worse than it was being without power for 5 days in literally freezing conditions around the house. A nice wood burning fireplace, pulling the bed mattress to the middle of the living room. Heck, it was actually fun - for me as a kid at least haha.

Then I had to go outside and help shovel all that snow :mad:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Coast Guard   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
VACoastie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
9MM Beretta PX4 Storm
Marlin60 .22 LR
Remington 1100 12 Gauge
S&W .38 Special

Next Firearm:
AR Platform

Postby ShortMan » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 21:34:45

Well, we already have most of that stuff. I could go to ToysRus and get some of those little pocket games too. Maybe we should also have candy. Chocolate would be good for energy. Sweets in general would be fine for morale.
OH CRAP! I forgot the hot cocoa. We only got one little box of the swiss miss. Will need to get some of those big canisters.

ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby mamabearCali » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 17:26:07

Good thing to think on man......going to hit up the thrift stores for wool blankets....put them on top of a fleece and then you are warm and not itchy. We don't have a wood fireplace...so I think a kerosene heater is in order. May stink to high heaven, but hey better than freezing to death. More candy bars.......gotta have easy to use food.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 17:31:43

Be careful with kerosene heaters indoors.

http://nasdonline.org/document/1301/d00 ... afety.html

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby mamabearCali » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 18:11:48

So what do you suggest? We don't have a wood fireplace. We need to find an alternative source of heat. I am all ears.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby ShortMan » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 18:51:46

I have a swiss wool blanket my dad sent me when I was in the Navy. Has my name and last 4 embroidered on it. Much nicer than standard issue wool blankets. I now keep it in the emergency kit in the car. Actually, by volume it pretty much IS the emergency kit.
You can pick them up at Army surplus stores dirt cheap. They are sturdy enough to also be used as emergency stretchers if you can figure out a way to hold them.

For heat I was thinking proper emergency 100 hour candles in addition to all the tea lights and glass jar candles we already have.

For cooking I recommend one of those little folding stoves with the solid fuel.
http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Camping-S ... B000Y9EZMQ

You could also get a huge box of pocket warmers but in dire situations I doubt they would save you from hypothermia. Maybe a larger emergency stove and put it inside your house stove to contain the flames & heat.
http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory-Larg ... B002O14BI0

Actually you would need several boxes. I'm thinking maybe its best to just move some of your camping gear indoors if you arent planning to camp this winter. It might seem silly, but setting up the tent in your living room and sleeping in bags would probably keep you very warm.

ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 19:11:54

mamabearCali wrote:So what do you suggest? We don't have a wood fireplace. We need to find an alternative source of heat. I am all ears.

Nothing wrong with kerosene heaters as long as the proper safety procedures are used. Any time you are burning a fuel indoors there is a risk of asphyxiation and/or carbon monoxide poisoning. The article I linked to has good information for anyone who might need to use kerosene heaters indoors.

I think you will agree that safety is just as important as staying warm.

http://nasdonline.org/document/1301/d00 ... afety.html

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby mamabearCali » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 22:00:17

Of course...the point is to live not merely die warm.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby kelu » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 14:14:03

mama bear, look at this http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000 ... ane+heater (inside rated propane heater) and use the amazon link on the right to support the forum.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 18:25:40

nice I will show my DH that.

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby VACoastie » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 20:45:48

DH? Damn Headache? A.K.A Husband?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Coast Guard   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
VACoastie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
9MM Beretta PX4 Storm
Marlin60 .22 LR
Remington 1100 12 Gauge
S&W .38 Special

Next Firearm:
AR Platform

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 21:26:06

Dear husband.....but you are funny....no he is a very good husband .

I had one person think I called him a d1ck head......of course not, but that are the usual initials one uses to lovingly refers to ones male spouse.

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Palladin » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 21:48:36

Funny stuff!...

Working outside in the winter, I found the best place for a handwarmer was in the pocket of my pocket Tee shirt. Cover that with your standard winter garb and keep your head covered, and your'e good to go.

Might not work as well for the ladies, maybe sew a warmer pocket in under the left armpit...
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 23:22:56

When my husband was reading over my shoulder he could not figure out if I meant Double Header or Designated Hitter........he is an umpire for college teams

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)