Bad Storms coming... Be prepared.

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Re: Bad Storms coming... Be prepared.

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:24:11

As mentioned above, a sign of things to come for a society that has become so dependent on gas, grocery stores, government and the electricity. Instead of neighbors helping neighbors, it's go against your neighbor to get the last 5 gallons of gas.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/01/te ... ake-sandy/
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby mamabearCali » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 19:23:12

I'd love to have that security.....my grandparents are in TX, the family land is there too. A consequence of modern society. I am hopeful that in. Few years we can buy some acreage out in Amelia, Powhatan, or even Cumberland so that our kids have a chane at that sort of security.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 19:52:34

mamabearCali wrote:I'd love to have that security.....my grandparents are in TX, the family land is there too. A consequence of modern society. I am hopeful that in. Few years we can buy some acreage out in Amelia, Powhatan, or even Cumberland so that our kids have a chane at that sort of security.

We're in the same boat with regards to family. All extended family is scattered throughout the US.

We have the acreage now, but I'm not real surprised that our teens are completely uninterested in our endeavor to learn this aspect of living. They are far more interested in PS3, Harry Potter and texting. All great things, but they are fixated.

That and the damned microwave....
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby mamabearCali » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 21:18:36

Turn off the power for a weekend and suddenly everything will become real clear for them.

I am a big fan of Harry potter, and I love my iPad. However you gotta see real life too.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 21:43:34

mamabearCali wrote:Turn off the power for a weekend and suddenly everything will become real clear for them.

I am a big fan of Harry potter, and I love my iPad. However you gotta see real life too.

We have actually done that!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby VACoastie » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 22:20:34

Hm... Turning off the power... I'll have to do that for my lil one too, never quite thought of doing that one. Would be fun too with busting out the board games.

I understand not everyone can have woodland acreage, or be at the pleasantry of living there (me being one) but I am glad to see at least people preparing or having ready planned that contingency. The one thing I'm sure AT LEAST 50% of the NYC/NJ City Slickers don't know how to do is live off the land, they'd be screwed either way.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Coast Guard   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
VACoastie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
9MM Beretta PX4 Storm
Marlin60 .22 LR
Remington 1100 12 Gauge
S&W .38 Special

Next Firearm:
AR Platform

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 00:22:49

I am still learning and we are trying to plant things in our yard that will help us with that. Poor New Yorkers I always knew that if in a situation like that you must above all GET OUT! Go...don't stay in the city...even the suburbs are better than the city.

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 09:48:40

Rev,
I posted somewhere recently about the fact that in my part of the world many people are still into preserving their own food for the winter; and it got me to thinking about home-canned meats and vegetables and the issue of prepping. Glass is an impervious container with a long shelf life that can easily be sealed in the home, but it is fragile. When you’re talking about storing water, the plastic jugs most of it comes in are actually gas-permeable over a period of months, and the package will fail before properly sanitized water inside of it will go bad. So I’ve thought (idly) that the one problem about a prepper canning up a lot of food is that it would be so easily lost to breakage if it became necessary to bug out.

And then it occurred to me that one might dip the jars in some of that stuff you can buy to dip plier handles in and plastic-coat them; which would make the glass containers a lot more resilient. And THEN I remembered the Mythbusters episode where the dynamic duo BOMB-Proofed a cinder block wall by coating both sides of it with that paint-on pickup bed liner goop.

Just food for thought.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:07:22

Yep! Read my mind Dorm! You can get insulated container holders that are cheap cooler material that fits a dozen 1 quart mason jars with a top... Keeps things from FREEZING and breaking as well!

Trust me, I'm a Lotto Jackpot away from acreage... a simple fortre...er... home with a basement... and buying every book on living off the grid...

I'm getting old, but I ain't going gentle into that good night. I've seen 80+ year old mountain folk still cutting their own firewood, and working their plots...

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:34:12

My great grandfather kept his garden and mowed his own lawn until 6 months before he passed.

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:48:44

He was 96 when he passed.

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:35:48

Reverenddel wrote:
You can get insulated container holders that are cheap cooler material that fits a dozen 1 quart mason jars with a top... Keeps things from FREEZING and breaking as well!

Where? I never heard of any sich thang.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:49:30

dorminWS wrote:And then it occurred to me that one might dip the jars in some of that stuff you can buy to dip plier handles in and plastic-coat them; which would make the glass containers a lot more resilient. And THEN I remembered the Mythbusters episode where the dynamic duo BOMB-Proofed a cinder block wall by coating both sides of it with that paint-on pickup bed liner goop.

Truck bed liner is awesome stuff.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Bran ... QgodsCgA6A

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby Kreutz » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 11:58:03

MNMGoneShooting wrote:As mentioned above, a sign of things to come for a society that has become so dependent on gas, grocery stores, government and the electricity. Instead of neighbors helping neighbors, it's go against your neighbor to get the last 5 gallons of gas.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/01/te ... ake-sandy/

The stunning irony is few of them have jobs to go since power is still largely out, why do they need gasoline in their cars so badly?

My people back on LI/Queens say things are pretty bad, sucks for them.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby mamabearCali » Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:13:57

My in,was are ok for the moment o n Long Island, but it is worrisome. Knew it would be like this in any really bad situation in NYC, but did not really expect to see it in my lifetime.....wishful thinking

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Reverenddel » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:55:50

Dorm, trying to find you the container site.

It's REAL use is a scientific container holder for transport... saw them in the UoR, or VCU lab, and made a comment that "moonshiners would give their sunday best for a couple of those to prevent breakage".

Still searching.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Previous

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)