Anyone heard of The Bug Out Box?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Anyone heard of The Bug Out Box?

Postby jcgorla » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:52:59

Greetings all,

I'm a fairly new member of the VGOF, having been plowing through most of the discussions in this discussion area as well as the others. I do enjoy the great sharing of information with fellow Virginians.

I came across this ad on FaceBook today, wondered if anyone on the boards here has seen this yet.

http://www.bugoutbox.co

Looks like it is an interesting way to get started on prepping. I for one need to start putting something together to keep in my office. Presently live in Woodbridge, but work in Crystal City. What are the typical things to consider for someone building a get home kit? Thanks!

John

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
jcgorla
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: John

My Arsenal:
Beretta PX4 Compact
Beretta TX4 12 Ga
Ruger Mini-14

Next Firearm:
Beretta CX4 or AR-15

Re: Anyone heard of The Bug Out Box?

Postby RWBlue01 » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 01:10:38

I prefer my Bug Out Bag.

1. Build a Risk Matrix. Decide what your SHTFs are. Decide probability for each SHTF. Decide bug in vs. bug out for each SHTF.
2. Then work on the high probability items. Make a plan. Decides what you have and what you need.
3. Now you are ready to make a BOB.

What is in your BOB? It depends.

Your BOB may be almost nothing. Because it is really only needed to get you to your next spot.
OR
You bag could be everything you need to survive for a LONG time because your next stop is a long way away.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:33:04

For $20/month you can get your own gear and brands that you like.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:02:17

SB is correct, it cost LESS for you to buy a piece of gear, test it, and say "Yes, I need that", and add it to a BOB...

I need to pair DOWN my BOB! I just need to get to 72 hour period, instead of "I might need this!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:21:22

I thought the concept was pretty interesting, but some of you here are not the target audience. This is geared towards people who likely would do nothing without something like this. Consider this like an entry drug.

Everyone gets the same first kit, but then each month after that you fall inline with whatever they're offering. It's going to take a while to get a fully functioning kit and you'll likely get some things that aren't of use to you (more like limited use depending on your circumstances). Even the stuff that doesn't fit your circumstances should be interesting to play with. Since everyone falls on the same schedule, they may get some bulk discounts. However, I would expect shipping to eat most or all of those cost savings away. Realistically you are getting a $10 item, $5 S&H, and $5 profit/educational materials. Not the best bang for the dollar, but much better than doing nothing. I'd consider getting people started on something like this (say for a year) and if they like it then they will branch out on their own.

I view this as a way to start and educate, not as a way to build your preparations because I expect you to use most of the stuff they send you learning how to actually use it well. You'll probably end up going out and buying more of similar things to experiment with.

These guys should pay me...I think I just created a better business case (at least explained it better) then they did. Any preppers interested in starting a business? Gotta market the idea better.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:02:19

Reverenddel wrote:SB is correct, it cost LESS for you to buy a piece of gear, test it, and say "Yes, I need that", and add it to a BOB...

I need to pair DOWN my BOB! I just need to get to 72 hour period, instead of "I might need this!"

Wait... so your BOB isn't supposed to look like this? Dammit.

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby ShotgunBlast » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:06:29

gunderwood wrote:I thought the concept was pretty interesting, but some of you here are not the target audience. This is geared towards people who likely would do nothing without something like this. Consider this like an entry drug.

Everyone gets the same first kit, but then each month after that you fall inline with whatever they're offering. It's going to take a while to get a fully functioning kit and you'll likely get some things that aren't of use to you (more like limited use depending on your circumstances). Even the stuff that doesn't fit your circumstances should be interesting to play with. Since everyone falls on the same schedule, they may get some bulk discounts. However, I would expect shipping to eat most or all of those cost savings away. Realistically you are getting a $10 item, $5 S&H, and $5 profit/educational materials. Not the best bang for the dollar, but much better than doing nothing. I'd consider getting people started on something like this (say for a year) and if they like it then they will branch out on their own.

I agree that there are some benefits to the "this is better than nothing" hands off approach, and that works for a variety of subjects, but I would think for prepping or bug out bags most people interested in that sort of thing wouldn't be taking a hands off approach.

gunderwood wrote:I view this as a way to start and educate, not as a way to build your preparations because I expect you to use most of the stuff they send you learning how to actually use it well. You'll probably end up going out and buying more of similar things to experiment with.

These guys should pay me...I think I just created a better business case (at least explained it better) then they did. Any preppers interested in starting a business? Gotta market the idea better.

I've always found in any industry the newbies tend to be some of your best and most profitable customers. This company could really boom if they explained what they do as good as you did. :hysterical:

ShotgunBlast
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:42:31

ShotgunBlast wrote:I agree that there are some benefits to the "this is better than nothing" hands off approach, and that works for a variety of subjects, but I would think for prepping or bug out bags most people interested in that sort of thing wouldn't be taking a hands off approach.

Agreed. It's hardly ideal because you need hands on experience with the components in order to effectively use them in a crisis. However, jumping from all services are provided to making alternative arrangements sometimes takes a bit of a kick. When you don't know much or anything, it's appealing to pay your monies and get a jump start guide. There are lots of industries just like that; undergraduate work is basically that, you pay them because you wouldn't study the subject otherwise. Sort of a McGregor X theory.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby jcgorla » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:15:40

Just for reference you do pay shipping on top of the monthly $19.99. I think it's about $27 with shipping added.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
jcgorla
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Beretta PX4 Compact
Beretta TX4 12 Ga
Ruger Mini-14

Next Firearm:
Beretta CX4 or AR-15

Postby meadmkr » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 22:10:09

With regard to BOBs I fell into the common trap of focusing on bugging out rather than making sure we have enough of water/food/etc to shelter in place. The more I read and in assessing our needs/situation the more I plan to bug in. That isn't to say that we wouldn't use our cabin as a BOL but it has only 800 sq' but it is on 20 acres.

That said I have two sets of 'bags' I have prepared for different circumstances...

#1 is th GHB - get home bags which stays in the car and is updated seasonally to help me get home
(our bug in location) I remember more than a few commutes due to weather or the events on 9-11 where it took hours to get home. The GHB has some of the essential gear to make it a little easier to get home if the SHTF.

#2 is our BOBs - or bug-out-bags. We don't intend to bug out except as a last resort but rather see these for emergencies where we'd have do abandon the house even temporarily such as a fire or gas leak. They have the basic things we'd need for a few days. However the bags do have the fundamental gear that will make our lives easier on the way to the BOL.

Some folks go a third step further and have an INCH bag (I'm Not Coming Home) bag. I see that as a final last resort and in that scenerio we'd likely have already bugged out most of our stuff to the cabin in WV.

Each person's or families needs are different. For example we have 3 BOBs with the 3rd being our adult daughter. Hers is built with her needs with some personalized touches and focus on helping HER get to US. The wife's and mine are built to complement each other with the minimum gear to get us to our cabin or in the event of a fire, etc. There are tons of lists for the 'ultimate BOB' but they are good things to 'consider' and weight the cost in your needs, weight and budget.

Cheers,
Chris
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby Swampman » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 22:27:07

Ya know, I've been thinking recently about things I might need in an emergency. What kind of emergency? Who the heck knows! I think the kind of emergency I'd need a stash of supplies for would be riots or some other situation that resulted from endangerment by others. I'm already out in the semi-boonies, only about 20 miles east of WV. Got an idea where my BOL is, but I guess I should clarify and nail it down. The next step would be to plan the retreat to the BOL. Yeah, I need to start planning. :packin:
Progressives/Liberals - Promoting tyranny and a defenseless people since 1913.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Swampman
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jim

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 13:34:00

The best part of planning any kind of emergency gear, is thinking of the scenarios you see regularly, then the extremes, then the not-likely-to-occur, and then the "RedDawn"....

If you plan that route, most of it overlaps, but it does give you an advantage when something DOES come along.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby tommy610 » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:14:34

This kind of thing does not lend itself to a monthly subscription. I don't get why they set it up that way, except for the fact that they have a steady stream of cash coming in.

It's not like there are new ideas and products being invented every month, and you need to keep up on it and have the latest. Even for people who don't know where to start... why wouldn't you just offer a BOB that has 12 months of stuff in it, all at once. I don't get it.

tommy610
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
S&W 641, Walther P22

Postby dorminWS » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 15:49:41

The notion that you can buy a subscription for a monthly magic box to allow you to survive when the SHTF is pretty foreign to me. It seems to me that if you can’t work that out for yourself then the chances are a damn sight less than slim that you can buy survival out of a box. But then I’m country folks from the mountains, and it is in our nature to be self reliant because we’ve had no choice. So maybe I’m just limited by my background.

Living as we do out here in a remote area anyway, I have worried little if at all about bugging out and have tended to think (to the extent I’ve thought about it at all) about 2 things: (1) Bugging in, as y’all call it; i.e, hunkering down and staying home – and having what is needed to keep body and soul together and (2) Having a capability to go get my son & his wife in Charleston, SC and my daughter and her husband and kids in Raleigh, NC (two places that, while pleasant enough in normal times, would be absolute deathtraps as I see it if the SHTF) and bring them and theirs back home where there is a much better chance to survive. I figure that key to that would be to outfit my Chevy Silverado with 1 or even 2 of those aluminum checker-plate fuel tanks that sit across the bed of a pickup behind the cab and the ability to pump from them to other vehicles. That would allow one to carry round-trip fuel for several vehicles. I guess the plan would be to gather up the son who lives here and his son, load enough ordinance to defend the expedition, and make the round trip. I think we could all maximize our chances of weathering any SHTF occurrences here in the bosom of these mountains that spawned us. Here is where I have accumulated a lifetime’s worth of friends, connections, local knowledge, assets, and to some small degree, standing in the community. And here is a place from where there is no place to go further into the boondocks; if you go in any direction from here, you start getting out again. When the rest of you run out of anyplace else to which to run, I will be waiting here to greet you. If you show up prepared to do right and make a contribution, we’uns might even admit you.
:whistle:
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby jasonallen127 » Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:34:30

Don't give those folks $28 a month. For under $150 (likely significantly less as you probably have most everything you need already) you can put together a good 72-hour kit to keep in your car or at home, and a get-home bag (GHB) to get you from your office to your home.

Here are a pair of good, layman's terms "What do I need?" lists for "bugging out" or "bugging in":
http://artofmanliness.com/2011/03/07/ho ... vival-kit/
http://artofmanliness.com/2012/11/01/ho ... -disaster/

As far as a get home bag goes? Here's what I keep in mine:
-Food. I keep enough food for 24 hours worth of eating. MREs are compact, lightweight, high calorie, and you can eat them outta the bag, so I keep two in my GHB.
-Water. I have a 32oz Nalgene bottle that I fill up at the water cooler and use around the office, and I keep 4x 20oz sealed bottles of water in my GHB.
-Gerber Multi-tool w/ knife, small hammer/pry bar combo tool, compact roll of duct tape, 50' of paracord, some carabiners. You never know if you'll need to lift something up, lower something down, fix something, tape something, or break something in an emergency.
-Bandana. A good headband if it's hot, scarf if it's cold, bandage if you're bleeding, or makeshift carrying pouch for extra stuff.
-Comfortable footwear. An old pair of sneakers beats the hell out of walking home in your office shoes. Snowboots/workboots are also good to keep around as seasonally appropriate for the winter.
-Spare clothes and extra layers. Jeans and an old t-shirt or hoodie is way more comfortable than a suit if you have to hoof it home.
-Umbrella or poncho
-Basic first aid kit. You don't have to be prepared to do amputations, but bandaids, gauze, antiseptic, alcohol wipes, some useful over-the-counter meds, tweezers, and some medical tape would be good.
-Flashlight, dust mask, pepperspray (or other non-lethal option) in a readily accessible pouch. Flashlights are always handy when the power goes out in a large office building - more light is always good! A dust mask will help you keep concrete dust out of your lungs in the event of a building collapse or fire. Pepperspray is a quite useful deterrent against multiple aggressors in a riot situation (spray and pray!).
-Self defense firearm + ammunition. (I have an office that's OK with this - if yours isn't OK with firearms in the workplace, assuming you commute by car, your car's trunk is a good place for this)
-Spare batteries, battery powered cell phone charger, and handheld HAM radio (Baofeng UV-5Ra 2m/70cm handset)

I keep a spare sleeping bag in the trunk of my car, too.

You can get a tacticool-looking bag like the Maxpedition Versipack, or you can throw it all into a nondescript bookbag that you can keep under your desk without looking like the office apocalypse prepper.

My get home bag came in handy a few winters ago when we had that freak snowstorm here in DC. I got caught up in commutergeddon downtown - it took me 15 hours to get out of DC back to Alexandria, and by then, there was enough snow and ice on the road that I couldn't get to my apartment. I slept at my office, which had no power at the time, but I was pretty comfortable thanks to the spare clothes, sleeping bag, MREs, bottled water, and flashlight...

Remember - for a Get Home Bag, you don't need to prepare for the zombie apocalypse (that's what your 72 hour kit is for)... just be ready for day-to-day situations that will cause you to be away from better resources and comfort for 24 hours (like weathering a freak snowstorm at the office), with the ability to react to an urban disaster (like a building collapse), or the ability to defend yourself in an urban disorder situation (like a protest out of control/riot).

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
jasonallen127
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jason

My Arsenal:
.357 Mag
12 Gauge

Next Firearm:
Reducing what I have.

Postby sweetmk22 » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:03:10

Looks like the company bugged out, if you try to order, the bug-out-box is

"Out Of Stock" :confused:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
sweetmk22
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
10/22

Next Firearm:
A SweetMK22 Ruger Pistol

Postby BertMacklin » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:35:16

"◾Increase your chance of surviving the wilderness, urban riots, or the zombie Apocalypse."
Sounds like a company one shouldn't take too seriously, and if you do I have some snake oil you might be interested in.

BertMacklin
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Glock 22 Gen. 3
Rem. 597
T/C Venture 30-06
H&R Topper 20

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:52:06

Yup!

The crazy thing? I decided as opposed to paring down? Get a better bag. I had an old Large ALICE Pack with frame... Added the BOB stuff, took out the "cheapo" stuff, putting together as if it's an "overnight camp" bag...

That way? I have everything I would need, plus extra, the weight isn't but 4 lbs more, with a decent amount of room.

I'm sure I could go smaller, but in truth? I don't want too.

I read "Build The Perfect Bug Out Bag" by Creek Stewart. Modified some of his ideas, but came away saying "Screw it, the Large Alice doesn't take up any real space more than the medium, and I like having a frame.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby BertMacklin » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 22:48:16

Reverenddel wrote:Yup!

The crazy thing? I decided as opposed to paring down? Get a better bag. I had an old Large ALICE Pack with frame... Added the BOB stuff, took out the "cheapo" stuff, putting together as if it's an "overnight camp" bag...

That way? I have everything I would need, plus extra, the weight isn't but 4 lbs more, with a decent amount of room.

I'm sure I could go smaller, but in truth? I don't want too.

I read "Build The Perfect Bug Out Bag" by Creek Stewart. Modified some of his ideas, but came away saying "Screw it, the Large Alice doesn't take up any real space more than the medium, and I like having a frame.

I got boxes, plastic and steel, and a few loose bags. Ideally one would move as much as possible by car, rifles, rice and such, so if I can drive to safety I'll have more than 3 days worth of living. However, should a breakdown, traffic or other issue arise I take a fraction of each box for the bag, as time permit. The point being its great to have a way to get home from work but weight alone isn't the issue, particularly if you are driving to no where. Otherwise, I'll be alone in West-Virginia hills with 2ish days worth of food, eating stray cats. If you are far enough West from society it may preferable to waddle in to the trees with as much as one can carry. If I were back next to I 95 mobility would be a larger factor. Big can be good as long as you can shoulder it.

BertMacklin
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Glock 22 Gen. 3
Rem. 597
T/C Venture 30-06
H&R Topper 20

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:51:59

One debate that we've gotten into over BOB's. Weight vs Size.

Most of the gear in my BOB is LIGHT, but BULKY (IE: Tents, Sleeping bag, tarps) Nothing HEAVY, but takes up space.

One of the guys I know carries a standard backpack, but he's got so many tools, and ammo, etc, etc. Thing weighs TWICE what mine weighs!

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Next

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)