Anyone been to the LDS warehouse in MD or VA?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Anyone been to the LDS warehouse in MD or VA?

Postby meadmkr » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 07:41:28

I've seen on another forum that non-LDS members can buy bulk-packed items from the regional LDS warehouses or canning centers. Does anybody here have experience with either the MD or VA locations?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Re: Anyone been to the LDS warehouse in MD or VA?

Postby SpanishInquisition » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 19:33:23

Trub be known, I have no info to share, but given your name I must at yeast pitch an answer of some kind your way.
...and yes, I know this is probably the wort brewing pun ever made.

( I mostly do melomels myself.)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 20:06:30

My Google searches yielded some information on Mormon LDS cannery locations in Virginia

http://www.yellowpages.com/norfolk-va/lds-cannery

http://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage

http://www.pickyourown.org/canneries.htm - Scroll down to 'Virginia'

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby Reverenddel » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 22:45:59

Or just as an LDS member.

Of ALL the churches I have members coming from, the LDS's church seems to be fairly friendly, and rather resourceful.

As I have told them before, "if it weren't for that caffeine, alcohol, and fornication thing? I'd be there with you." HAHAHA

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby SpanishInquisition » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 22:49:36

Reverenddel wrote:As I have told them before, "if it weren't for that caffeine, alcohol, and fornication thing? I'd be there with you." HAHAHA

...and I'll wager they''re good natured enough to have laughed along with ya. :)

SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 14:15:52

The ones I work with love having me in their "circle of trust". You'd be surprised how rude folks are to LDS... with no reason.

If you substituted a race for "LDS" in some of their comments, they'd be fired.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby meadmkr » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 11:31:59

@rev - I wholeheartedly agree.... I'm not much for organized religion (raised Catholic and then Methodist) and while I don't subscribe to their belief system I have more and more respect for many of their core values such as personal responsibility and accountability. The fact that they are 'preppers' by nature/design just reinforces things. Looking at some of the discussion boards on the WaPo (ComPost) bad-mouthing preppers irks me to no end. If SHTF does happen I hope they recall (unlikely) some of the drivel they posted about people taking common sense measures to provide for themselvers and their family(ies).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby RWBlue01 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 01:19:06

I know nothing about the warehouse, but....

A long long time ago I was invited to play basketball on the local Mormon team. Now you have to understand, I am not good. I am a white guy who really can't jump. So...They are nice, but I am not sure how smart. :friends:

I also talk to several on another forum. Their religious views are not mine, but I agree with them on their preps.

You know the panic on guns and ammo now....imagine if it was food and water ....necessities.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby ss313 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 01:46:52

I have a friend at work that is encouraging me to go with him later this month. He is not a member but says that they are very receptive to outsiders coming in and participating. I believe that they expect you to participate in a prayer in the morning before everything gets started but otherwise you do the work and purchase the products. And from what i understand they provide the product and you and your group do the packaging.

On another note in the same vein, another fellow that I work with is a Mormon and other than his lack of availability on Sundays and his level of preparedness you wouldn't know his religious belief was any different from a devout christian in everyday life. But this guy has tons of food, MRE's, 3 generators, ammo, weapons, and a network of friends and family that ensures that he will be ok in anything less than the worst SHTF situations.

ss313
On Target
On Target

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
Fell off of the 4-wheeler in a mudhole and I couldn't find them.

Next Firearm:
anything

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 10:18:53

Don't forget the canneries!

They have large "canning parties" when the gardens come in...

Swear, I'm not repeating myself, but it weren't for the liquor, women, and coffee restrictions? I'd be in like Flynn.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby C40Pilot » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 22:33:38

I can tell you that I've been to the LDS cannery just off the beltway in MD.

The canneries have several purposes. First they exist to help members of our church in need. They can visit the "store" portion of the cannery with authorization from their local bishop to pickup some groceries to help until the next pay check arrives. Members in need first meet with their local bishop, discuss their family and food concerns and they fill out an order form of foods they can pickup for no price at the store. But ideally, those members are asked to help serve in return for the food.

The cannery portion of the warehouse is just that. I have been there to prepare canned goods for storage. There is a substantial canning system there and the cans are placed into boxes and stored or distributed as needed. The night I was there we were canning tomatoes.

This cannery is part of our belief that we should be self sufficient. This cannery allows those in need a chance to pick up some essentials to last a week or two and also provides many of us a chance to serve our fellow man.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
C40Pilot
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Tim

My Arsenal:
Nothing to see here...

Postby SeasonedRookie » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 00:20:18

I was raised by Mormon parents. I am not myself, I don't drink because I AM an alcoholic. A damn sober one too. It irks me to no end that they are of the only religion that it is still politicaly correct to insult and belittle based strictly on their beliefs and that those beliefs are by and large made up by highly misinformed people. When I was younger it was embarassing to even admit that my family was Mormon. As I get older I find myself in heated arguments defending them. Also, they are all individuals, not to be lumped together as a single entity of mindless drones. It's comforting to come to a forum and hear so many of you with so little bias. All my lefty friends give me crap for being an outspoken gun owner, another group of people misunderstood and not seen as individuals. Despite all their crap, I can't tell you how many times those same friends have asked me "do you have your gun on you?" I used to say yes but now I usually say "no! I didn't think you would approve!" with a very worried look on my face. Ha Ha. The answer is always yes dummies. I'm also an artist and I vote how I vote, I don't really affiliate with any political party. But being an artist most of my friends are...not gun owners as gun owners as gun owners are what's wrong with the world. Until they feel unsafe...then they want to hear " why yes guys, yes I do, along with a whole bunch of evil high capacity magazines!" Sorry, just a rant from an artist/ gun owner. Glad to be on your forum. You "gun guys" aren't so bad after all...sorry I don't lol. Except that one.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SeasonedRookie
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
CZ P01-CTC Laser grips, Meprolight Tru Dot night sights, Steve Bedair Custom stainless guide rod, 13#mainspring, extended firing pin, trigger job by Peter Dunn(WA State) former engineer and head gunsmith for Detonics, flush fit PCR mags, flat mainspring plug,...that's all that survived the divorce (and my Grandfather's S&W .357 magnum that lives in a safe)

Postby dorminWS » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:03:39

I didn't know the Mormons had a network of canneries. That's impressive, really; a religion that helps its followers to be self-sufficient and is charitable but judicious in its charity. It confirms my existing impression of Mormons. I've known a few; and they have all seemed to me to be clean-living, mild-mannered, principled, reasonable and definitely Christian folks. I'm not well-acquianted with the details of the way they observe their faith; but I'm dead certain they are not as "out there" as some of the fundamentalist congregations that are to be found up in some of these "hollers" in the central Appalachians. That may be what has led me long since to the attitude that I should not presume to be judgmental about another person's faith as long as it doesn't interfere with my life the way I want to live it.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Reverenddel » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:38:52

SR, glad to have you.

Dorm, YEP! I have found that Mormons/LDS folk are extremely self-sufficient, and follow their religious methodology that ALL their members have a minimum of 1 years food for their family, and know how to defend themselves.

I'm familiar with the cannery organization because on occasion I have gotten a spare can of peaches, or tomatoes, when I have delivered some excess from my families garden...

Good folk, I may not pray their way, but I would love to call them "neighbor".

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby RWBlue01 » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:23:41

SeasonedRookie wrote: It irks me to no end that they are of the only religion that it is still politicaly correct to insult and belittle based strictly on their beliefs and that those beliefs are by and large made up by highly misinformed people.

First let me say I am agnostic at this point, but I have great respect for those that believe in something and are better people because of it.

If you look around, you will find that other religions are insulted also. The Christians feel everything is against them. Look back to our first Catholic president, now there was an interesting time. The Muslims are planning a march on Sept. 11 because everyone is against them (BTW, IF they do this, they may be correct). The Jews claim to be persecuted for 4000 years.

To an aspect they are all correct. But....you can not insult jews in the media, there are too many of them there. You can not insult the muslems in politics, there are too many votes there. You can disrespect the christians in politics because there are too many votes there.

I assume what you saw as an insult with the recent election came out of the liberal democratic media, they would lie cheat and steal to keep any republican out of office. They just used the Mormon card this time.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)