Any packet radio people out there?

Discuss survival and preparedness strategies. What will you do when the zombies come to get us?

Any packet radio people out there?

Postby SpanishInquisition » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:13:15

Just curious.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Re: Any packet radio people out there?

Postby VACoastie » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:12:05

Not a packet radio user/tech, however my rate revolves around a lot of Radio Communications and the likes. Work with VHF/HF/UHF comms, Modulations, Propagation, All that "fun" stuff.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Coast Guard   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
VACoastie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
9MM Beretta PX4 Storm
Marlin60 .22 LR
Remington 1100 12 Gauge
S&W .38 Special

Next Firearm:
AR Platform

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 12:45:05

I use wireless internet at home. :roll:

hihi

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Rualert » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:01:53

I keep my license up to date and renew as needed. Ii used to have a packet setup for my 2 meter, and 440 units, but that has been lost in the shuffle of several moves. I have sen simple software based packet modulation that only required the use of a couple of mini headphone type cables from the headphone, and mike connections on a laptop to a hand held. I will need to look into that again, and gather the required pieces. Also want to look into some solar recharging panels, and small battery bank setup for the bug out property. Always nice to have Ham radio, and the potential for packet comms when needed. On another note, and not trying to thread jack, I have been looking pretty hard at used RV equipment, like the furnace, and fridge. Those are easy enough to find at any RV junk yard, one can even get their hands on hot water tanks. These items all work on 12v DC, or LP/Propane gas. Big plus is most are very quiet due to rules at most camp sites for quite time. My thoughts were all of these could be incorporated into a nice either cabin, or better underground building of some type to stay safe, warm, and keep food and niceties like the hot water mentioned, if used in moderation. Solar and a battery bank can run all this while attracting little attention. OK, sorry back to the radio stuff, need to get that up to par again, and have the correct hardware, and software on hand, along with a couple of older laptops that can be tossed in a bag, or backpack for use on the go.

Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Casey

Postby SpanishInquisition » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:18:04

After playing with it, I'm starting to favor PSK31. As far as lightweight goes, there are droid applications for most digital modes these days. :) For a Notebook, multipsk is pretty versatile.

Those peltier effect thermoelectric coolers are major current hogs. To provide for that constand load plus have some recharge on a battery bank to keep intermittant hi-drain (xmitter!) applications going, you'd need a goodly sized solar array. The propane/electric will draw less. Just make sure you test it before you buy a used one as they will sludge up and become inoperative.

SpanishInquisition
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: NobodyExpectsThe

My Arsenal:
Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms!

However...for now, let's jut say I'm exercising my second amendment rights, m'kay?

Return to Survival and Emergency Preparedness (SHTF)