Savage A17

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

Savage A17

Postby widefat » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 07:33:39

Well, I have owned several Savage Rifles, and still do. I guess it was inevitable that I buy one that should be melted down for a paperweight.

I picked up an A17 (Semi-Auto .17 HMR) because I read a couple of reviews that said Savage had cracked the .17 HMR semi-auto code.
Sucker! I wish I had taken time to read some real people reviews of the rifle. It seems that my rifle has most of the problems I read about others having - ie, 5 people report five different problems, well, I got em all-in-one, repeated (happens often)

Trigger. The first shot after inserting the mag and chambering the first round is atrociously hard, to the point that I thought the
safety was on. The subsequent pulls are ridiculously light. until you reload the mag and insert - first pull is always noxious.

failure to strip and chamber the next round.

light strikes - click, no bang

flyers, even with the special A17 ammo (yes I bought some)

Magazine has to be slammed in an hammered to latch (at least it doesnt fall out)

Okay, it is new, and I admit these problems happened in the first 100 rounds. But I have NEVER bought a rifle that performed this bad out of the box. I am going to push a few more rounds through it, do another deep cleaning, and see if it improves. If not, I'll work on sending it back to Savage. I did send them a note about the absurd trigger situation.
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Re: Savage A17

Postby widefat » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:09:39

Update -

I called Savage, and they are sending me a UPS label to return to factory for warranty service. Reading up, I found that people with A17 problems were satisfied after Savage tuned them up.
Still, should not have so many issues out of the box.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:25:57

That's a pain in the ass. I'm glad that Savage is going to correct the issue(s) you've been having. Good on them.
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

Postby widefat » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:34:31

Yeah, it is a pain. I have never had to return a firearm before.

widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby FiremanBob » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 20:39:41

Doesn't sound any worse than some of the 10/22s I've seen in the past two years.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 24 Nov 2015 20:47:47

My wife wants a rifle in .17hmr. That A17 looks right up her alley. Guess I'll wait a couple of years, see if they can work the bugs out of it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 25 Nov 2015 01:06:25

My LGS has some sweet Henry Golden Boys in .17 HMR.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

Postby Mindflayer » Mon, 30 Nov 2015 00:19:45

I have two Savage .17 HMRs in bolt action, and they are sweet, accurate shooters. I looked at the A17, but... sticking with the bolt actions.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby Remek » Fri, 25 Dec 2015 02:24:34

I have a bolt action Savage too, and its the bees knees, but that magazine does give you a hard time getting it slammed home. Otherwise, I love it!

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Postby FiremanBob » Fri, 25 Dec 2015 08:18:15

The Ruger American Rimfire in .17 is also excellent, with a great trigger.
1022Companion.com

FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

Postby Snakester » Wed, 01 Jun 2016 21:55:56

I've shot the A17 and also the A22 Mag. and have to say they both performed just fine . The A17 after a through cleaning and over oiling and a couple hours at the range and another cleaning and oiling did finally shoot the way it was intended ! We were shooting A17 ammo and can report we had no mis firing but did have a few ejecting issues. The trigger did take a while to get the hang of and both have a VERY light trigger pull. I think for a while I will stick with my Golden Boys....For my .22 mag. and .17 HMR shooting I like my lever guns.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Return to Rifles