Purchasing AR out of state?

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

Purchasing AR out of state?

Postby MattS » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:35:41

Maybe because of my lack of posts I couldn't post in Rules/Regs, but I've searched all over and was looking for confirmation/denial of what I understand.

Seeing it may be my last chance to purchase one, I'm looking at ARs like so many others are. With all the price gouging out there, one of the better ways to buy one may be through a big box. I'd rather support a local dealer, but not if they want twice as much money and they probably don't have one to sell anyway.

So for example, lets say I was able to locate something at the Cabela's in PA. From what I've read, as long as it is legal in your state, you should be able to buy a rifle in PA. It also appears it is legal for me to transport it through MD, as long as it is unloaded and locked in the trunk. Am I missing anything? As long as it is a complete AR, it should be considered a long gun? Stripped lowers from internet sites require FFL transfer because they are not complete and therefore not really a "long gun".

Am I off on anything? I imagine WV wouldn't be a problem either if there was something to buy there. Thanks for the help, reading through old threads on here has been very helpful for everything gun related.

MattS
Sighting In
Sighting In

Re: Purchasing AR out of state?

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:01:05

MattS wrote:So for example, lets say I was able to locate something at the Cabela's in PA. From what I've read, as long as it is legal in your state, you should be able to buy a rifle in PA. It also appears it is legal for me to transport it through MD, as long as it is unloaded and locked in the trunk. Am I missing anything?

Nope, not missing anything just cash.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MattS » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:09:05

jdonovan wrote:
MattS wrote:So for example, lets say I was able to locate something at the Cabela's in PA. From what I've read, as long as it is legal in your state, you should be able to buy a rifle in PA. It also appears it is legal for me to transport it through MD, as long as it is unloaded and locked in the trunk. Am I missing anything?

Nope, not missing anything just cash.

Thank you. I'll also have to figure out how driving an SUV may complicate the transport. It looks like as long as it isn't loaded I should be OK.

Of course this is based on the 1% chance they have something in stock.

MattS
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:14:38

Thank you. I'll also have to figure out how driving an SUV may complicate the transport. It looks like as long as it isn't loaded I should be OK.

locked case.

Of course this is based on the 1% chance they have something in stock.

Its good to have a healthy fantasy life.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MattS » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:33:12

Well the Cabela's in Hamburg PA has none and no ETA on more. As expected.

MattS
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 17:02:31

If you are part of NOVA, Big Dog Outfitters in King George just got a fresh supply in.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby MattS » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 17:18:39

MNMGoneShooting wrote:If you are part of NOVA, Big Dog Outfitters in King George just got a fresh supply in.

I'm in Loudoun. Thanks for the tip, although I see the posted it on their Facebook, so they may have been overrun already.

MattS
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 21:43:11

VA Arms had one in 6.8 on the shelf tonight.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MattS » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:17:01

Thanks. A more palatable trip even if it doesn't result in a purchase. Almost went down to Manassas today, before I started reading up on buying rifles in PA and driving through MD.

Big Dog still has some in stock, but wouldn't reveal the price on the phone. 2+ hour drive just to find out they are asking something crazy? No thanks. I understand there is money to be made, and don't expect to find one for "cheap", but some of these asking prices you are seeing on GunBroker are insane. If Big Dog had something else I was looking for, maybe I would have checked it out anyway, but they didn't. Oh well.

MattS
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:53:33

MattS wrote:Thanks. A more palatable trip even if it doesn't result in a purchase. Almost went down to Manassas today, before I started reading up on buying rifles in PA and driving through MD.

Big Dog still has some in stock, but wouldn't reveal the price on the phone. 2+ hour drive just to find out they are asking something crazy? No thanks. I understand there is money to be made, and don't expect to find one for "cheap", but some of these asking prices you are seeing on GunBroker are insane. If Big Dog had something else I was looking for, maybe I would have checked it out anyway, but they didn't. Oh well.

Ask to talk to the owner and tell him you'll make the drive if he gives you a specific deal within your expected range. This is a new business and I know he wants to move more product (my wife talked to him today). I would think he would accommodate.

You can tell me what you are looking for and if I'm in the area tomorrow, I can drop by there. It's right by the dump center, so I always use trash run excuses with the wife to drop by there!
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby MattS » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 15:21:51

MNMGoneShooting wrote:
MattS wrote:Thanks. A more palatable trip even if it doesn't result in a purchase. Almost went down to Manassas today, before I started reading up on buying rifles in PA and driving through MD.

Ask to talk to the owner and tell him you'll make the drive if he gives you a specific deal within your expected range. This is a new business and I know he wants to move more product (my wife talked to him today). I would think he would accommodate.

You can tell me what you are looking for and if I'm in the area tomorrow, I can drop by there. It's right by the dump center, so I always use trash run excuses with the wife to drop by there!

Well it is probably too late in the day today, but if you are ever looking for an excuse to check in there, I had been zeroing in on the M&P 15 or Sig M400 because they were on the affordable side of the AR spectrum with a good reputation. The Mossberg MMR is an interesting choice too, but that might be even harder to find. Although I may have to expand my criteria to anything with a flat top or removable handle, and a 16"-16.5" barrel, chambered in 556.

Of course, at the end of the day you can swap out nearly any part of the weapon you don't particularly care for, so maybe the criteria becomes "anything not 2x's retail price".

MattS
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby chucknra » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:01:12

Anybody been to Big Dog Outfitters and seen their prices? Are they super-inflated or at least close to MSRP? Thanks.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
chucknra
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby allingeneral » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:02:27

chucknra wrote:Anybody been to Big Dog Outfitters and seen their prices? Are they super-inflated or at least close to MSRP? Thanks.

I was in there the other day. The few prices that I looked at seemed to be what I would have expected.
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby chucknra » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:07:32

allingeneral wrote:
chucknra wrote:Anybody been to Big Dog Outfitters and seen their prices? Are they super-inflated or at least close to MSRP? Thanks.

I was in there the other day. The few prices that I looked at seemed to be what I would have expected.

Thanks much for the quick reply....I might have to go visit them this week.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
chucknra
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby crossfireltd » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:00:27

Matt.......I sent you a PM. 8-)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
crossfireltd
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Robert

My Arsenal:
Springfield Xd .45 acp
Taurus PT145 .45ACP
Mossburg Marking 12ga

Next Firearm:
AR Platform from Red Jacket

Postby Grendel69 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 10:32:04

Grendel69
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Grendel

My Arsenal:
CZ-75 .40cal
Browning 1911 .22
Bersa Thunder .380
Daniel Defense Ambush .223
Ruger Mini 14 .223
Marlin Model1894 Lever Action .357 Mag
Remington 700 SPS 30-06

Postby Hammer » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 06:47:06

Quantico Tacticla has your M&P for $8xx if you are a first responder.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Hammer
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bud

My Arsenal:
Savage Model 11, .308
DPMS Oracle AR-15
S&W 1911 "E"
Ruger SR9c
Beretta M9, 25th Anniversary Edition
Browning BDA 380 (hers)
Ruger LCP (hers)

Next Firearm:
guess i need a shotgun

Postby Hammer » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:03:34

Hammer
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Savage Model 11, .308
DPMS Oracle AR-15
S&W 1911 "E"
Ruger SR9c
Browning BDA 380 (hers)
Ruger LCP (hers)

Next Firearm:
guess i need a shotgun

Postby grumpyMSG » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:15:37

Did anybody notice that this thread started a year ago? What was happening about a year ago to create a panic about buying an AR?

I understand the need or want to resurrect an older thread if new information about a topic became available, but I would guess that someone looking for an AR a year ago would probably have purchased one by now...
You just have to ask yourself, is he telling you the truth based on knowledge and experience or spreading internet myths?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby Hammer » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 18:00:41

grumpyMSG wrote:Did anybody notice that this thread started a year ago? What was happening about a year ago to create a panic about buying an AR?

I understand the need or want to resurrect an older thread if new information about a topic became available, but I would guess that someone looking for an AR a year ago would probably have purchased one by now...

Good points! I'm tracking your logic, and concur. No, I did not realize the post was old. Thanks for the friendly heads-up.

Thank God! I thought someone was going to bust me on caliber. The requirement was for .556 but my link is for .300 Whisper.

Hammer
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Savage Model 11, .308
DPMS Oracle AR-15
S&W 1911 "E"
Ruger SR9c
Browning BDA 380 (hers)