real deal about high velocity impact damage.

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

real deal about high velocity impact damage.

Postby bali » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 23:00:40

http://www.kenrahn.com/JFK/Scientific_t ... speed.html

his statements about jfk, tho, are based upon "evidence" that was doctored and the man's brain has long since disappeared. Now WHY would anyone steal his brain, hmm? Unless it was vital evidence that could not be made public. The plane took an unexplained 2+extra hours to arrive at Bethesda, from Dallas. Wonder what all went on during those 2 hours, hmm?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Re: real deal about high velocity impact damage.

Postby bali » Sun, 09 Oct 2016 23:12:28

the larger the bore of the gun, the less velocity is needed for the temp cavity to be able to damage tissue not actually touched by the bullet. If you doubt this, shoot some chucks, coons, coyotes with hollowpoint 12 ga slugs sometime. :-) it doesn't require 2200 fps when the slug is 1" in diameter and a .72 bore 12 ga slug expands to 1" in a big hurry, at impact speeds of 1400 fps.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby M1A4ME » Mon, 10 Oct 2016 08:27:19

Bullet placement. My dad and his dad killed ground hogs (and ate them) with their .22's. Head shots. I used to head shoot them with my .223. Much more fun to sneak up on them than to gut shoot them from longer range.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Nrah » Wed, 25 Dec 2019 02:13:20

The Warrem Report stinks six ways to Sunday, to any experienced hunter. Since when do you shoot anything in the back of the head, and have brains pop out of the skull, back towards you?

LHO was shooting from a window, 4 stories up, at a moving target, 75 to 90 yards distant, with a Carcano carbine. Possible, maybe, but exceptionally improbable, even for a Marine. Even if you watched the Zapruder film, in two of the frames, at slow mo, it appeared as if JFK's skull is literally being torn off, as he reels backward from the force of massive frontal force.

We beat this half to death, back in high school, before the earth's crust cooled.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Nrah
On Target
On Target

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Yoda's Chi, S&W 6906, Ruger SBH Hunter
VEPR, Browning X-Bolt 30.06

Next Firearm:
10MM Longslide, brand undetermined

Postby M1A4ME » Wed, 25 Dec 2019 09:27:14

1. An expert FBI marksman could not replicate the shots
2. those rifles are known to be so inaccurate that in one of the early Hornady manuals I own they state that it is a waste of time/money to attempt reloading accurate ammo for them, then they go ahead and give you reloading data in case you have one and feel the need to try
3. they went back later, to get the rifle from the evidence lockers to do some more ballistics study on it and found someone had poured something in the barrel that ate away the lands/grooves so badly no measurements/observations could be made.
4. Oswald barely qualified with an M1 Garand at the minimum level while in the Marines - at targets that didn't move.
5. Oswald had attempted to shoot a retired US Army General a few months prior to the Kennedy assasination (tired of trying to get spell check to fix it for me, no matter what I try it's underlined in red) who was standing at a window on the 2nd floor of his house. Oswald missed a standing/still target.

Once I got to shooting rifles in the US Army I began to doubt all that garbage the government put out on that one.

We all have reasons for believing what we do.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby M1A4ME » Wed, 25 Dec 2019 09:38:23

And the real deal is - high velocity bullets can do some funny things after impact on a target.

Shoot enough ground hogs with 45 grain .223 bullets from 50 to 225 yds. (all but one head shots) and you'll see all kinds of weird stuff.

Dead without a twitch. It lays there as you walk up on it and you can poke it with the rifle barrel and it rolls over, or falls into the hole.

Dead and doesn't know it. Bullet hits just to the right/left of the spine at the base of the skull and the ground hog drops down, hauls butt the way it was facing, leaving an 8 or 10 ft. bloody trail 3 or 4" wide till it stops running. Roll it over and there's not eye, no upper or lower jaw, just a big red hole. Since the spine/brain wasn't hit directly, it reacted.

Hit in the neck, it's dead and there's no exit wound. Bullet turned 90 degrees after hitting the spine and tore down the spine/ribs till it stopped above the hip joints (that was a weird one, cut the heat off and it was looking into a piece of pita bread you cut one side off of and open up. I could see the rib bones, the spine and the bullet lying at the bottom.

Hit I the shoulder and the bone fragments looked like a small bomb went off inside it. Bone everywhere. Just cut it off above the hips/rear legs and threw the rest of it in a hole.

Many of them, even hit in the skull/brain just had a small entrance would and a somewhat larger one on the other side. Few cases of very large exit wounds.

Had similar stuff happen on deer with a much larger .308 bullet. Even had one, 95 yd. shot, where the bullet hit the spine, took a 90 degree turn and traveled down the spine for almost 2 ft. Pretty much destroyed the tender loin on the left side. Had another one where I hit him in the neck about half way between his head and shoulders. The spine exploded and I had to throw away several inches of meat that was littered with small bone fragments.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Nrah » Thu, 26 Dec 2019 14:07:55

Ever have one of those groundhogs get knocked over, towards the direction of the head shot, and have it's brains eject outwards, also towards the direction of the shot ?

Because that's what we're all being told happened with JFK. With my limited knowledge of ballistics, after repeatedly watching the obviously redacted Zapruder film, I would guess there were a couple of very close range shooters, in the front, at Dealy Plaza.

But since 18 witnesses to the event mysteriously died and disappeared, we'll never really know, will we ?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Nrah
On Target
On Target

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Yoda's Chi, S&W 6906, Ruger SBH Hunter
VEPR, Browning X-Bolt 30.06

Next Firearm:
10MM Longslide, brand undetermined

Return to Question and Answer