Not so much a question, more an opinion

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

Not so much a question, more an opinion

Postby tangodown » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:15:38

So I was looking threw some of my older weapons books and I ran across the Russian PTRD 14.5mm...... couldn't help but this what would be the better anti material rifle, the 1942 PTRD 14.5x115mm or the current M82A1/2 .50BMG we use? Any thoughts?
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Re: Not so much a question, more an opinion

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 18 Feb 2016 00:13:10

I'm not sure about the Russian gun, but in general, I would go with the modern 50 for available ammo and interoperability. When it comes down to what round is actually better at breaking stuff... Sounds like a good time trying to find out.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Re: Not so much a question, more an opinion

Postby Nrah » Wed, 25 Dec 2019 02:24:19

The PTRD was the weapon they scaled down, to make the SKS.

As it's much larger than 50 Caliber, you could not own one without the proper authorizations from the ATF. A Tax Stamp, to say the least, assuming they are legal in your area, AND you have a range, to shoot them. 15.5X115mm is .570 gauge, and IIRC, it was listed as anti-tank and armor. Not to mention, they are long and heavy, not so portable.

.570 caliber is roughly equivalent to a 12 gauge shotgun, in size.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Nrah
On Target
On Target

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Yoda's Chi, S&W 6906, Ruger SBH Hunter
VEPR, Browning X-Bolt 30.06

Next Firearm:
10MM Longslide, brand undetermined

Return to Question and Answer