Best online concealed carry course??

Post your (General Firearms Related) question and it's likely that someone can give you the answer

Best online concealed carry course??

Postby ggent001 » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:33:19

hey there. Looking to get my concealed carry permit. I've seen some online courses. Are these good to take? What price is reasonable for these courses. Thanks a bunch,
Geoff
Last edited by ggent001 on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:41:12, edited 1 time in total.

ggent001
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
K98(soon)

Re: Bset online concealed carry course??

Postby ProShooter » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:39:17

I personally don't think very much of them, but of course I am biased in that response so I'll let some other members chime in with their thoughts.

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Re: Best online concealed carry course??

Postby MountainCat » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:01:52

ggent001 wrote:hey there. Looking to get my concealed carry permit. I've seen some online courses. Are these good to take? What price is reasonable for these courses. Thanks a bunch,
Geoff

I can understand someone taking an online course if they are already familiar with guns and just need to get the documentation. For someone who is not familiar with guns, an online course would be a big mistake IMHO. In the latter case, an instructor and range time would be more appropriate.

I don't know how much the online courses are but IIFC they are not priced much differently than classroom instruction. It's $30 at the pistol club near me and that includes some live fire.

What part of the State are you in?

MountainCat
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: T

My Arsenal:
Rubber Band Pistol

Next Firearm:
Rubber Band Rifle

Postby ggent001 » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:30:27

I live in the Norfolk area.
G

ggent001
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
K98(soon)

Postby ProShooter » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:28:40

We're based in Richmond and we'd be happy to help you out if you decide to take our training courses.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby newdovo » Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:42:51

I agree that actually going to a class/training is best, particularly one that includes info specific to carrying a gun for defensive purposes (as opposed to a hunter safety class), concealed carry, and Virginia gun law. As noted earlier, if you're up on this and just need documentation, here's the one I took:
http://www.concealed-carry.net/

It covered the basics and fulfills your legal requirement for $39.99.

Parry

newdovo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: newdovo

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:12:02

TheWife just took the course at Concealed Carry Institute (same place as linked in newdovo's post) and it was about an hour long with a 20 question multiple choice test at the end. You have to get 75% correct (15 out of 20) in order to pass, then print your PDF Certificate of Completion. The cost was $39.99.

I do agree with people who say that an online course by itself isn't enough, but it certainly can't hurt. :thumbsup:
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby robruffn » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:48:48

there is a pretty cool website call http://www.safeorsorry.net they offer online firearm training Nationwide. You can take both your basic and your concealed carry class online, and print the certificate right after your done with the test. It is legal and solid training...

there is always nay Sayers, but there always was, for any online training. I think firearm training online is great and well needed. its really a stepping tone anyway...

http://www.safeorsorry.net Basic + Concealed on sale for $45...

robruffn
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
all of them

Postby smltooner » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:06:30

newdovo wrote:I agree that actually going to a class/training is best, particularly one that includes info specific to carrying a gun for defensive purposes (as opposed to a hunter safety class), concealed carry, and Virginia gun law. As noted earlier, if you're up on this and just need documentation, here's the one I took:
http://www.concealed-carry.net/

It covered the basics and fulfills your legal requirement for $39.99.

Parry

I took this class and learned a lot, bit I agree that an in-person class is probably better.
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby SgtBill » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:52:47

Sorry, but unless you are an acomplished shooter then I strongly suggest that you sign up for a class where someone can show you and watch you shoot. Many people can shoot and in fact shoot for many years but may be doing one little thing wrong and this keep's them from living up to their full potential and shooting the best that they could. A good qualifyed person that can teach and catch mistakes while the person is in fact shooting and correct it cant be done on line. It has to be one on one or in a small class. Just my 2 cent's.
Bill

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:43:50

MountainCat wrote:
ggent001 wrote:hey there. Looking to get my concealed carry permit. I've seen some online courses. Are these good to take? What price is reasonable for these courses. Thanks a bunch,
Geoff

I can understand someone taking an online course if they are already familiar with guns and just need to get the documentation. For someone who is not familiar with guns, an online course would be a big mistake IMHO. In the latter case, an instructor and range time would be more appropriate.

I don't know how much the online courses are but IIFC they are not priced much differently than classroom instruction. It's $30 at the pistol club near me and that includes some live fire.

What part of the State are you in?

+1

Nothing beats a good tutor if you're new. If you're an old hat and just need refreshing on the laws, the onling courses are good.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby baz » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:59:07

I would take a class that lets you shoot! More practice is better. Also, the hands on experience is crucial for owning a weapon and planning on carrying it. Carrying concealed changes your life and you should invest in a great teacher/class.
I took my class in Ohio which consisted of >10 hours of class time (that was a little too much but Ohio requires it) and a couple hours of shooting (lots of people taking turns). But, I can recommend a guy at Blue Ridge Shooters Club who teaches a course there. I have shot with him a couple times; he is an excellent gentleman who is concerned with you learning, shooting well, and having fun.

baz
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: baz

My Arsenal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZ2qvhJGgU

Postby VAGunTraining » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 12:40:03

I'm biased, but the cheapest route by far is: http://www.vaguntraining.com

VAGunTraining
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby t33j » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 14:43:16

Take a class unless you have significant prior experience with firearms.
Bob's does them. I'm sure there's somewhere in Va Beach that does them... check out The Armory for flyers.
Sic semper tyrannis

t33j
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Anonymous

Postby gunderwood » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:00:17

t33j wrote:Take a class unless you have significant prior experience with firearms.

That about sums up my feelings. If I were to move to another state, I would take the online class in a heart beat. Cheap and easy.

However, I would prefer a constitutional carry law. Generally, people who are new to firearms seek out those whom are knowledgeable and work with them to become proficient. There is no right answer as to how much firearm training any particular individual needs; you can't prescribe it by law. Any arbitrary number the legislature chooses may be infringing on a right or insufficient for training for others. Make people take responsibility for their actions and remove government restrictions on liberty.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby Kylee » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 00:07:00

Best online concealed carry course is gonna come from Pacific NW states like Oregon. The provide online training courses for CHL's that satisfy the educational requirement for handgun safety training to obtain your concealed handgun license. And then all you have to do after that is make an appointment with your Sheriff.

Kylee
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby skeeterss0 » Mon, 17 Oct 2016 08:27:45

I second the endorsement of Bob's gun shop for a classes in Norfolk area. They also have a range on the 3rd floor. In Va beach, there is Colonial Shooting Acadamy on the corner of witchduck Rd & Va Bch Blvd. I'm not familiar with their courses tho.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby ProShooter » Sun, 23 Oct 2016 23:05:05

Kylee wrote:Best online concealed carry course is gonna come from Pacific NW states like Oregon. The provide online training courses for CHL's that satisfy the educational requirement for handgun safety training to obtain your concealed handgun license. And then all you have to do after that is make an appointment with your Sheriff.

What certification does the course instructor possess?

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 24 Oct 2016 06:51:50

newdovo wrote:It covered the basics and fulfills your legal requirement for $39.99.

careful with the "meets legal requirements"

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Res ... ealed.shtm

7) Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

I'm going to pick on Jim here a moment, as he is a NRA instructor.

Being that he's a certified instructor, if he makes an online class with 1 slide that reads "do good stuff" and gives you a certificate, he and you have met the "legal requirement".

Is this a good class?

What is the student's goal. Meet the minimum to get the license? Get good training? Get legal advice? Depending on student needs and existing skills, it might be a good class.

To the OP's question.

We don't know your background, so its hard to say what you should do for classes. If you're already an experienced pistolero, then you might only need a class to meet state minimums for the permit.

If you are new-ish, then I think you are going to want about 4 classes spread across about 12-24 months.

basic pistol
advanced pistol - move, reload, draw from holster, working on doing things more quickly, putting separate skills together into fluid action
defensive pistol - do the advanced skills while using cover/concealment, flashlight, and non-traditional positions.
and a CCW specific laws/legalities class.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Return to Question and Answer