Ban Legislation Announced Less Than 24 Hours After Election

Contact your Federal or State Representative and Delegates. Send them an email and let them know that you want them to fight for your Second Amendment Rights.
Forum rules
Gun related political postings are welcome here. If it's not firearm related, please don't post it.

Re: Ban Legislation Announced Less Than 24 Hours After Election

Postby domin8ss » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 21:18:04

zykur wrote:
MarcSpaz wrote:I haven't seen any court ever overturn a state or federal weapons ban. Whenever a state or feds have banned a specific weapon or weapon characteristics, it has stood, regardless of suits.

I hope someone can correct me, but I think the precedent to support legislation has been set.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
McDonald and Heller overturned bans to a certain extent.
The biggest problem is the lower courts and states openly defying the Supreme Court and SCOTUS not doing a thing to reign them in.

If they don't take one of these ban cases and rule 9-0 they will become irrelevant and all future decisions will be suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I was in Highland Park, IL when the north shore communities of Chicago passed AWBs. They used the ambiguity of Heller to pass their agenda. The Illinois version of VCDL (Illinois State Rifle Association) sued Highland Park (Friedman v Highland Park). Highland Park obtained an attorney from Perkins Coie (sp?) who represented the city, and won. The Supreme Court was petitioned, but voted to not hear the case. Justice Scalia authored a dissent to the court and called them out for not standing behind their decision in Heller. Of particular interest is the lack of judicial split rulings on this matter. We need a federal circuit to rule against an AWB to get a fire lit under SCOTUS's arse. Imo, taking it to the 4th Circuit is pointless. They've already upheld Maryland's AWB. Right now our best hope lies with Kentucky. The 6th Circuit might give us the split ruling we need. I think if they apply strict scrutiny to the law we would be okay. Unfortunately, it seems like the 2nd Amendment gets ruled on with intermediate scrutiny whereas all other constitutional law cases are ruled with strict scrutiny. It's absolutely sickening.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

domin8ss
Marksman
Marksman

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 22:13:18

Agreed on all points. The lower courts act like McDonald and Heller never happened.

If I recall correctly on the Friedman v Highland Park case was like the Worman v. Healey case in Massachusetts. The First Circuit upheld the state law claiming that the law does not "heavily burden the core right." The First Circuit also said that there is "no indication that the proscribed weapons have commonly been used for home self-defense purposes", more or less saying that they are not in common use, therefor not protected by the Second Amendment.

Like Friedman v Highland Park, the appeals judges for the Worman v. Healey tried to twist the words of the SCOTUS and the SCOTUS told them to revisit the appeal, applying more strict scrutiny.

The whole thing is a joke and the Progressives are going to keep trying to do whatever it takes to strip the power from the People.
Last edited by MarcSpaz on Sun, 22 Dec 2019 22:15:50, edited 1 time in total.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby domin8ss » Sun, 22 Dec 2019 22:14:42

SHMIV wrote:Well, we haven't exhausted all of the civilized options, just yet. For example, we still haven't tried "tarring and feathering".

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
They're always talking about how dangerous the "Wild West" was. Why not stick term on their high horses and lynch them by making their horse run away? /sarcasm

domin8ss
Marksman
Marksman

Postby RKtullahomaTN » Sat, 11 Jan 2020 03:29:49

And now it begins.

HB 567

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... bDKyI9bUac

On 1/10, a bill was signed into law that made carrying a firearm in any VA state building Illegal.

Buckle up.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
RKtullahomaTN
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby RKtullahomaTN » Tue, 14 Jan 2020 00:36:03

This....

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... 1+sum+SB16

Am I understanding properly, that the lump of dung passing for the crown jewel in Blackface & Co.'s gungrab has been THROWN OUT, at the behest of the patron of the bill, UNANIMOUSLY by a highly communist err Democrat committee?

Did someone see some sense? or some something else?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
RKtullahomaTN
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby domin8ss » Tue, 14 Jan 2020 02:49:51

Yes, it died in committee today. I think they're just trying to appease the angry mob that's ready to chase them out of Richmond. Be careful. That doesn't mean a new one might be lingering somewhere, including somebody's desk awaiting filing.

domin8ss
Marksman
Marksman

Postby M1A4ME » Tue, 14 Jan 2020 07:20:14

On arfcom there was a thread about this and they said the one the assault weapons ban bill that is left for consideration is even worse than Saslaws bill would have been.

No, I don't remember the bill number/ID.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby RKtullahomaTN » Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:04:21

M1A4ME wrote:On arfcom there was a thread about this and they said the one the assault weapons ban bill that is left for consideration is even worse than Saslaws bill would have been.

No, I don't remember the bill number/ID.

Very well, sir. A link, though, to ar15.com, or wherever this thread is, would be much appreciated. There ARE those (such as I) who are not members, or even casual visitors, of ar15.com, that might find that thread, and definitely find the bill number to be useful.

A nod towards timeliness, also, I think, would be appreciated.

RKinTN

RKtullahomaTN
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 14 Jan 2020 12:22:53

The Senate Bill SB16 was replace with House Bill HB961...

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+HB961

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby RKtullahomaTN » Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:50:09

And still awaiting committee referral as of last week (1/7/20) if LIS is being kept up to date.

Are those haughty blue bastiches that sure of another ram through? Or are they waiting for the counties and locations that declared themselves 2A Sanctuaries to become malaised or fatigued?

TJ said "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"... so they will have to be watched. It"s to be hoped that the delay in question is being used by more counties to form county militia.

RKtullahomaTN
Sighting In
Sighting In

Previous

Return to Virginia and National Politics (Firearm Related Only)