Suggest to me: Single Point Sling

Rifle discussions - Rifle ammunition, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your rifle.

Suggest to me: Single Point Sling

Postby JustinCase » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:46:36

Getting ready to buy an E93 sling adapter for my WASR, what AFFORDABLE single point sling would you suggest? You get gold stars for providing links. :-)

TIA,
JC

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
JustinCase
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Justin

My Arsenal:
.22LR and .177 Crossman :-)

Re: Suggest to me: Single Point Sling

Postby OakRidgeStars » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:16:37

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby gunderwood » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:54:11

I'm a Mapul MMS fan (http://store.magpul.com/category/51) , although my Troy is nice too. Here are some things to consider.

1. Thick webbing or padding is always preferred. The Troy is padded nicely.

2. Attachment mechanism. I prefer the QD mechanisms or clips. I'm not a fan of threading the webbing through slots on the rifle. Too hard to remove quickly if required. YMMV.

3. Shock cord is nice, but I don't find it necessary. While it seems to slow the impulse of the firearm dropping down, I find it doesn't settle as quickly. YMMV.

4. Like a single solid QD for emergency exit or reconfiguration. I find that having multiple buckles, etc just gets in the way and makes the sling "ridged." For example, on that Cobra (just of illustration, I'm not picking on it) you notice it has two buckles in the loop that goes around you. IMHO, their too high (I want them at the triangle piece) and I only want 1. Also, the QD buckle between the triangle and the clip isn't needed or wanted (for me). It's just something that will make noise by banging around. YMMV.

5. Choose your mount locations wisely so as to allow shooting from either side of your body. A QD on one side may work fine (e.g. Magpul UBR), but it also may not. Also, go for the lightest and least complicated system (e.g. I use the QDs on ARs with rails that have them built in vice adding my own on the rails to get a bit more customization).

Remember, that a one point sling serves two primary purposes:

1. Weapon control for CBQ engagements where the threat is inside your work space.

2. Weapon retention when you need to use another tool (e.g. handgun) or otherwise must drop/release the firearm.

Finally, please, please only intentionally release the firearm (e.g. transitioning to the handgun) when the safety is on. Otherwise, the swinging rifle may catch the trigger and discharge into your leg/foot. If you ever get a chance to see pictures of what happens when you don't, you won't forget! FYI, you'll likely loose the leg.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby GeneFrenkle » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 18:11:56

I thoight one point slimgs were passe and folks were using two point because it has all the benefits of a one point but fewer drawbacks.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby gunderwood » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 18:32:17

GeneFrenkle wrote:I thoight one point slimgs were passe and folks were using two point because it has all the benefits of a one point but fewer drawbacks.

I think it depends greatly on your intended use. One point has benefits in CQB, but doesn't offer anything for stability. Two point offers more stability, but typically doesn't have the flexibility for various CBQ shooting positions, etc. There's also a large dose of personal preference.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby GeneFrenkle » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 18:40:26

Sounds like a new thread... One pt, two pt vs three pt slings: pros, cons, and how to decide....

And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Que » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:20:20

Here is a review a friend of mine recently completed.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/accessori ... rison.html

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
Que
On Target
On Target

Postby JustinCase » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:31:25

Gold star for the Condor link... Within my price range too..

THX!
JC

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
JustinCase
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Justin

My Arsenal:
.22LR and .177 Crossman :-)

Return to Rifles