modern M1 carbine
Posted: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 10:14:54
I recently picked up an M1 carbine, new one, Auto Ordance, but placed in a "tactical" Choate stock,non-folding variety. Went, and waited, at the NRA HQ range since it goes to 50 yards and weather outside was very dodgy. Shot 200 rounds through it of 3 different brands of .30 carbine ammo, which I picked up at the most recent Dulles Nations Gun Show,
Sweet! Fun to fire, a few fail to eject, strangely, only at the very beginning I did learn that the first time loading I needed to ensure the last bullet was on the left side (my side since I shoot right-handed), and that SD soft lead tips were very prone to misfeed on the feedramp if the last bullet was on the right side. If on the left side, almost no issues. But once I started firing, I had almost no issues.
Accurate, at 30' I placed 5 shots in the span of a 1". At 100' it was like 3". At the max range in the facility, 50 yards/150' I hit 19 out of 20 in a small man-shaped target (about a 1' radius). And I was getting tired since I had already lifted weights earlier that day (not a good idea to shoot after lifting hard). Oh well. My issue is since I got LASIK almost 10 years ago, my right eye is only 20/40 or so (had a hard time healing unlike 90% of folks that get LASIK); left eye is crystal-clear 20/20, both eyes open I'm 20/20. If only which eye had problem was reversed! But shooting past 100' or so my vision gets blurry, even on the front post. So, long story short, I can pretty much hit center of mass with the carbine out to 50 yards no problem. Next phase is shooting outside yup to 200 yards and see what I can do (and seeing the target/front post) will be the main concern.
Not much recoil, quick to aim/acquire, and follow-up shots are a breeze. Just a lot of fun to shoot. This is my suburban SHTF and plinking weapon. I'm not sure adding a tactical rail and red-dot would be worth it. Given my eye issues, any suggestions?
Sweet! Fun to fire, a few fail to eject, strangely, only at the very beginning I did learn that the first time loading I needed to ensure the last bullet was on the left side (my side since I shoot right-handed), and that SD soft lead tips were very prone to misfeed on the feedramp if the last bullet was on the right side. If on the left side, almost no issues. But once I started firing, I had almost no issues.
Accurate, at 30' I placed 5 shots in the span of a 1". At 100' it was like 3". At the max range in the facility, 50 yards/150' I hit 19 out of 20 in a small man-shaped target (about a 1' radius). And I was getting tired since I had already lifted weights earlier that day (not a good idea to shoot after lifting hard). Oh well. My issue is since I got LASIK almost 10 years ago, my right eye is only 20/40 or so (had a hard time healing unlike 90% of folks that get LASIK); left eye is crystal-clear 20/20, both eyes open I'm 20/20. If only which eye had problem was reversed! But shooting past 100' or so my vision gets blurry, even on the front post. So, long story short, I can pretty much hit center of mass with the carbine out to 50 yards no problem. Next phase is shooting outside yup to 200 yards and see what I can do (and seeing the target/front post) will be the main concern.
Not much recoil, quick to aim/acquire, and follow-up shots are a breeze. Just a lot of fun to shoot. This is my suburban SHTF and plinking weapon. I'm not sure adding a tactical rail and red-dot would be worth it. Given my eye issues, any suggestions?