Page 1 of 1

Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:33:01
by northvahunter
Hello,


How's it going VGOF?! I have been hunting for a while in VA, and came across this while looking up information about squirrel hunting in VA. Hopefully someone could at least lend me a little advice about squirrel hunting in VA, because I am yet to find many good locations. I am from Arlington, so hunting on my own property is not an option. Here it goes, thanks!

I stumbled across this thread when I was searching for good locations to go squirrel hunting in VA, and it sounded as though you folks had quite a bit of luck. My friend and I have been out to some WMAs, but have had zero luck this year (tried turkey and squirrels). I am hoping for some advice as to what WMAs in VA are best for squirrel hunting, as our searches have been futile. We live in Arlington, and though there are thousands of squirrels, hunting in Arlington county is illegal. I was also hoping to find someone who might be willing to let us hunt squirrel on their property. Being from Northern VA, we don't have many friends who are involved with hunting. We have both been hunting certified through Virginia, are very safety oriented, would be courteous to whoever allows us access, and of course follow any ground rules laid down by the landowner. We would wish to visit between June 16th and 18th. I greatly appreciate anyone who would allow us access, or give us any advice on where to hunt.

Thank you very much,

Alex

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 13:46:47
by Taggure
Hey Alex,

Here is the info on this years season

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re ... llgame.asp
Squirrel (Gray, Red, and Fox*)
* Fox squirrel open only in the counties west of the Blue Ridge and in the counties of Albemarle, Bedford, Culpeper, Fauquier, Franklin, Greene, Loudoun, Madison, Orange, Patrick, Prince William, and Rappahannock during any authorized squirrel season.

Bag Limit:
All squirrels combined - six per day.
Season:
September 4-January 31: statewide
Spring Season: June 4-18, 2011
Gray and red squirrels may be harvested on all private lands and on the following wildlife management areas: Amelia, Big Survey, Briery Creek, Cavalier, Chickahominy, Dick Cross, Fairystone (including Fairystone State Park and Philpott Reservoir), Featherfin, Goshen, Hardware River, Havens, Hog Island (Carlisle Tract only), Horsepen, James River, Little North Mountain, Merrimac Farm, Pettigrew, Phelps, Powhatan (including the Goochland Tract), Rapidan, Thompson, Turkeycock Mountain, and White Oak Mountain.

Fox squirrels may be harvested on all private lands in counties with an open fox squirrel season during the regular squirrel season and on the following wildlife management areas: Big Survey, Goshen, Havens, Little North Mountain, Merrimac Farm, Phelps, Rapidan, and Thompson.

Dogs may be used to hunt squirrels during the spring season.
My best advice is go out and pretend you are Deer hunting and you will see a ton of Tree Rats it never fails.

I like mine best with Dumplings

Vern

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:43:43
by Palladin
:welcome: To VGOF! and good luck :sniper:

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 07:33:28
by zephyp
Taggure wrote:H
My best advice is go out and pretend you are Deer hunting and you will see a ton of Tree Rats it never fails.

I like mine best with Dumplings

Vern
Spoken like a deer hunter in the know.... :hysterical:

:welcome:

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:48:15
by northvahunter
Sorry, I don't think I was really clear. I understand the laws or hunting, I just was hoping for advice on particular places in VA that are best for squirrel hunting. Unfortunately, I really haven't seen many squirrels when I have been out hunting for other animals, especially in certain WMAs.

Thanks!

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:55:48
by newdovo
We have plenty of them on the bird feeders. Too bad I can't hunt in my neighborhood. :roll:

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:27:37
by Taggure
You got a pellet rifle ?? :sniper:

1 July the new law goes in effect and I know several Tree Rats that will not live to see another winter in my back yard.

Yummy :letseat: I can just smell the dumplings now; just a simmering in the pot in Tree Rat gravy.

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:33:34
by Taggure
All in all I guess the best advice is to find a hunt club that is taking on members or maybe someone with private land will let you hunt. It is hard here in NOVA to find a place to hunt that is why I drive to Culpepper and out to Fredrick County for hunting.

have you tried Quantico that might be a thought?

Re: Squirrel Hunting in VA

Posted: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:44:48
by thekinetic
Welcome :welcome: :wave: