Page 1 of 1

Questions about selling a firearm

Posted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:08:51
by MDWine
I have a handgun for sale. (I'll post it to the forum soon.)
My question is "how" to verify that the buyer is a reasonable person.
I've never sold a firearm to a stranger! All of my firearms have been sold to folks I know and TRUST!

So the question... After asking for identification from a buyer, is it unreasonable to get a copy of a drivers license? (I'm kinda border-line on this one!) What process is generally used these days?

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen, if you please...

Thanks!

Michael

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Posted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:47:23
by VBshooter
Requesting to see some form of ID is acceptable. Wanting a copy to keep is going too far IMHO and would cause me to walk away. Many private sales involve the buyer simply showing 2 forms if ID. A DL,voter card or CHP are all good. Many will also suggest a Bill Of Sale be written, That's also fine if you want to do it. Ultimately it's up to you how far you want to take the issue. It's a private sale so you and the buyer can come to any terms that are acceptable to you both. Just get it all clear before the transaction starts,.

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Posted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:09:12
by davasmith
I'd agree 100% with VBshooter. I have in the past when buying a firearm in a private sale, had the seller give a name and number with the serial number of the firearm and put it in a safe at my house. I'd do the same with a private sale if I sold a firearm. License and CHP should more than suffice. Josh :coffee:

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Posted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:10:17
by davasmith
By the way, what ya' got?

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Posted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:12:18
by MDWine
Thanks guys... that's what I was looking for.
I have a bill of sale that has the firearm info as well as a place for both parties information. I was just a bit fuzzy on how far I need to go to protect myself!

Thanks again


.40 Smith & Wesson Sigma
4 mags, cable lock, orig box & Paperwork
light rail add-on
<300 rounds thru it

I'll post a picture and ad some time today.

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Posted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 19:51:50
by DWinter
After some tweaking my Sigma 40 was a good shooter. Good luck with the sale.

Re: Questions about selling a firearm

Posted: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 21:46:29
by gunderwood
VBshooter wrote:Requesting to see some form of ID is acceptable. Wanting a copy to keep is going too far IMHO and would cause me to walk away. Many private sales involve the buyer simply showing 2 forms if ID. A DL,voter card or CHP are all good. Many will also suggest a Bill Of Sale be written, That's also fine if you want to do it. Ultimately it's up to you how far you want to take the issue. It's a private sale so you and the buyer can come to any terms that are acceptable to you both. Just get it all clear before the transaction starts,.
+1

I don't bother with the BoS though unless I have too because the seller wants it and it is a really good deal. To each his own. You can find whole threads debating the BoS if you search.