Page 1 of 1

Thinking about selling

Posted: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:29:31
by AdmiralG26
So some stuff came up and we need the cash and was thinking about selling my G26. I was wondering how much you guys think I should ask for my Glock. Its got night sights 2 mags, and has had only 300-400 rounds through it. I was thinking along the lines of $400-$450. What are your thoughts?

Re: Thinking about selling

Posted: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:45:15
by gunderwood
That sounds like a fair price. I'd do some searching around and see what others are selling them for. Just don't get caught up in the crowd trying to sell a used commodity gun for new prices.

Re: Thinking about selling

Posted: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:57:51
by AdmiralG26
I know how that works. I Know I am not going to get my $687 back I paid for my gun, thats why I'm not going to ask for $600.

How would selling a firearm privately work (never done it before)? Can I transfer the gun registration, do I need to give a receipt, do I keep a copy of the receipt if my former hand gun is used in a crime (heaven forbid)? What are the general steps to keep the buyer and sell, more so the seller, safe?

Re: Thinking about selling

Posted: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:05:07
by Yarddawg
Virginia does not have gun registration. As far as a record is concerned, User has a very good bill of sale on his website that you can download. :thumbsup:

Re: Thinking about selling

Posted: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:18:57
by gunderwood
:popcorn:

VA allows for private sales and requires no paperwork. You can only sell the G26 to someone who is a lawful resident, 18 years of age or older (the 21yr old federal restriction only applies to FFLs), and not prohibited by federal law (remember all the questions you answered on the BATFE form?). There is technically no gun registration so you can't transfer it. However, if you believe the BATFE follows the intent of the law and destroys your submitted forms after the sale, I have bridge to sell you...

Beyond that, the government doesn't require anything of else of you. Everyone has their personal preferences. Some recommend a bill of sale (BOS), but I personally don't care to keep the governments paperwork. Search the forum for that term and you will find lots of threads on the subject.

IMO, if you think you need anything beyond what the state requires of you, you probably shouldn't do the sale.

Re: Thinking about selling

Posted: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:43:56
by allingeneral
No bill of sale is required for a private sale, but i you feel so inclined...

Here's "user's" bill of sale:

http://www.virginialegaldefense.com/Pvt ... ferBOS.PDF

and here's the VGOF bill of sale:

http://vagunforum.net/download/file.php?id=1038

Also, there are no registration requirements. Just ask to see a driver's license (to prove residency) and ask if the purchaser is legally barred from owning firearms, and you've performed your due diligence.

Re: Thinking about selling

Posted: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:25:20
by 007Fitz
Admiral: I am looking for a fair priced G26. I am a college student, so while I have seen many G27's selling for 400 that are very similar to yours (ie round count and what is included) I have been avoiding them because I want to get a 9mm so I can enjoy shooting at the range more comfortably. Please let me know if you do intend to sell and where you are located. Thanks.