Page 1 of 1
Bullet casting
Posted: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:52:22
by Jim
Anybody here cast your own?
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:43:06
by CowboyT
Yep.
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:51:27
by Jim
Good. I'm not alone. We'll talk some more.
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:37:29
by Palladin
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:44:05
by kelly
Sure do!! more than one Cal. Love it
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:47:04
by Jim
Great! We got a group! Now we need our own section. Hint, Rick?

Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 19:01:17
by gunderwood
Jim wrote:Great! We got a group! Now we need our own section. Hint, Rick?

Yes, we do need to keep you crazy, heavy metal poisoned casters away from us normal people.
Do you know where the term "mad hatter" came from and why? Just be careful and make sure you have good ventilation.

Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:20:18
by Jim
I've been casting and handling lead for about thirty years. I had a blood level test done recently and when the results came back, the nurse told me mine was lower than she had ever seen.
How's that for a lead handling safety program?
And, yes, G, I know where it started. But I don't use mercury in my alloy. A little tin? Yes. Even a little silver and antimony. But no mercury.
By the way, Kelly, I'm right down the road from you. I'm in Floyd. You need to come down here one day and we'll sit in the gun room and talk about Gunderwood.

Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 23:19:05
by kelly
Sounds good to me, I would like to talk about casting with someone All I know I learned on my own some the hard way!!! I am working on a reloading / casting room myself, The old coal room in the house.
Kelly
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 00:19:46
by Jim
Come on down!
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:06:18
by meadmkr
I picked up casting again after many years away from it. I'd gotten into it back in the mid-80's when I was a poor E4 in the service and there weren't a lot of local sources for fodder for my .5 4cal muzzleloade.
While I like the cast boolits from MissouriBulletCo they don't commercially cast hollowpoints. MP-Molds makes a very nice .452 brass mold which can give you either a HP (circular or penta-) or a flatpoint. Waiting for him to run another batch of molds for my .380 and 357. Cabelas has/recent-had their 6qt cast iron kettle in the bargain basement for $15 so once it gets delivered I can smelt down a bunch of lead I picked up on the CB forum. Need smaller ingots to fit in my Lee pot as well as to clean up a bunch of scrap lead.
There was some talk about a Cast&Greet since there seems like a few of us around the area (NoVA).
Cheers
Chris in Sterling
Re: Bullet casting
Posted: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:39:46
by CowboyT
Jim and I had a great conversation today. Turns out he likes the Lee moulds, too! The only other mould I'll purchase is one of those MiHec custom brass HP ones. Those things are pretty sweet, too.
Currently in the middle of a casting run making some 358-105-SWC "Crayola tip" boolits. I call 'em that because they look just like a Crayola crayon tip.

With a little tumble-lube (liquid Alox at the moment), they're great for light .38 Spl. The mould (yep, an aluminum 6-cavity) must have 15,000 boolits on its clock by now.