Thoughts on handgun w/CHP
Posted: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 00:29:53
I am a brand new shooter, having bought my first handgun a month ago. I am going to get my CHP and want to train with the weapon I intend to carry. I own the Springfield XDM 9mm with the 3.8" barrel, and some folks say they carry concealed with zero problems, even at my size (5'8", 155#). Other people recommend a slimmer gun, or a more compact gun, or - well, it seems if you ask 20 people, you get 40 different answers.
My questions:
1) Is anyone of lighter build carrying an XDM concealed? My Google-fu usually shows guys a lot bigger than I am.
2) It's been recommended that if I do carry multiple guns to stick with the same type as a newbie. With that in mind, I've been looking at the XD 9mm subcompact, but it seems the thickness of the grip would cause printing. Thoughts?
3) I also looked at the Ruger SR9C, and it's definitely thinner. The trigger, though, did not seem as nice, which leads me back to the concept in point #2. Is carrying a slightly thinner gun the trick, or does a good holster cover up the difference?
Side note - I did buy a Crossbreed SuperTuck based on pretty consistent feedback. It has not arrived.
The guys at NoVA Armament (http://novaarmament.com/) were very patient today as I tried multiple handguns multiple times. Thanks, guys!
My questions:
1) Is anyone of lighter build carrying an XDM concealed? My Google-fu usually shows guys a lot bigger than I am.
2) It's been recommended that if I do carry multiple guns to stick with the same type as a newbie. With that in mind, I've been looking at the XD 9mm subcompact, but it seems the thickness of the grip would cause printing. Thoughts?
3) I also looked at the Ruger SR9C, and it's definitely thinner. The trigger, though, did not seem as nice, which leads me back to the concept in point #2. Is carrying a slightly thinner gun the trick, or does a good holster cover up the difference?
Side note - I did buy a Crossbreed SuperTuck based on pretty consistent feedback. It has not arrived.
The guys at NoVA Armament (http://novaarmament.com/) were very patient today as I tried multiple handguns multiple times. Thanks, guys!
