Page 1 of 1

Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:53:03
by firstcavapache64
Governor Bob McDonnell Signs VA Restaurant Carry into Law



Fairfax, Va. - Governor Bob McDonnell has signed into law a NRA-backed measure allowing right-to-carry permit holders to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense in restaurants, providing they do not consume alcohol. State Senator Emmett Hanger (R-24) and Delegate Todd Gilbert (R-15) were the principal sponsors of Senate Bill 334/House Bill 505.



“This is a victory for self-defense in Virginia," said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “As headlines remind us, violent crime can happen anywhere. Law-abiding Virginia residents now have the option to carry a firearm in restaurants to defend themselves and their loved ones.”



The measure passed the State Senate in February by a margin of 22-18 and passed the House of Delegates in early March with a vote of 72-27. Virginia is the 42nd state to extend self-defense rights to permit holders in restaurants.



“The right to self-defense and the protection of loved ones in and outside the home is vital. We are pleased that Virginia passed these laws to enhance the self-defense rights of law-abiding folks in the Commonwealth,” concluded Cox. “The NRA would like to thank Governor Bob McDonnell and the lead bill sponsors, Senator Emmett Hanger and Delegate Todd Gilbert, as well as all the other legislators who supported this common-sense measure.”



This law will take effect July 1, 2010.



In addition, Governor McDonnell has also signed the following pro-gun bills into law:

House Bill 8/Senate Bill 3, sponsored by State Senator Ralph Smith (R-22) and Delegate Charles Carrico (R-5), allows Virginia residents to renew concealed carry permits by mail.

House Bill 109, sponsored by Delegate Mark Cole (R-88), repeals the statute which allows the governing body of any county to require the sellers of pistols and revolvers to furnish the Clerk of the Circuit Court with the name and address of the purchaser, date of purchase and the number, make, and caliber of the gun.

House Bill 871, authored by Delegate Ben Cline (R-24), clarifies that a person who is applying for a concealed handgun permit for the first time has the same right to an ore tenus (verbal or oral statements) hearing if the permit is denied as a person who has previously held a concealed handgun permit.

House Bill 1092, sponsored by Delegate Anne B. Crockett-Stark (R-6), gives retired law-enforcement the ability to carry a concealed handgun without a permit.

House Bill 1191, sponsored by Delegate H. Morgan Griffith (R-8), allows a circuit court judge to authorize the Clerk of Court to issue concealed handgun permits in instances where the application is complete, the background check does not indicate that the applicant is disqualified, and, after consulting with the local sheriff or police department, there are no other questions or issues surrounding the application.

Virginians can thank Governor Bob McDonnell for his Second Amendment support at (804) 786-2211 or click here to thank him via email.


The above text was taken from an email I received from the NRA-ILA lobby group.

It's about time!! Law goes into effect on July 1st. We should get together for a dinner somewhere to celebrate. Next fight is castle doctrine which is going to be hard with the liberal democrats in the senate.

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:12:44
by wylde007
W00T!

I'm still going to OC, but this is a victory for gun rights in general.

I just hope that restaurants aren't now inclined to post or to allow only "special" classes (read: permit holders) carry in their establishments.

If they do, they will lose my business as a matter of principle.

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:22:05
by cigarmanva
while i'm all for CCing in restaurants and am very happy this passed...the no drinking thing is just retarded

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:23:11
by wylde007
Retarded and unenforceable.

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:20:58
by NewColonial
Anyone want to predict when we'll see the first NEW "No Guns" sign to go up in Virginia Restaurant?

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:32:18
by wylde007
Ruckfudder's already did a peremptory.

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:26:07
by zephyp
wylde007 wrote:Ruckfudder's already did a peremptory.
No way...the fudruckers here in Annaldale has no problem with OC...I hope they dont start that crap up here but I know its coming.

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:28:51
by OakRidgeStars
Fuddruckers is no big loss... I can find an overpriced hamburger almost anywhere :roll:

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:04:58
by InspectorCallahan
I am very proud of this decision by our Governor. I have no problem with the "no drinking" aspect of the law. I'm not a believer that one should be mixing alcohol and guns. You just KNOW that if you had even one beer and had to defend yourself, the prosecuting attorney hired by the criminal or his family to sue you would be saying you were impaired to some degree, and that leaves just enough doubt in the jury's mind about you to make a conviction. Nope, this law works just fine. It might not be enforceable, but it will make most guys think twice before doing it.

Hey - we now have more rights than before, so it's a good thing.

InspectorCallahan

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:40:44
by cigarmanva
InspectorCallahan wrote:I am very proud of this decision by our Governor. I have no problem with the "no drinking" aspect of the law. I'm not a believer that one should be mixing alcohol and guns. You just KNOW that if you had even one beer and had to defend yourself, the prosecuting attorney hired by the criminal or his family to sue you would be saying you were impaired to some degree, and that leaves just enough doubt in the jury's mind about you to make a conviction. Nope, this law works just fine. It might not be enforceable, but it will make most guys think twice before doing it.

Hey - we now have more rights than before, so it's a good thing.

InspectorCallahan
while i agree with you, I also don't have even one drink and then drive. however it's legal to do so. The government has no right telling me when I can and cannot consume a legal substance while doing another legal activity. I also know that just one drink won't impair me to any degree where I can't drive or defend myself this is just another form of government control

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 00:38:54
by Diomed
zephyp wrote:No way...the fudruckers here in Annaldale has no problem with OC...I hope they dont start that crap up here but I know its coming.
Supposedly, their corporate has always forbidden it - now they're cracking down on franchisees who haven't followed central office policy dictates.

Re: Restaurant Carry Bill signed into law!!!!

Posted: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 19:03:58
by zephyp
Diomed wrote:
zephyp wrote:No way...the fudruckers here in Annaldale has no problem with OC...I hope they dont start that crap up here but I know its coming.
Supposedly, their corporate has always forbidden it - now they're cracking down on franchisees who haven't followed central office policy dictates.
Wow. I guess the VCDL meeting in Annadale will have to find another venue for fellowship after the monthly meeting...