Recent VCDL VA-ALERT - Help Needed on an Item Covered
Posted: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:47:19
I want to see if I can get some support from folks on this forum.
I'm sure many of you received your VCDL VA-ALERT message today about Legislative action items for 1/23/17. I am very excited about something listed in today's message. Specifically about HB 1432, legalizing the purchase and ownership of switchblade knives.
Thanks to Delegate Ware and Lingamfelter, HB 1432 is rapidly on its way to passing. This Bill not only removes switchblades from ownership restrictions under § 18.2-311, it also removes the restriction for conceal carry, currently in place under § 18.2-308.
It is critical that we support all of these pro-2A bills. However, I specifically ask that everyone, please take a brief moment to call, write, or email your State Legislature and ask them to support this Bill. This will be a huge win for the Second Amendment and the People of Virginia.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... sum+HB1432
A little background on my efforts:
Delegate Lingamfelter is the Committee Chair for Militia, Police and Public Safety. I have met Delegate Lingamfelter a few times, including about an hour he spent at my home during one of his campaigns. He and I have had some email and formal written correspondence about a few issues.
This past summer, I had sent Delegate Lingamfelter and several other members of the State Legislature, correspondence requesting an amendment of § 18.2-311, titled "Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.", removing switchblades from the code.
The code does not make it completely illegal to own a switch blade. What it does do is make it illegal to have any kind of transfer of a switch blade (buy, sell, trade, gift, etc.) and mere possession of a switchblade is prima facie evidence of intent to transfer. Basically, that means if you are in possession of a switchblade, you can be arrested and the burden has been shifted to prove yourself innocent, not the State having to prove guilt/intent.
My letters to Delegate Lingamfelter and other members of the State Legislature point out that this State Code is a violation of our US and Virginia Constitutional Right to bare arms, that all Citizens can freely and openly carry a firearm in the State, but we are not trustworthy enough to own a knife. I also point out the fact that there is no difference in ease of operation of an "assisted open" knife (which is perfectly legal) and an "automatic open" knife. I pointed out that even some completely manual knives can be opened just as fast, with the simple flick of the wrist.
I have no idea if my correspondence had a direct impact in the legislation being drafted and presented, but I can tell you that the people who represent you can't take action on your behalf if they don't hear from you. I am proud that I stay active in our government, even if only at the level of a Citizen. Let your voice be heard. They are listening.
I'm sure many of you received your VCDL VA-ALERT message today about Legislative action items for 1/23/17. I am very excited about something listed in today's message. Specifically about HB 1432, legalizing the purchase and ownership of switchblade knives.
Thanks to Delegate Ware and Lingamfelter, HB 1432 is rapidly on its way to passing. This Bill not only removes switchblades from ownership restrictions under § 18.2-311, it also removes the restriction for conceal carry, currently in place under § 18.2-308.
It is critical that we support all of these pro-2A bills. However, I specifically ask that everyone, please take a brief moment to call, write, or email your State Legislature and ask them to support this Bill. This will be a huge win for the Second Amendment and the People of Virginia.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... sum+HB1432
A little background on my efforts:
Delegate Lingamfelter is the Committee Chair for Militia, Police and Public Safety. I have met Delegate Lingamfelter a few times, including about an hour he spent at my home during one of his campaigns. He and I have had some email and formal written correspondence about a few issues.
This past summer, I had sent Delegate Lingamfelter and several other members of the State Legislature, correspondence requesting an amendment of § 18.2-311, titled "Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.", removing switchblades from the code.
The code does not make it completely illegal to own a switch blade. What it does do is make it illegal to have any kind of transfer of a switch blade (buy, sell, trade, gift, etc.) and mere possession of a switchblade is prima facie evidence of intent to transfer. Basically, that means if you are in possession of a switchblade, you can be arrested and the burden has been shifted to prove yourself innocent, not the State having to prove guilt/intent.
My letters to Delegate Lingamfelter and other members of the State Legislature point out that this State Code is a violation of our US and Virginia Constitutional Right to bare arms, that all Citizens can freely and openly carry a firearm in the State, but we are not trustworthy enough to own a knife. I also point out the fact that there is no difference in ease of operation of an "assisted open" knife (which is perfectly legal) and an "automatic open" knife. I pointed out that even some completely manual knives can be opened just as fast, with the simple flick of the wrist.
I have no idea if my correspondence had a direct impact in the legislation being drafted and presented, but I can tell you that the people who represent you can't take action on your behalf if they don't hear from you. I am proud that I stay active in our government, even if only at the level of a Citizen. Let your voice be heard. They are listening.
