Page 1 of 1

humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:07:28
by graybeard321
Got a hygrometer for Christmas, my son knew I was concerned about humidity level in my gun safe. It is running at about 60 % wondering at what level I need to get it down to. I have 1 dehumidifier in the safe but wondering if I need another. I have not noticed any rust but 60% seems high to me.

Re: humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 20:01:21
by jdonovan
yep 60% is high especially in winter. I ASSume you left the hygrometer in there for 24 hours before reading it?

what kind of dehumidifier do you have?

Re: humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:15:12
by graybeard321
I have left it in for a week to make sure. I have a Liberty 12" Electric Dehumidifier.

Re: humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:22:37
by jdonovan
electric rod is NOT a Dehumidifier! Its a heater.

What the electric rod does is heat the cooler room air that enters the safe, thereby decreasing its relative humidity.

Take the hygrometer and set it outside the safe and see what the % in the room. The safe should be lower with the heater in it. Could be the space in your house you have the safe is high in moisture. If the level outside the safe is 65-70% then. 60 inside the safe would be believable.

Re: humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 23:59:10
by graybeard321
My hygrometer gives me humidity both inside safe and room. it is 65 % in room (garage) I have been looking at Liberty Safe Eva-Dry Dehumidifier and will pick it up next week. unless you can recommend something better. Any idea what level I should get safe down to?

Re: humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 06:33:03
by SHMIV
You may want to do something about bringing down the humidity level in your garage. If your garage is like mine, there are tools and other things stored in there, that would benefit from dryer air.

I have found DampRid to be useful, though I've found DampRid containers to need monitoring. I put out some DampRid around my house, a few months ago, and one of them overflowed in less than a week. There is still a damp spot on my floor. My guess is that the chemicals in the water soaked into my floor, and continue to pull moisture from the air, into my floor. I have no clue how to remedy that.

I have also put envelopes of silicone based kitty litter in gun cases, which seems to have desirable results.

But, really, I think reducing the humidity level in your garage would help greatly in reducing the humidity level in your safe.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 09:45:43
by jdonovan
graybeard321 wrote:My hygrometer gives me humidity both inside safe and room. it is 65 % in room (garage)
AhHa, the culprit is found!

most garages are poorly sealed, because of the big doors, and it makes it hard to dehumidify them.

So you've got 3 choices
1) dehumidify the garage some
2) increase the heater inside the safe (higher temp, lower relative humidity)
3) go to a desiccant like eva-dry

if your garage is 65% in mid-winter, its probably a 80%+ swamp in July.

So my focus would be #1.
Any idea what level I should get safe down to?
40-60% is the goal. Too low and wood can dry out and shrink/crack. Too high and you get condensation and rust.

Re: humidity level in gun safe

Posted: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 13:40:05
by AlanM
You might like to know that Fresh StepĀ® Crystals for cat litter boxes is 100% silica gel.
If you want an inexpensive source of silica gel just stop by WalMart and you'll get 8 lbs for less than $2/lb.
Note: make sure you get the litter that contains NO clay, just silica gel. ie non-clumping.

I use it in my hearing aid dehumidifying storage box with good results.
YMMV.